Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign college FA Griffen Molino (Western Michigan University) to two-year ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i like him. not sure if it's just adrenaline, but he is engaged and seems like a suprisingly smart defensive hockey player for someone just stepping into the nhl. he has his head up and is seeing things and fixing them instead of patrolling.

he needs to add some pounds to that frame.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I would rather have him in the line-up than Gaunce. I love his speed, work ethic, and defensive play. He also goes straight to the net for an offensive opportunity.

He is exactly what you would want in an ideal 4th liner for a fast, aggressive team.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I know people always worry about contract slots on here, but is it that hard to terminate contracts and get the slot back? Like, Sautner isn't making the NHL and is on an AHL salary. .can they come to an agreement with him (pay him his AHL salary for the season or whatever) terminate the contract, and open up a slot?

Its complicated because unless they fail to report (or do something illegal where you could try to terminate the contract), the only real other method is doing a buyout. The buyout will stay on your salary cap however and i'm not sure (if anyone knows better please correct this) but i'm guessing you'll be on the hook for the NHL salary not AHL salary. In which case, 1/3 would end up being MORE money than just paying the AHL salary (and of course the minor cap hit vs 0 cap hit).

Also honestly if we want to get rid of someone, Sautner isn't near the top of my list. Stewart and Laplante would probably be the top. Maybe even Cederholm since he's not likely to come back to NA anytime soon (if at all). Sautner at least plays every other game for Utica so he contributes a little to the organization (more than the other 3).

That's also one of the reasons there's less risk signing a NCAA UDFA vs a CHL UDFA. With a NCAA player, they are more likely to at least be able to contribute in the AHL. CHL players sometime fail (and as we've seen recently fairly often fail) to make the AHL team.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If he even carves out a career like Mike Zalewski, then he's a useful signing.....realize it's only two games and he's been stapled to a makeshift fourth line, but I've been impressed by what I've seen.

No question he has NHL wheels and seems to get some chances, so he's obviously getting himself into position to potentially score, but with Shore as his centre it's hard to tell...but he's definitely a Jannik Hansen speed demon on the backcheck.

Despite the 'two-thumbs down" from Canucks Army I've actually been mildly impressed with him....Canucks have done far worse with other UFA signings imo.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
If he even carves out a career like Mike Zalewski, then he's a useful signing.....realize it's only two games and he's been stapled to a makeshift fourth line, but I've been impressed by what I've seen.

No question he has NHL wheels and seems to get some chances, so he's obviously getting himself into position to potentially score, but with Shore as his centre it's hard to tell...but he's definitely a Jannik Hansen speed demon on the backcheck.

Despite the 'two-thumbs down" from Canucks Army I've actually been mildly impressed with him....Canucks have done far worse with other UFA signings imo.

That's one of the reasons i liked the signing and i like NCAA signings more than CHL UDFA signings. With CHL overagers, there's a decent chance the player doesn't make the AHL team in their rookie year. Even if they do, they might not contribute much. Take Carcone from last year, he had 47 goals, 89 pts last season but was pretty much stuck on the 4th line in Utica all season. Funny thing is since moving him off the 4th line, he has had 9 points in his last 16 games... but only 16 points all season... but that's another story. :laugh:

With Molino, there's little doubt he'll be at least in the top 9 on Utica next season (if he doesn't make the team outright). By burning his first year of his ELC, there is really no risk in this signing at all (except 1 year of salary). If he flops next season, its still better than some of Benning's other signings. So far beside Stecher, i would have Molino as Benning's best UDFA.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Its complicated because unless they fail to report (or do something illegal where you could try to terminate the contract), the only real other method is doing a buyout. The buyout will stay on your salary cap however and i'm not sure (if anyone knows better please correct this) but i'm guessing you'll be on the hook for the NHL salary not AHL salary. In which case, 1/3 would end up being MORE money than just paying the AHL salary (and of course the minor cap hit vs 0 cap hit).

Also honestly if we want to get rid of someone, Sautner isn't near the top of my list. Stewart and Laplante would probably be the top. Maybe even Cederholm since he's not likely to come back to NA anytime soon (if at all). Sautner at least plays every other game for Utica so he contributes a little to the organization (more than the other 3).

That's also one of the reasons there's less risk signing a NCAA UDFA vs a CHL UDFA. With a NCAA player, they are more likely to at least be able to contribute in the AHL. CHL players sometime fail (and as we've seen recently fairly often fail) to make the AHL team.

What about guys whose contracts get terminated so they can play overseas?

And yeah, Sautner was just the first name that came to mind.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
What about guys whose contracts get terminated so they can play overseas?

And yeah, Sautner was just the first name that came to mind.

There are examples of this... i.e. Peter Schaefer and Tommernes both were terminated mid-season . Not sure exactly if its different then than now but both side agreed and they (both) went to Europe after... but you'll need both sides to agree and maybe get the player to refuse to show up to Utica (or something like that) so you have a reason to cancel the contract. In both cases, the player were the one who asked to be released and in both cases they didn't want to play/continue to play in the AHL.

My guess is the only time a player would actually ask to be terminated is if they feel like they could get a better contract (both players i listed above were in demand in Europe and Tommernes is the best PMD right now in the SHL right now so he's getting paid), in which case they could just fail to report so the team has a clause to terminate the contract.

Players that we both agree are more or less are a waste of space aren't likely to get any offers (or at least offer for less money than they make on a 2 way contract right now). Don't really see them trying to get fired so they can make less money or not even get to play hockey at all. ECHL players makes about $600-$1000 (source google) per week, which is a lot less than the 67,500 Stewart/Sautner makes on their 2 way contract.

Remember even Cederholm is on loan right now while playing in the SHL (instead of just a contract termination like Tommernes).

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I really haven't seen him play but maybe he has Paul Byron type upside?

Depends on how you look at Byron... rather you think he's really a 20+ goal scorer who's capable of 40+ points or more of a steady small 2 way forward who's closer to 20-30 point scorer (every year except this).

Molino is also a couple inches taller and a bit bigger so that might make a difference (and one of the reasons Byron was waived). Also hard to compare considering Byron went the QMJHL route and Molino went NCAA route...

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Kid can skate, helps him alot

He also seems to be smart with his positional play. Most people who are fast often are out of position and relay on their speed to recover. He uses his speed to get into position and stays in good defensive position instead of trying to recover/going over aggressive.

Petrichor

Jan 25, 2017
Molino is already 23, so it's unluckily he'll carve out anything of a top 9 position in the NHL. Don't forget, he's playing on the 4th line on the 28th place team in the league. Look around other competitive rosters and he'll have trouble sticking to the said teams' AHL roster.

As a result, I'd rather the Canucks continue to develop Gaunce. Same age, but is tracking much better as a 4th liner for the Canucks.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Molino is already 23, so it's unluckily he'll carve out anything of a top 9 position in the NHL. Don't forget, he's playing on the 4th line on the 28th place team in the league. Look around other competitive rosters and he'll have trouble sticking to the said teams' AHL roster.

As a result, I'd rather the Canucks continue to develop Gaunce. Same age, but is tracking much better as a 4th liner for the Canucks.

Difference is there are signs of Molino being a late bloomer. He started his NCAA career later and because of that, he also has the benefit of exemption from the expansion draft and waiver next season. I agree he'll likely be in Utica next season but Gaunce might or might not be here next season (depending on what Vegas does).

Also he has one thing Gaunce doesn't have... speed. Honestly our team lacks speed (more so after moving Hansen) so the additional element plays in Molino's favor. He's also responsible in his own end tho his offensive game is still something that remains to be seen.

Plus there isn't anything preventing both Molino and Gaunce developing. Its not like we're loaded with forward prospects so both have opportunities of making this team going forward. As a rebuilding team, i would rather have Molino on the 4th line than say Megna (tho its probably better for Molino to start the year in Utica so we have another option for injury replacement...).

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I got to admit that I wasn't high on this signing but it looks like he should at least be a decent AHL player. For basically a one year deal, this is a good depth signing.

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver

Three games into his NHL career on a new team. I haven't forgotten anything; I think one would expect him to start on the fourth line.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Kind of reminds me of Zalewski when he first came up at the end of the season a few years back. Just had a bit more jump compared to most of the team.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
IMac with a nice article about Molino in the Province......He apparently shows up regularly in the Canucks coaching tapes when they break down the game, and in a good way....he's definitely surprised me.....can definitely play at the NHL pace...but noticed he was destroyed along the boards by Dillon in the last game against Sharks...still, a nice depth signing.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Another noticeable effort by Molina last night in the Desert.....sorry to see him hit the post on that wide-open breakaway.

But this kid has blazing speed through the neutral zone, and any guy with wheels like that can play pro hockey at a high level somewhere.....could he morph into another Paul Byron type?

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Plays some like the younger Tanev in Winnipeg. Both absolute speed merchants. Weren't able to get Tanev last year but seem to got the equivalent this year.

Better then expected.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Another noticeable effort by Molina last night in the Desert.....sorry to see him hit the post on that wide-open breakaway.

But this kid has blazing speed through the neutral zone, and any guy with wheels like that can play pro hockey at a high level somewhere.....could he morph into another Paul Byron type?

Shame he didn't get his first goal but you know if he didn't hit the post, we might have gotten a point in that game (never know how the rest of the game would've been).

His play so far has me wondering if he'll even be in Utica next year or if he'll start the season in the 4th line. He hasn't really made any mistakes and according to the staff has been highlighted in the video room quite a bit. Even the "eye test" seems to suggest he's NHL ready now because he's an asset defensively as is and does create scoring chances on his own offensively.

One thing is certain tho... having him playing with Shore convinced me Shore is below him on the depth chart going forward.:laugh:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Kid is a player, give him a chance, I am sure he will make it.

His speed is great, could be a solid third liner

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Shame he didn't get his first goal but you know if he didn't hit the post, we might have gotten a point in that game (never know how the rest of the game would've been).

His play so far has me wondering if he'll even be in Utica next year or if he'll start the season in the 4th line. He hasn't really made any mistakes and according to the staff has been highlighted in the video room quite a bit. Even the "eye test" seems to suggest he's NHL ready now because he's an asset defensively as is and does create scoring chances on his own offensively.

One thing is certain tho... having him playing with Shore convinced me Shore is below him on the depth chart going forward.:laugh:

like hutton, stecher and boeser, molino just seems nhl ready. guys like caggiula and benning have done the same on other teams. maybe the ncaa is operating at a higher level and the gap is narrowing.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria

I'd prefer he starts in Utica and see if he can earn some top 6 ice time down there. Right now he looks like a 4th liner at minimum (but so did Zalewski in the same situation) but I'd like to see if there's any pro-level offence in Molino's game before pigeon-holing him as a 4th linen energy guy.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I'd prefer he starts in Utica and see if he can earn some top 6 ice time down there. Right now he looks like a 4th liner at minimum (but so did Zalewski in the same situation) but I'd like to see if there's any pro-level offence in Molino's game before pigeon-holing him as a 4th linen energy guy.

I prefer him in Utica for more depth since he'll be one of the few players who don't need to clear waivers but if we have Megna/Chaput in Utica, they serve more or less the same purpose.

As far as developing game in Utica... well we haven't actually seen any player develop offensively there in a while (not that we should completely ignore development there) but the lack of development there suggest that if a player isn't a liability in the NHL, it might benefit them to develop in the NHL. I mean take a look @ Stecher and Hutton. Both developed offensively during the season while playing in the NHL and of course came from NCAA (of course D vs forward so not exactly the same).

Of course Molino probably needs some skilled player to play with but if Gaunce stays (might be more likely now consider he'll be hurt/recovering @ expansion draft), the 4th line actually would have some skill (or at least same/more skilled than your typical AHL 1st line). If you add in Boucher as the RW (or someone else), then the 4th line would be like an inexperienced 3rd line (and Gaunce/Molino should be able to cover any mental defensive lapse for Boucher). You could even consider Megna in the wing if you don't like/convince we'll keep Boucher. Molino has speed to complement Megna's game and that would be a pretty responsible defensive 4th line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->