Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tyler Myers to 5-Year, $30m Deal ($6m AAV)

Thoughts on the contract?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Yeah.. He keeps taking thes awful risks like signing Tavares and moving a 2nd line center that plays on their 3rd line for a young 1st pairing D man.

They will be so screwd once he stops making moves and just lies there in cap hell forever and ever.

The Barrie deal was a good deal for Dubas, considering the mess that Dubas has made.

However - there is a good chance that Barrie will gone after this season.

Toronto had better pray that Sandin and Liljegren take significant steps this year.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
ZZZ-Giraffe-Myers.jpg

Jet's fan coming in peace :surrenderit is with heavy hearts that we lose our friendly Giraffe, Tyler Myers, to your great team. He will carry the weaker players on his back for you guys, on the path to victory. Also don't feed the Giraffes from over the glass - it distracts them. Good luck to Tyler and the Canucks this season. He's a talent.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
View attachment 242271

Jet's fan coming in peace :surrenderit is with heavy hearts that we lose our friendly Giraffe, Tyler Myers, to your great team. He will carry the weaker players on his back for you guys, on the path to victory. Also don't feed the Giraffes from over the glass - it distracts them. Good luck to Tyler and the Canucks this season. He's a talent.

But why does he have to carry the refs, too?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Just realized something...

Myers puts us in a peculiar situation as far as our defense pairings go. He needs to be sheltered and we definitely want to shelter Quinn Hughes.
Also we dont want to have Hughes have to cover for Myers short comings in his own end so we should have them on separate pairs.

Can we shelter two defensive pairs..?

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria

Myers puts us in a peculiar situation as far as our defense pairings go. He needs to be sheltered and we definitely want to shelter Quinn Hughes.
Also we dont want to have Hughes have to cover for Myers short comings in his own end so we should have them on separate pairs.

I'm leaning towards trying them together, playing them behind 40-6, and heavy OZ starts.

Would give 2 good transition players behind our best offensive forwards, they'd likely see easier QoC seeing as Petty will draw top defensive units, Hughes's agility will help the pairing vs fleet forwards, and Myers's frame and reach will help vs larger ones.

Allows Green to just shelter one pairing, and as long as they can recover the puck (this is TBD) they should excel at transitioning it up the ice.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I'm leaning towards trying them together, playing them behind 40-6, and heavy OZ starts.

Would give 2 good transition players behind our best offensive forwards, they'd likely see easier QoC seeing as Petty will draw top defensive units, Hughes's agility will help the pairing vs fleet forwards, and Myers's frame and reach will help vs larger ones.

Allows Green to just shelter one pairing, and as long as they can recover the puck (this is TBD) they should excel at transitioning it up the ice.

I dont think that is fair to Hughes still... But that is probably the line if thinking. We will see. This could end up troublesome.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

Yup. Basically it will either be

Edler - Stecher
Benn - Tanev
Hughes - Myers

Or

Edler - Tanev
Benn - Stecher
Hughes - Myers

Imo. A lot will rest on which of those pairings gel, whether Stecher can handle better / more minutes (he did well last year) and of course if Benn can handle #4 minutes. Both players will have to step up so that the team can continue to shelter Myers as Winnipeg did.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Yup. Basically it will either be

Edler - Stecher
Benn - Tanev
Hughes - Myers

Or

Edler - Tanev
Benn - Stecher
Hughes - Myers

Imo. A lot will rest on which of those pairings gel, whether Stecher can handle better / more minutes (he did well last year) and of course if Benn can handle #4 minutes. Both players will have to step up so that the team can continue to shelter Myers as Winnipeg did.

And Benn needs to be on the bottom pairing too to be effective... Yikes.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I don't think you look at it as 2nd pairing/3rd pairing. More like dz pairing and oz pairing. Benn will be on the dz pairing, Hughes on the oz.

Reactions: elwin316

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
And Benn needs to be on the bottom pairing too to be effective... Yikes.

The other issue is that one of Myers few redeeming qualities is that he is adequate at skating the puck up ice (and little else) however Hughes excels at this, so although in some ways it makes sense to put them together stylistically there’s a good chance it won’t work. So perhaps the best we can do is

Edler - Stecher
Hughes - Tanev
Benn - Myers

It’s a real shame the team couldn’t have landed Barrie or Subban as they would’ve been much much better targets than Myers. When you look at his role and style I don’t see much of a fit on this team.

Reactions: mossey3535

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

That's really the no brainer way to do it. The other pairs don't matter too much because outside of Edler they're all basically shutdown guys anyways.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
I see a shutdown pairing of Edler and Myers

Then Hughes with Tanev as this pairing should be safe, and gives us a great combo of O and D.

Then Benn and Stetcher. Gritty hard working third pairing.

Reactions: settinguptheplay

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
I’d rather pair Hughes with Benn. Benn actually plays better on the right side as a left hand D...i know it’s weird but he could play second pairing with Hughes. He doesn’t need to do much just get the puck to Hughes and play a hard gritty defensive game. I’d give Tanev 15 games before he’s down so we can bring up Juolevi have him play with Myers or Stecher

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

this. big but sheltered minutes. the other two pairs carry the dzone starts.

Reactions: alternate

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Does anyone know if any of the current analytics sites do WOWY possession stats anymore? Curious to see Myers' numbers away from Kulikov.

You don't need to cover for Myers in a sheltered role.

Hughes-Myers getting offensive starts behind the Pettersson/Horvat lines is a good look for next season.

Also as lost as Myers gets running around his own zone, he defends the neutral zone quite well. His controlled zone entries against rates are quite a bit better than both the Jets and NHL average.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
so consensus is Myers on the 3rd pairing, or sheltered with o-zone starts.

All for the excellent price of being the highest paid player on the team . . . or am I forgetting someone . . .

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I should also add that my Gaunce argument went a hell of a lot better than your glowing support for the Eriksson signing, your glowing support for the Gudbranson trade, your glowing support for the Gagner signing, and your glowing support for the Beagle signing.

Why should we believe that you’re right this time on Myers after looking ridiculous every previous offseason for the moves you’ve supported?
Its amazing you had 7 likes for this inaccurate take.

Eriksson:
i was happy that the Sedins got a winger to play with....never liked the contract....could never have dreamed he would be as awful as he has been....was a very good player at one point in this league. Any support i had was with the realization that our GM and ownership were going in a different direction than i wanted. So its something i would not have been doing.
"yess now avoid Brouwer and sign Hamhuis and Connolly"....... was my 1st take

Gagner:
i really didnt care too much about...wanted 1 less year if you can find a quote where i cared beyond...depth can play the pp and create competition for the kids whatever go ahead fill your boots.

Jay Beagle : Sting101
"Beagle is fine for a couple years. And 3 is what i expect given the state of this team and what Jay can command

Sets the tone all over the place. Good guy, great soldier, gym rat who shows that you can still improve late into your 20's and early 30's. He will be a good mentor and can play RW as well as C if Gaudette pushes in.

Obviously 2 yrs would be ideal but when you're a bottom feeder your at the agents mercy. i'm fully confident he is more useful than trash can Gagner who is absolute garbage for another 2yrs and basically looks like he's trying to avoid getting hit by a bus half the time. i do like that between him and Sutter they can eat the bulk of the defensive duties so Pettersson can get the Sedin treatment.

I also believe this means Gaudette will start in Utica barring injuries. Not all that terrible as so did Jake Guentzel for 30+ games before he went to the Pens and it's entirely likely someone will be injured before the season starts anyway."

My 1st response to Gudbranson deal (Sting101 post #982)
"This trade is garbage IMO.

The Panthers are laughing all the way to the bank. With Petrovic and Matheson they wont miss him at all. Except in the odd scrum.

Reasons
1. Bad timing. With free agency and teams needing to clear roster cap space its entirely likely a bargain could have come available before the end of summer. Eg Ehrhoff Franson Garrison.

2. Cost. Overpayment IMO. You know its bad when the GM is quoted admitting it before the ink is dry. McCann is going to be a fast 2 way 30 goal scorer with great compete and the 2nd rounder is 3 picks higher than the player that just made Gudbranson expendable in Alex Petrovic. Considering where this team is at its just mind numbing.

3 Failure to assess biggest organizational needs. Instead of showing patience with our talented youth. Just like the Shinkaruk trade we decide to patchwork renovate a 28th place team. Its beyond delusional. A 29th place offense about to lose a season removed 30 goal scorer in Vrbata and now Shink and McCann? Plus Burr and Higgins on the outs. Who the hell is going to score goals?

4. Player valuation. Just surrendered 3.5-5 million in cap space to a offensive black hole that was 136th in the league in takeaways. I like Gudbranson were supremely lacking in size and snarl that can play 20 minutes a night making players pay a price and hes a righty but we just payed with 2 excellent youngsters 1 a surefire NHLer that can snipe so that we have 3.5 million less to spend this offseason. Its beyond stupid to think that 2 expansion drafts plus a couple more UFA offseasons wouldnt produce some excellent alternatives for next to nothing. Gudbranson is a 3rd overall.....who cares? Rathje Barker Schenn Bogosian Reinhart just off top of my head come to mind. And isnt local guy Karl Alzner a UFA next summer? So while smart teams free up cap space and load up on draft picks we become buyers for the Sedins and Millers reno.....WTF!

5. What the hell happened to the self proclaimed direction of drafting and developing? Its sad...analysts are saying well its pretty obvious the Canucks are in rebuild mode now but our delusional GM thinks its time to tweak his lineup for contention.

We are going to regret this trade for years to come....just a terrible move IMO."

So feel free to apologize.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

I agree with this completely.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
so consensus is Myers on the 3rd pairing, or sheltered with o-zone starts.

All for the excellent price of being the highest paid player on the team . . . or am I forgetting someone . . .

I'm not looking at it like that, I think we will likely somewhat equalize the pairings depending on who is playing their best game. We will then have our more standard pairing for an 0-zone starts, d-zone starts, and special teams.

I could speculate the pairings, but it's somewhat difficult to do that without seeing actual working chemistry and without knowing how far along Hughes will be. Stecher played a decent amount of time with Edler last season and did not look out of place, but I do think they will seriously look at the viability of a Myers and Edler pairing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->