Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Mitch Eliot (Michigan State) to 3-year ELC

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Man this article is triggering me:

Canucks add to right side depth on defence with signing of 20-year-old Mitch Eliot
"At the NHL level, the Canucks’ right side depth is Chris Tanev, Erik Gudbranson, Troy Stecher, and Alex Biega. The only one of those four that provides much hope for the future is Stecher and it’s unclear how much the organization believes in him. [referencing a previous article] So the need for right-side depth should be obvious."

Stecher is literally the best Canuck dman this year lmao

Reactions: geebaan

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Man this article is triggering me:

Canucks add to right side depth on defence with signing of 20-year-old Mitch Eliot
"At the NHL level, the Canucks’ right side depth is Chris Tanev, Erik Gudbranson, Troy Stecher, and Alex Biega. The only one of those four that provides much hope for the future is Stecher and it’s unclear how much the organization believes in him. [referencing a previous article] So the need for right-side depth should be obvious."

Stecher is literally the best Canuck dman this year lmao

No he's not. Not even close. IMO Stecher has been a minor disappointment. I thought he'd solidify himself as a top 4, hopefully a legit #3, but really he seems to have settled in as a third pairing guy with limited offensive upside.

I still like him, but he hasn't been better than Edler Tanev or Hutton, and I don't think (anymore) that he's cemented in as part of the next core unfortunately.

Reactions: THE Green Man

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just goes to show the difference between the NCAA and CHL....Eliot produced virtually nothing offensively at Michigan State, but moves to Sarnia is amongst the top-10 blueline scorers in the OHL. Traditionally over-age d-men top out as AHL players at best. But I suppose it's worth the gamble that Eliot might be an exception.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
So far Benning has done a decent job with UDFA blueliners. Stecher, Sautner, Chatfield and McEnemy (not sure if he was Benning or Gillis) have all turned into decent depth pieces for the organization, even if Stecher has been the only one to make a significant impact with the big club. But AHL contributers/depth call ups from UDFA are good adds.

May 31, 2006
Just goes to show the difference between the NCAA and CHL....Eliot produced virtually nothing offensively at Michigan State, but moves to Sarnia is amongst the top-10 blueline scorers in the OHL. Traditionally over-age d-men top out as AHL players at best. But I suppose it's worth the gamble that Eliot might be an exception.
CHL is mostly 16-20 year olds, NCAA is mostly 19-24 year olds.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
CHL is mostly 16-20 year olds, NCAA is mostly 19-24 year olds.
Exactly. And that's what makes the performances of guys like Boeser, Madden and Hughes a lot more impressive. Ripping it up in NCAA Division I hockey is a whole lot tougher in your draft-plus-one year, compared to someone like Lind piling up points in the WHL.

And when you're 20 years old like Eliot, you should be even more dominant playing in the OHL.

Reactions: Tim Calhoun

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Mitch Eliot's Sarnia Sting lost 6-1 tonight and are now down 3-0 in their first round OHL series. Eliot is pointless in the series and -4, with 3 of those minuses coming in tonight's game.

Presuming Sarnia are eliminated pronto, could we see Eliot ... anywhere? Or is he clearly playing like a patient etherized upon a table and undeserving of any attention till prospects camp?

Reactions: 701

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Mitch Eliot's Sarnia Sting lost 6-1 tonight and are now down 3-0 in their first round OHL series. Eliot is pointless in the series and -4, with 3 of those minuses coming in tonight's game.

Presuming Sarnia are eliminated pronto, could we see Eliot ... anywhere? Or is he clearly playing like a patient etherized upon a table and undeserving of any attention till prospects camp?

With Utica's blueline absolutely desimated I don't think it's out of the question Eliot could get an ATO. My guess though, he doesn't and it'll be prospects development camp we see him.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Dont know why but there have been so many hockey players (minor leaguers/jr players) who are named Mitch Eliot or Elliott or Elliot or whatever spelling, always stuck out to me

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

April is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
April is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

It is! It's the cruelest month! I never noticed how well that applies to life as a Canucks fan.

Reactions: 701

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
With Utica's blueline absolutely desimated I don't think it's out of the question Eliot could get an ATO. My guess though, he doesn't and it'll be prospects development camp we see him.
I could be wrong, but I don't believe Eliot can play for the Comets this season.

He can't sign an AHL tryout as he's on a NHL contract that doesn't slide. Also because he's on a NHL contract and wasn't in the AHL as of the NHL trade deadline he can't be assigned to the AHL for the remainder of the season and the playoffs.

Reactions: lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Sarnia lost in OT tonight, and Mitch Eliot's junior career is over.

Next step?

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
I could be wrong, but I don't believe Eliot can play for the Comets this season.

He can't sign an AHL tryout as he's on a NHL contract that doesn't slide. Also because he's on a NHL contract and wasn't in the AHL as of the NHL trade deadline he can't be assigned to the AHL for the remainder of the season and the playoffs.

So I was wrong about Eliot.

TheAHL.com

Turns out he can be loaned to the Comets even though he wasn't in the AHL at the trade deadline.

Reactions: lindgren

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
So I was wrong about Eliot.

TheAHL.com

Turns out he can be loaned to the Comets even though he wasn't in the AHL at the trade deadline.

Eliot is eligible for the AHL because he signed his NHL contract for this season before the TDL but wasn't on a NHL roster at the TDL. Being in juniors doesn't stop him from playing in the AHL after his junior season ended. The two key points is signing his ELC before the deadline and not being on a NHL roster at the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->