Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Danila Klimovich to ELC

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Except not this at all?
I'm half joking, he's a prospect. He dominated the low level competition, it is what it is. To criticize him for his skating while he's going through half the team is a little funny. Too much inside edge? Seems to be using it to his advantage, so I'm more than happy to applaud him and wait til he faces better competition.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Based on what is happening in Belarus these days, Canucks were probably wise to sign him early and get him outta' there.

Abby Canucks or the QMJHL is probably the safest route now. The track record of 18-year old hockey players getting a decent amount of ice-time and prospect development in the KHL is marginal at best. No reason to go down the same path as they did with Podkolzin.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Based on what is happening in Belarus these days, Canucks were probably wise to sign him early and get him outta' there.

Abby Canucks or the QMJHL is probably the safest route now. The track record of 18-year old hockey players getting a decent amount of ice-time and prospect development in the KHL is marginal at best. No reason to go down the same path as they did with Podkolzin.
I agree. Coaches and GMs will say one thing but actions speak louder than words and European teams just don’t have much incentive to give valuable ice time to players who they know will be leaving.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I'm half joking, he's a prospect. He dominated the low level competition, it is what it is. To criticize him for his skating while he's going through half the team is a little funny. Too much inside edge? Seems to be using it to his advantage, so I'm more than happy to applaud him and wait til he faces better competition.

Why is it a little funny?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
This guy honestly looks a lot like 18yr old Pastrnak to me

I dont usually get excited for 2nd round picks but "Danila the Thrilla" has some serious skillz. Love this pick

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
no, it's not. watch closely and notice how he loses speed during his second set of cross-over. When he skates in a straight line with no cross-over he lands way too much on his inside edge.

A lot of that can be corrected with a little (or a LOT) less over handling of the puck.

He does have an above average first few steps; it’s the upper echelon speed he is missing. Bo was actually quite similar at the same age. Maybe less explosive even.

Though Bo’s improvement is more the exception than the rule. He put in crazy work to get his skating to where it is today.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The interesting thing about Klimovich is that he plays the game without much fear. He'll try anything out there, and plays with a bit of a swagger. Kind of reminds you of a bigger version of Nils Hoglander.

I'm sure some of Hoglander's opponents in Sweden were aggravated when he looked like he was 'hot-dogging' it out on the ice. But when you have supreme talent and stick-handling skills, you're going to try anything like lacrosse goals or stick-handling between the legs and getting off a shot on a shootout attempt.

I suspect though that because Hoglander played in the SHL, he's probably far further ahead of Klimovich when it comes to the defensive side of the game. But Trent Cull and the coaching staff can teach him that in Abbotsford.

Will be fascinating to see how his game develops. But skill and offense is something that can't be taught. You either have it or you don't. So filling in the blanks with defensive chops shouldn't be too hard for him to learn.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
According to the Athletic

Danila has flown to Bulgaria to receive his vaccinations.

They dont provide them in Belarus?

Athletic is speculating that this is another sign that Klimovich and Canucks are doing everything they can to get Danila to North America this fall.

I suspect the order of preference for the Canucks is :

1. AHL
2. QMJHL
3. KHL

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
This team isn’t in sleepy Utica any more, where people are lucky to catch a stream or some clipped hilights. Team will be under a microscope and fans will expect to see prospects play.

Disagree.

It doesnt benefit anyone for Klimovich to be just thrown out there because he is a top prospect for the Canucks.

If he isnt ready and force fed minutes, it can have significant set back on his development.

Abby Canucks have a lot of top AHL players on this team. Guys that could be point per game AHLers

Petan, Bailey, Sheldon Dries, Di Guiseepe, Dowling,

Then there's other top prospects for the club too: Gajovich, Lockwood

I think we need to be realistic about Danila and what will be best for him.

The guy played in the 3rd best Belarus league last year, to ask him to jump straight into AHL and have the pressure of a top 6 role might be too much.

If he is ready for AHL then he is ready and that is a homerun for Canuck scouting but if not then nothing wrong with spending the year in QMHL and beating up on 16, 17, 18 yr olds.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Something to keep in mind and perhaps cheer for.

The Olympic Qualifier for the 2022 Winter Olympics will start on Aug 26.

Belarus is now in the final round of Qualification.

3 Olympic Spots up for grabs between

Belarus
Lativa
Slovakia
Norway
Denmark
France
Austria
Italy
South Korea

Klimovich will most likely be part of this Belarus team and would be a member of their Olympic team should they qualify.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
From all reports the strongman President running Belarus makes Putin look like Mother Teresa. Dissidence is being crushed and political opponents are fleeing the country.

If Klimovich is now in Bulgaria, he needs to stay there until he can get the first flight to Canada. The miracle to me is that Klimovich was able to grow up and play minor hockey in Belarus and still become a top NHL prospect.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
From all reports the strongman President running Belarus makes Putin look like Mother Teresa. Dissidence is being crushed and political opponents are fleeing the country.

If Klimovich is now in Bulgaria, he needs to stay there until he can get the first flight to Canada. The miracle to me is that Klimovich was able to grow up and play minor hockey in Belarus and still become a top NHL prospect.

Sorry, but you are wrong. Mother Teresa was a bitch. She wasn't all that religious, and like many Catholics, she believed that suffering was good. Refusing pain medication because it was good for their souls. I of course understand the point you were trying to make, but MT was not a particularly nice person.

And keep Klimovich away from Belarus!!!

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

Unless he's an outspoken political dissident he's fine in Belarus. Nobody cares about some 18yo hockey player in that sense. Dynamo Minsk is always loaded with foreign players. This wouldn't occur if it was an unsafe environment. Hell, the new Dynamo and national team coach is a Canadian; assistant coach is ex-NHLer Mikhail Grabovsky.

I'm no supporter of what's going on there, but he'd be fine in the KHL. Ice time might be a problem though. His only experience against men at higher levels is the World Championships and he looked overwhelmed at times. Not sure the AHL is a good idea either.

Last edited:
Reactions: TBS

Kearns

Too good to be true, no?
Jun 7, 2008
Kamloops, BC
Nah. If anything Russia would have "gifted" the Sputnik vaccine. Or maybe even China with the Sinopharm et al.

Problem is actually delivering on vaccines in arms.

Canada only recognizes 4 vaccines right now. Access to Pfizer, Moderna, J&J and AstraZeneca is not great for people outside North America. W/o one of the 4, he'd be looking at quarantine time. Maybe he traveled to get an approved vaccine.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
The western powers have a near complete stranglehold over the vaccine supply.

well belarus has no reason to buy scarce western meds when russia is making satellite states sweet deals for sputnik the way they used to offer t64s

it is likely a not bad adenovirus based vaccine comparable to or better than astrozenica or j&j. they just did not test it to western standards so it is not a known quantity. latest indications are good though.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Nah, the problem is the Belarusian population is quite anti-vaccination. The government dismissed the seriousness of Covid at first. Very little info was made available. Nobody cared, nor do many people there trust government institutions. Only when the virus became a problem did they start importing Sputnik. But the population saw the importation as a pro-Russia political ploy and didn't want (or trust) it. It's a disaster.

Last edited:
Reactions: jd22

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Based on that highlight package, Klimovich already has an NHL shot....his wristers and one-timers from the slot would be tough for even NHL goalies to stop.

And as far as stickhandling and on-ice awareness, he's not far away either. The only question-mark is skating, and once he starts working with pro hockey coaches in NA, I expect that to come around quickly.

Really hope he sticks with the Abby Canucks.....would be worth a trip out to Abbotsford and the price of admission.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
well belarus has no reason to buy scarce western meds when russia is making satellite states sweet deals for sputnik the way they used to offer t64s

it is likely a not bad adenovirus based vaccine comparable to or better than astrozenica or j&j. they just did not test it to western standards so it is not a known quantity. latest indications are good though.
The actual problem with vaccination at least in Russia and by extension I think its fair to assume Belorus is that Putin and Co. have spent an inordinate amount of effort trying to smear and discount western vaccines which in turn has made the public sceptical of vaccination in general.

Reactions: TBS

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Nah, the problem is the Belarusian population is quite anti-vaccination. The government dismissed the seriousness of Covid at first. Very little info was made available. Nobody cared, nor do many people there trust government institutions. Only when the virus became a problem did they start importing Sputnik. But the population saw the importation as a pro-Russia political ploy and didn't want (or trust) it. It's a disaster.
And this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->