Confirmed with Link: Canucks Sign D Luke Schenn to 2-Year, 1-Way Deal ($850K AAV)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Totally fine with Schenn as the "spare D" for a couple years at that price. If he legitimately plays himself up into a more regular role, so be it i guess. Though given what Schenn is as a player...that's more than likely a serious indictment of the rest of the defence corps. Depth guys who are capable enough, cheap, and actually want to be there are nice though.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
He’s a bad hockey player who had a decent tiny sample size here three seasons ago.

There are 31 fanbases in the league that think this player sucks and one who is weirdly attached to him.

The bubble will burst pretty quickly.
Tampa fans seemed to like him. Nothing wrong with him as a 7th D. Oh wait he was signed by Benning so it’s the worst signing ever.

Nice Avatar by the way. How do you like the job Francis has done for your new team so far?

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Tampa fans seemed to like him. Nothing wrong with him as a 7th D. Oh wait he was signed by Benning so it’s the worst signing ever.

Nice Avatar by the way. How do you like the job Francis has done for your new team so far?

Not sure if he saw the disclaimer about bashing the Canucks while having an Kraken avatar.

Note to anyone else, yall trolling.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
You guys keep saying 7th Dman spot for Luke, but isn't it possible that Schenn is going to be Huggie Bear's D-partner this season? Who else would it be?

Because if that's the case, that means Rathbone and Juolevi are going to be fighting for the same spot in the bottom pairing with Poolman, and if Hamonik stays healthy, then neither of them are playing. And I think if one was betting, the safer odds would be that Rathbone wins that spot. I wonder if we'll see a Juolevi trade this season?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
You guys keep saying 7th Dman spot for Luke, but isn't it possible that Schenn is going to be Huggie Bear's D-partner this season? Who else would it be?

Because if that's the case, that means Rathbone and Juolevi are going to be fighting for the same spot in the bottom pairing with Poolman, and if Hamonik stays healthy, then neither of them are playing. And I think if one was betting, the safer odds would be that Rathbone wins that spot. I wonder if we'll see a Juolevi trade this season?

I'm not sure I follow. I would assume Hamonic will be Hughes' partner again. OEL/Myers as the "top" pairing, Poolman and Juolevi/Rathbone as the 3rd pair. Schenn as the 7.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I'm not sure I follow. I would assume Hamonic will be Hughes' partner again. OEL/Myers as the "top" pairing, Poolman and Juolevi/Rathbone as the 3rd pair. Schenn as the 7.
Poolman was brought into to play with OEL

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Poolman was brought into to play with OEL
What makes you think so? What Melvin posted above looks super obvious to me. Just because our RD is a trainwreck doesn't mean it isn't clearly defined what the plan is. If we're going on merit Woo might be on our top pairing by the new year.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
What makes you think so? What Melvin posted above looks super obvious to me. Just because our RD is a trainwreck doesn't mean it isn't clearly defined what the plan is. If we're going on merit Woo might be on our top pairing by the new year.
An article on the athletic. The plan is poolman and OEL

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
An article on the athletic. The plan is poolman and OEL
Ok. We will see I guess. If Hamonic plays with Hughes then Myers is what ??
Getting damn close to Eriksson status. Funny (not really) they make exactly the same salary and were both signed as ufa's by Jim. The Athletic has some fine writers but I take anything I read there with many grains of salt.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Getting damn close to Eriksson status. Funny (not really) they make exactly the same salary and were both signed as ufa's by Jim. The Athletic has some fine writers but I take anything I read there with many grains of salt.
Many of them have strong bias toward their own team but they will never admit it

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
They didn’t invent it: they spoke to the Canucks. OEL Poolman
Hughes Hamonic
Rathbone/ Hunt - Myers

yes Myers needs to go after this season

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Damn what does his buyout look like because nobody is trading for him. Unless we give up our next 1st or something. I notice that HF doesn't have an emoticon for hair on fire or i would have used it here.
In a world where Del zotto gets term and $2MM per year and Gudbranson has value, I suspect Myers could be traded

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Damn what does his buyout look like because nobody is trading for him. Unless we give up our next 1st or something. I notice that HF doesn't have an emoticon for hair on fire or i would have used it here.

He's pretty much buyout-proof, unfortunately another Benning special that will be hard to get rid of.

Reactions: MarkMM

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Schenn played an important role as the 7th D filling in admirably for the Lightning in the playoffs in some very tight and intense games during their back to back Championships. He’s more than capable of being an effective permanent bottom pairing defenceman in the NHL.

Last edited:

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
We literally just took on a bottom ten contract and a few months ago gave Pearson a 3 year $10m deal because his agent said he will get that elsewhere
You are seeing what worse forwards are signing for right?
At least Pearson we know what we have and is well liked. Bitching over a 3×3 for a guy that can score twenty while being excellent defensively really shows that your hate for Benning is getting harder to justify now that most of our cap is spent on top 6 and top 4 D. Even OEL at 7 isn't really that bad considering nobody complained about Edler making 6 million at 34-35.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
At least Pearson we know what we have and is well liked. Bitching over a 3×3 for a guy that can score twenty while being excellent defensively really shows that your hate for Benning is getting harder to justify now that most of our cap is spent on top 6 and top 4 D. Even OEL at 7 isn't really that bad considering nobody complained about Edler making 6 million at 34-35.
I agree with you so hard it hurts

Pearson isn’t a garbage player, he is a good role depth player, if this contract was signed at the end of the Covid bubble playoffs everybody would have been fine and dandy
When this are bad everything is negative

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Why compare Pearson’s contract only with other bad contracts? Why not with good value contracts? It’s easy to have a positive view if your opportunity cost is only with worse options.

I think Pearson is an average third line forward. He scores a lot because he was strapped to Horvat’s wing and Horvat is a really good offensive producer. Pearson is a net front goal guy with the occasional transition shot from the wing. I think he’s average - but trustable - defensively and is a slow skater.

I would rather have bet younger and cheaper.

Again, your OEL opportunity cost is OEL vs (insert supposed worse situation here). I think Edler provided less risk and better value on his previous contract than OEL likely will for the duration of his. If I defended the Edler contract that Jimbo gave out and saw the value he provided but you don’t, does that make you a whiney bitching bitter fan like you’re implying I am for not liking the Pearson contract? No.

OEL’s buyout would take him until 2030 if it came down to that. There is a significant risk if OEL isn’t a top pairing defenseman by performance.

I agree with you so hard it hurts

Pearson isn’t a garbage player, he is a good role depth player, if this contract was signed at the end of the Covid bubble playoffs everybody would have been fine and dandy
When this are bad everything is negative

Unfortunately, we have to acknowledge that Pearson has not looked great and has not produced at a high rate since early 2020. This has looked like a player trending down and this isn’t hindsight.

I called for him to be dealt at this deadline. He was the one player I felt should have been dealt above all else - especially considering the LW rental market was Taylor Hall and Foligno. I could have seen teams desiring Pearson - depending on the hole in the roster - above those guys.

To the last point about signing him after the bubble, that would have been stupid then. It’s a good straw attempt, but it would have made no sense to sign that contract then when you consider the meal of RFA deals they had to handle this summer.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Schenn played an important role as the 7th D filling in admirably for the Lightning in the playoffs in some very tight and intense games during their back to back Championships. He’s more than capable of being an effective permanent bottom pairing defenceman in the NHL.

TB played him 9 minutes/game because he couldn't really be trusted. He's been ineffective for the last two years despite playing some of the softest minutes for the best team in the NHL.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
TB played him 9 minutes/game because he couldn't really be trusted. He's been ineffective for the last two years despite playing some of the softest minutes for the best team in the NHL.

It’s the way of some. OEL was just having a down year because he was unhappy/pouting (ignore the previous 3 seasons)!

Schenn was just on a deep team and is easily a third pairing guy!

Myers is going to bounce back from his off seasons in Winnipeg!

Hamonic will bounce back with the job security and a normal season!

Juolevi will prove to be a NHL regular!

Schenn seems to be a fine person and he can be a 7-8 guy in the NHL. The difference with this blueline is unlike Tampa there aren’t 4 or 5 other d-men that can carry him when he is in the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad