Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D - Brogan Rafferty

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
After a big year in Utica in his first year in pro hockey, and a guy who's already 25, you'd think Rafferty would have the inside track on one of the Canucks blueline openings. But there must be some holes in his game, because he rarely gets mentioned by the Canucks front office types.

Again, I defer to Utica watchers who watched him for an entire season. Is there some reason why he appears to be at bottom of the depth chart, behind Juolevi, and maybe even Rathbone and Chatfield?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
After a big year in Utica in his first year in pro hockey, and a guy who's already 25, you'd think Rafferty would have the inside track on one of the Canucks blueline openings. But there must be some holes in his game, because he rarely gets mentioned by the Canucks front office types.

Again, I defer to Utica watchers who watched him for an entire season. Is there some reason why he appears to be at bottom of the depth chart, behind Juolevi, and maybe even Rathbone and Chatfield?

He gets praised by Green all the time and during the year, Canucks media was reporting how impressed they are with Rafferty and how they want him in the line-up. He will make it as the 3rd pairing RD.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
He gets praised by Green all the time and during the year, Canucks media was reporting how impressed they are with Rafferty and how they want him in the line-up. He will make it as the 3rd pairing RD.

no he won't. one game, he'd get turned inside out.

media attention and public praise doesn't mean much either

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I'm really excited to see a Juolevi-Rafferty tandem. I think they are a good match stylistically and provides us some puck moving ability and skill on the bottom pair.

Rafferty also gives us a PP2 point shot option.
If you're projecting down the line with stars in your eyes I can see it. But as is? They would get ventilated and be separated before two periods passed.
Neither are good at defending the rush.

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
Just wanted to correct my previous post, it seems Jacob Truscott has actually played some minutes on the right at Michigan, so there is a little bit of hope for a RD there.

And yes I would like to hear more about Rafferty’s rush defense ability from Utica watchers. If he doesn’t figure it out within the next 12 months.....

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The top 4 is clearly set. Myers Hughs Edler and Schmidt.

so it appears that we have 4 players fighting for 3 spots. Rathbone Juolevi Rafferty and Benn. It seems clear that Juolevi is pretty much guaranteed a spot right now, management wants to justify the pick. Its just a matter of how they are going to group this bunch ... certainly the 3 younger players (not including Hughes) are going to be "sheltered" ...

Outside chance that Woo gets a look. And next year we have Tryamkin added in ... 2121 - 22 is going to be an interesting year.

edit - Canucks army had this review of our D for next year. Simply put, somewhat better. Add in Tryamkin the following year, our D is not bad for the next 5 years.

For Better or For Worse: Did the Canucks’ defence improve this offseason?

Last edited:
Reactions: iloovRMB

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
I don't see Rafferty making the team, but who knows with this group. My money's on Rathbone, he's the guy who intrigues me the most.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Rafferty will make the team unless Canucks sign another RHD, they aren't going to roll the defence with only 1 RHD in the blue-line.

It will likely look like this:
Hughes-Schmidt
Edler-Myers
Julovei/Benn-Rafferty

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Rafferty will make the team unless Canucks sign another RHD, they aren't going to roll the defence with only 1 RHD in the blue-line.

Hughes-Schmidt
Edler-Myers
Julovei/Benn-Rafferty

That third pairing is going to get absolutely throttled.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006

so it appears that we have 4 players fighting for 3 spots. Rathbone Juolevi Rafferty and Benn. It seems clear that Juolevi is pretty much guaranteed a spot right now, management wants to justify the pick. Its just a matter of how they are going to group this bunch ... certainly the 3 younger players (not including Hughes) are going to be "sheltered" ...

Outside chance that Woo gets a look. And next year we have Tryamkin added in ... 2121 - 22 is going to be an interesting year.

edit - Canucks army had this review of our D for next year. Simply put, somewhat better. Add in Tryamkin the following year, our D is not bad for the next 5 years.

is it really impossible now to pry Cernak from TB after that Sergachev deal? I was still holding out hope and am still amazed no one tenders a sheet to him. That top 4 of ours is so thin.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
is it really impossible now to pry Cernak from TB after that Sergachev deal? I was still holding out hope and am still amazed no one tenders a sheet to him. That top 4 of ours is so thin.
really? I think we are actually now in good shape. You have Meyers, Schmidt, Edler and Hughes. how is that bad. With Rathbone Juolevi Rafferty and Benn to back them up. and probably Tryamkin next year. thin? Probably near the best in the league in 21 - 22.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
really? I think we are actually now in good shape. You have Meyers, Schmidt, Edler and Hughes. how is that bad. With Rathbone Juolevi Rafferty and Benn to back them up. and probably Tryamkin next year. thin? Probably near the best in the league in 21 - 22.

I'd say that's a huge stretch.. Schmidt over Tanev doesn't make us suddenly one of the best in the league. Hughes pulls us up, sure, but our D is still very thin. We are 1 injury to anyone in our top 4 away from plummetting hard.

A cheap Hamonic signing would be sooo good right now.

Reactions: Raistlin1022

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

Hughes-Schmidt
Edler-Myers
Julovei/Benn-Rafferty

Drance said he's done some digging and thinks the team prioritizes a RW first, if some money opens up if/when Ferland goes on LTIR.

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver

Juolevi is ready to play. He had a strong showing against the Wilds.

Reactions: LordBacon

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Juolevi is ready to play. He had a strong showing against the Wilds.

In what world do you think that video says that "Juolevi is ready to play"? I agree that he is probably the best bet ... but Rafferty Rathbone Juolevi and Benn all have arguments in their favor. I think that it's up in the air, 2 will be 5 - 6, and one will be the 7th D man. But all 4 bring a totally different skill set.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Juolevi played 6:16 against the Wild and you're declaring him ready?

Reactions: timw33

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
In what world do you think that video says that "Juolevi is ready to play"? I agree that he is probably the best bet ... but Rafferty Rathbone Juolevi and Benn all have arguments in their favor. I think that it's up in the air, 2 will be 5 - 6, and one will be the 7th D man. But all 4 bring a totally different skill set.
Rathbone defensive game needs work especially his gap control. Rafferty can never seem to stay on his man even at the AHL level or he doesn’t care. He gets picked at least twice a game. Jordie Benn? Really? Juolevi had more hockey IQ in his dad’s nut sacks than Benn.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Canucks have anointed Juolevi as one of their depth defenders going forward, because basically they have little choice. After all, Benning is probably tired of reading that Juolevi is the only guy drafted in the top 17 of the 2016 draft who's never played a regular season game.

But after a 'middling season' in Utica, posters have reason to be skeptical. I guess there's always a chance that he's better in the NHL than he was in the AHL. But as far as getting dusted by AHL forwards, Juolevi was far more vulnerable than Rafferty was last season.

But on the plus side, he kills penalties. And I doubt Rafferty and Rathbone will be tasked with that in their rookie seasons. But wouldn't surprise me if 15 games into the season, Benning is desperately searching the NHL bargain bin for depth defenders.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
It seems as though everybody forgot that Rafferty becomes a UFA after next season ( based on lack of NHL games). With no NHL track record, not performing well in the pre bubble camp, and never being mentioned by the GM, I think his chances are extremely low. Especially since he isn’t really a defensman. He plays the position but he’s essentially a 4th forward in attack and I don’t think that skill set would follow him to the nhl.

I don’t think it makes sense to try him out when he’s free to leave in the offseason. They’ve got Juolevi who I imagine is pencilled in already. If there is no AHL I could see the extras being guys with longer team control like Rathbone (even though I don’t think he’s close to ready) and even Woo. Just to get practice ice.

Guys like Brisebois, Sautner, and Chatfield (even with all the love Jim gives him) are just not ever going to be able to contribute meaningfully imo.

Reactions: HockeyNightInAsia

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Its not impossible to pry Cernak - Tampa is still in cap hell.

It's impossible for the Canucks to pry Cernak from Tampa, as it always has been, due to the teams cap situation.

iloovRMB

Paul Feyerabend is my spirit animal
Aug 22, 2020

How good is Cernak? What would we have to pay to get him and what could he bring to / be on this team?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
This is outrageous.

35 year old Edler.
31 year old Myers who is currently a 4/5 I don’t expect to age well.
Hughes is amazing.
Schmidt is a solid dman.

Tryamkin is a pylon.
Juolevi is a hope.
Rathbone is of the prospect quality that many teams have players of that Level.

I would say you’d be lucky to have a mid pack defense if this is the makeup.

Colorado’s is miles better with Byram coming.

Dallas’ top 2 playoff scorers were dmen.

I like the positivity but this is not realistic.

Reactions: timw33

wavaxa2

Sep 24, 2010
Tryamkin's pretty mobile for a big man. I wouldn't consider him a pylon. I don't think he'll ever play another game for the Canucks, though, despite all the yadda yadda over the years from his agent Todd Diamond.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
If Benning is sitting on his hands waiting for the start of the season to LTIR Ferland and juggle some pieces to make space for an offer sheet on Cernak that would boost his stock leaps and bounds in my eyes. But I am very very doubtful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->