Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Brad Hunt to 1-Year, 1-Way Deal for $800K

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I still don't think we should gift Rathbone a spot.

If he can out play others, sure.

But if he is bottom pairing?
Might as well let him log heavy minutes in Abbotsford, and call him up for games if both teams are home.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
You really think that they would waive Juolevi over Hunt?
Going into training camp I think Juolevi is clearly in the 9th spot. I also think they will carry 8 healthy D-men all year. My expectation is, in the event that all are healthy, they will waive Rathbone and slot Hunt into the 3rd pairing leftside. On the first injury, Rathbone will get recalled and probably be in the top 6.

My point is that Juolevi seems to be the odd man out going into camp and, unless he has made very significant strides over the summer, it might not matter much if he is waived (but I don't expect them to do it).

There will be some musical chairs in order not to lose anyone on waivers. In a typical season 9-10 D-men get a significant number of games.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I don’t think they will be able to send Rathbone down once he shows his stuff in camp.
You’re probably right. But I think they would waive someone else before Juolevi and Hunt (if he shows he’s earned it). Maybe schenn.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
This guy is so stoked to be playing for his hometown team, the positive energy he gives off will do wonders for the team. This was a very good depth signing by Benning.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If Hunt shows up to camp and outplays him? I do. All this talk of competing for spots, Juolevi is going to have to earn it.

Going into training camp I think Juolevi is clearly in the 9th spot. I also think they will carry 8 healthy D-men all year. My expectation is, in the event that all are healthy, they will waive Rathbone and slot Hunt into the 3rd pairing leftside. On the first injury, Rathbone will get recalled and probably be in the top 6.

My point is that Juolevi seems to be the odd man out going into camp and, unless he has made very significant strides over the summer, it might not matter much if he is waived (but I don't expect them to do it).

There will be some musical chairs in order not to lose anyone on waivers. In a typical season 9-10 D-men get a significant number of games.
I dont see them waiving Juolevi (who's only played 23 NHL games) for a 32 year old bottom of the roster guy....Having said that, I think that this is the sink or swim year for OJ.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I dont see them waiving Juolevi (who's only played 23 NHL games) for a 32 year old bottom of the roster guy....Having said that, I think that this is the sink or swim year for OJ.

Hunt is a #7 and that's the level that Olli has to meet in preseason. Shouldn't be any favours for draft position at this point.

It's probably not their preference to waive Juolevi but if he can't win the 4th LD spot as a 23YO D+6 guy, really, it's not any substantial loss if he were to be claimed on waivers.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
To be fair, Green hasn't been afraid to cut guys who don't win a spot in camp, for better or worse.

If OJ can't outplay Hunt, I don't see him on the roster (and don't think he should). Hunt hasn't touched the AHL in 5 seasons, so I don't think he's come here with the intention of playing the whole year in Abbottsford.

Even if OJ gets claimed on waivers, I'm not sure it's much of a loss. I don't think he becomes more than a depth defenseman at this point.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
To be fair, Green hasn't been afraid to cut guys who don't win a spot in camp, for better or worse.

If OJ can't outplay Hunt, I don't see him on the roster (and don't think he should). Hunt hasn't touched the AHL in 5 seasons, so I don't think he's come here with the intention of playing the whole year in Abbottsford.

Even if OJ gets claimed on waivers, I'm not sure it's much of a loss. I don't think he becomes more than a depth defenseman at this point.

Drance spoke about this in his latest article. He said Green/Benning place huge value on guys winning spots in camp, citing Leivo over Baertschi as a major example. He feels Hunt has a very good chance to stick with the big club, and Juolevi could be the likely odd man out unless he brings his A-Game.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Hunt is a #7 and that's the level that Olli has to meet in preseason. Shouldn't be any favours for draft position at this point.

It's probably not their preference to waive Juolevi but if he can't win the 4th LD spot as a 23YO D+6 guy, really, it's not any substantial loss if he were to be claimed on waivers.
In principal, I agree with you as far as earning spots...However, I don't see Benning or Green capitulating on their 2016 5OA pick this season..especially for a guy thats had a brutal injury history., and has only played 23 NHL games....

“I think there have been some frustrating times for Olli,” said Green. “I know that he’s talked openly about that with the media at times. It’s been a fairly solid rookie season and it’s a harder position to break in as a rookie. I think it’s been a good learning experience for him. I think he’s going to be able to take what he’s learned this season and work over the summer to improve to come back even better.”
He has had protection with his line matches this season and Green hopes that isn’t the case as he progresses.
“I project him to be a guy that can play against any line in the league,” said Green. “He’s a smart defenceman, he’s big, he moves the puck well, but he’s got things that he’s going to have to work on like a lot of young D to improve into that role.”..June,2021
Olli Juolevi made mistakes this season but his first year in the NHL should be looked at as a success: 2021 Year in Review

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
He’s been a lot more solid of late. Scoring a couple of big goals helps, but he has tightened things up a fair bit after a ghastly stretch. Hope he can keep that up. Definitely seems like a guy teammates and coaches love.

Reactions: M2Beezy and David71

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
He’s been a lot more solid of late. Scoring a couple of big goals helps, but he has tightened things up a fair bit after a ghastly stretch. Hope he can keep that up. Definitely seems like a guy teammates and coaches love.
well bruce loves him and plays him in the lineup on a regular basis. whats not to like about brad. standup guy too.

Reactions: M2Beezy

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
A very serviceable bottom pairing D-men.

IMO with Hamonic’s performance, our top 4. Of Hughes, OEL, Myers and Hamonic is not bad at all.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Always knew that Brad was a beauty of a guy. Friend of mine was his neighbor in the ridge and just loves him.

Wasn't a fan of his defensive play and it's always a bit tough having smaller defenders and watching forwards work us over but got to give him his due he's in a tough position coming in and out of the lineup throughout the season but has strung a nice stretch together lately and has been pretty sound for a depth guy.

Hope he signs back next year and can transition to Abby as time goes on maybe a asst coaching role or in player development

Reactions: Canucks LB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad