Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Conor Garland to 5-Year Deal ($4.95M AAV)

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Garland is in a funk right now and has been underwhelming to his standards. He was earmarked to be a mainstay on the third scoring line along with Horvat or Miller and Hoglander... but when Miller regressed back to wing, he is left with Dries. He is a victim of circumstances as he is not a playdriver by himself. lets see how he does with Strudnika

Garland is a nice player for the right price and in the right mix. Bottom line though is that he is too expensive to be a third line winger and, if they keep Kuzmenko and Horvat, I don't see them using him often in the top 6. If you're paying $5M for a third line player he better be able to play centre and be one of the better 3Cs in the league.

That said, if they are determined to do a faux rebuild and let Kuzmenko and Horvat go, I can see them keeping Garland to fill a role in the top 6, with Miller moving back to centre

Coyotes absolutely fleeced us in that trade. Set the team back years.
They would likely have to pay more to get rid of OEL than they would get for Garland. Think about that for a moment.
I used to think the Neely trade was the worst in Canucks history. It doesn't even come close to the OEL trade. It's just sad.

Reactions: quat

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The OEL trade is one of the worst trades in NHL history.

In the case of most bad trades - like the Neely deal - they’re bad because of unexpected development or regression from the players involved. In this case, it turned out exactly as expected from the second the deal was made.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
The OEL trade is one of the worst trades in NHL history.

In the case of most bad trades - like the Neely deal - they’re bad because of unexpected development or regression from the players involved. In this case, it turned out exactly as expected from the second the deal was made.
to me, the worst part of that trade is that we saw from a mile away that its a trade that only serves one selfish purpose, its a hail mary to save a GM's job at the expense of the club's future. I do not understand how our "meddling" owner would let him do that unless he himself is blinded by making the playoffs the next year and sell the team in short order. To offload all those trash contracts with a year to go to take on one with 6 is just insane. and then a top 10 pick for a soso small second line winger is the cherry on top.

Reactions: PavelBure10 and MS

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
to me, the worst part of that trade is that we saw from a mile away that its a trade that only serves one selfish purpose, its a hail mary to save a GM's job at the expense of the club's future. I do not understand how our "meddling" owner would let him do that unless he himself is blinded by making the playoffs the next year and sell the team in short order. To offload all those trash contracts with a year to go to take on one with 6 is just insane. and then a top 10 pick for a soso small second line winger is the cherry on top.
Two freaking years Benning put into that trade. That level of incompetence will be difficult to exceed.

I thought after it died down the first go round, we would be saved from his stupidity, but no, he kept scratching that itch and now we've got a gangrenous leg.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raistlin

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Jim Bennings had bowel movements that week, so he pulled the trigger

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
garland traded at 25% retained would be a steal of a deal for another team... he put up 52 pts last year mostly even strength

Reactions: quat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad