Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign college FA Griffen Molino (Western Michigan University) to two-year ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
https://canucksarmy.com/2017/03/27/report-canucks-sign-ncaa-ufa-forward-griffen-molino/

I included Molino, as reporters indicated there was a possibility teams sought him as a free agent on a few occasions.

In my piece, I make clear that this isn’t a player I would target as a priority signing. There are a few reasons for that.

The thing to remember is even if the article isn't overly positive, the fact an article on 'nucks army included Molino (when he was a UDFA) makes him higher profile than majority of other players.

Biech literally went out of his way to say: "Don't read anything into the fact this guy is in the article."

Yeah and in his earlier article

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/03/06/ncaa-ufa-targets-centres-2/

He mentioned him and wasn't high on him. The thing is, even if he isn't high on him, the fact he had to mention him meant there was interest in him elsewhere (and he even confirmed this). Basically it means a writer doesn't like him (or his ability) but that's more or less the SAME as another fan saying they like or not like a certain player.

If you ignore his opinion and just look at the facts, he is basically still one of the top say 10-25 UDFA this year. Also like i said, all except 2 in his article has signed (with one still playing and the other linked to Rangers/Flyers).

As far as his opinion goes, i guess its up to you rather or not you agree with it. I agree with some of his thought but disagree with others. I'll probably have a different opinion after Friday when i watched him in a game...

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yes, he's already Vancouver and will be in the lineup on Friday.....parked on the fourth line likely.

Does he need to play a game in order to burn a year off his ELC? I like this signing a lot better now that I know it's only for one year essentially. I can see him contributing to the Comets next year (kind of like an Alex Friesen).

As far as his opinion goes, i guess its up to you rather or not you agree with it. I agree with some of his thought but disagree with others. I'll probably have a different opinion after Friday when i watched him in a game...

I agree. Molino is certainly not a nobody NCAA FA even though he's not among the highest ranked prospects. I'm not a fan of using a contract slot on a player whom I view as having no NHL potential, but a lot of commentors have said that there is some value in having a guy like him down on the farm so I guess there is that.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Does he need to play a game in order to burn a year off his ELC? I like this signing a lot better now that I know it's only for one year essentially. I can see him contributing to the Comets next year (kind of like an Alex Friesen).

I agree. Molino is certainly not a nobody NCAA FA even though he's not among the highest ranked prospects. I'm not a fan of using a contract slot on a player whom I view as having no NHL potential, but a lot of commentors have said that there is some value in having a guy like him down on the farm so I guess there is that.

I believe he has to play a game to start his ELC... not 100% sure but i think the game would need to be in the NHL considering if the goal was just to burn a year, he might have been better off playing in Utica (and thus could play in the playoffs if Utica gets in). Flames also ha their prospects play a game in the NHL to burn the first year (as well as pretty much every prospect i can remember).

I don't see similarity to Friesen because mostly Friesen is a defensive/2 way center who's better known for his play in his own end (as well as one of the best @ faceoffs in the CHL). Molino seems more known for his shot/speed and willingness to backcheck. Basically Friesen's scouting report focused more on his defensive play because that was his strength while Molino has more focus on his offensive skills.

Molino is someone i could see centering Virtanen next year (in Utica!!!)... based solely on scouting reports i've found.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hmm...he's making his debut on Friday and wearing #13.....hope his debut is better than the slasher movies.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
These seem to be perfectly the mould of guys that we should be signing. Hopefully more NCAA C, RW, RD signings coming up....

Edit:
Shame Josh Healey went to CGY..

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
These seem to be perfectly the mould of guys that we should be signing. Hopefully more NCAA C, RW, RD signings coming up....

Edit:
Shame Josh Healey went to CGY..

Not sure about D mostly unless we have some trades pending (not sure any UDFA D with much potential would be interested either). We have 3 young D on the team, a recent top 10 pick D in Jr. and we also have a few Ds finishing Jr (3 this season). Add Subban to the mix and its pretty much a full deck of D prospects who are around the same age. That's a lot of competition (thus making us unattractive destination).

Wasn't a great first game for Molino... i only noticed him once all game (in the first period). After that pretty much didn't notice him except a 3rd period giveaway (didn't result in much). Without a doubt overshadowed by Boeser who was great again (along with Horvat's line). Maybe WD should try Molino with the Sedins instead of Chaput. :laugh:

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Not sure about D mostly unless we have some trades pending (not sure any UDFA D with much potential would be interested either). We have 3 young D on the team, a recent top 10 pick D in Jr. and we also have a few Ds finishing Jr (3 this season). Add Subban to the mix and its pretty much a full deck of D prospects who are around the same age. That's a lot of competition (thus making us unattractive destination).

Wasn't a great first game for Molino... i only noticed him once all game (in the first period). After that pretty much didn't notice him except a 3rd period giveaway (didn't result in much). Without a doubt overshadowed by Boeser who was great again (along with Horvat's line). Maybe WD should try Molino with the Sedins instead of Chaput. :laugh:

Actually I thought Molino looked great. Aside from the giveaway he was very solid defensively, exhibited incredible speed and drive, made smart plays, and was good with his positioning in our end--though he was a little too tight in to the net for a winger.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Actually I thought Molino looked great. Aside from the giveaway he was very solid defensively, exhibited incredible speed and drive, made smart plays, and was good with his positioning in our end--though he was a little too tight in to the net for a winger.

I guess he could've played fine defensively... i was watching baseball at the same time (same room, different screen) so wasn't playing attention to defensive play as much as i would normally (hard to really be too invested in a 2-0 meaningless game). Tho i tuned in every time i heard Horvat's line playing... :laugh:

I just noticed a good play in the offensive zone in the 1st and a bad giveaway in the 3rd. I'll pay closer attention to his positional play next game (not really interested in watching the game again with shift logs... it wasn't that exciting of a game).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Have to agree....I liked the kid's game.....pretty hard to be noticeable when you're tethered to Drew Shore and Alex Biega on a makeshift fourth line....but definitely has NHL wheels and constantly pressures the puck carrier with his speed.

I thought he was listed on the Western Michigan roster as a centre, which means he was probably playing out of position on wing (get used to it kid, when you're playing for Willie)....can understand why more than a few NHL teams were interested in signing him.

A good depth player in the organization if nothing else.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
So, a Mason Raymond type speedy 2-way player? Even with less offensive potential, there's nothing wrong with that.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So, a Mason Raymond type speedy 2-way player? Even with less offensive potential, there's nothing wrong with that.

He burned off one year of a two-year entry level deal by playing last night....so he's basically an RFA at the end of the next season.....if the Canucks don't like the progression, then they let him walk and all they'd be out of would be his AHL salary for the year.

Far less of a risk there than for guys like Laplante, Carcone, Stewart, Chatfield or MacEwan who were recently signed to full three-year entry level contracts.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Didn't watch last night. Is Bill Sweatt a reasonable expectation for this kid or is he better?

Similar skillset/size/etc. I would expect him to be better because Sweatt's offensive game never really developed in the AHL (and because we had forward depth back then, he really didn't get a chance).

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
does this signing effect their contract slots to go after Raddysh?

Not likely because Raddysh isn't likely to start his ELC this year. There are quite a few contract slots for next year. Also no position conflicts tho it might hurt the chances of Stukel/Abols/Zhukenov getting contracts, tho rumor is Zhukenov is going to the KHL anyways).

Even for this year, as long as 1 of MacEwen/Chatfield/Juolevi don't play this year (in the NHL), we'll have a slot this year. I believe we still have 22 contract slots for next year (tho note expect probably 10 of those to go to NHL players, probably another 5-10 to AHL/NHL depth players with the remaining spots for prospects/draft picks).

Last edited:

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Not likely because Raddysh isn't likely to start his ELC this year. There are quite a few contract slots for next year. Also no position conflicts tho it might hurt the chances of Stukel/Abols/Zhukenov getting contracts, tho rumor is Zhukenov is going to the KHL anyways).

Even for this year, as long as 1 of MacEwen/Chatfield/Juolevi don't play this year (in the NHL), we'll have a slot this year. I believe we still have 22 contract slots for next year (tho note expect probably 10 of those to go to NHL players, probably another 5-10 to AHL/NHL depth players with the remaining spots for prospects/draft picks).
22 spots is alot of spots...

I'd bring Chaput back for sure..

I'd bring Megna/Skille back (Just kidding. Not Megna for sure as someone's got to take the chopping block this year... Megna has played well for what he's called upon... Skille .... he's got to go...

I'd bring Tom Pyatt in from Ottawa Senators for some center/wing depth.

I'd give Labate and MacEwen every chance to make the team as 4th liners alongside Dorsett. Since we're paying Dorsett to be a veteran leader, put Dorsett in a position to lead a 4th line of Labate/MacEwen/Dorsett/Biega rotation as a mayhem line... Dorsett has scored some timely goals .. at times.

If COL is stupid enough to NOT offer a contract to Will Butcher, I'd give him a 2-3 year contract.

Brisebois, Neill and Chatfield will be 3/6 of the Comets team. Hopefully Biega and Subban can switch spots same time next year around.

Pedan can go if Sbisa remains on the team.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Well, you're basically describing Jayson Megna now. Which to be fair, would be a decent system asset and make this a decent signing.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Well, you're basically describing Jayson Megna now. Which to be fair, would be a decent system asset and make this a decent signing.

That's kind of what I'm getting at I guess, yeah. If it improves depth / Utica, why the hell not. That every bit helps, and then if someone miraculously pans out, that's icing on the cake.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Interestingly, on what is essentially a one year contract, Molino got two seasons of maximum signing bonus of $92,500.

He also has a salary of $832,500, so if the Canucks wish to keep him a year from now his NHL salary in a qualifying offer must be not less than 832,500 + 5%=$874,125.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
He was noticeable a few times tonight. A couple of good rushes, and also flew back on the backcheck and individually broke up two solid scoring chances for the Sharks. Wherever his other talents lie, the kid can definitely skate.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
22 spots is alot of spots...

I'd bring Chaput back for sure..

I'd bring Megna/Skille back (Just kidding. Not Megna for sure as someone's got to take the chopping block this year... Megna has played well for what he's called upon... Skille .... he's got to go...

I'd bring Tom Pyatt in from Ottawa Senators for some center/wing depth.

I'd give Labate and MacEwen every chance to make the team as 4th liners alongside Dorsett. Since we're paying Dorsett to be a veteran leader, put Dorsett in a position to lead a 4th line of Labate/MacEwen/Dorsett/Biega rotation as a mayhem line... Dorsett has scored some timely goals .. at times.

If COL is stupid enough to NOT offer a contract to Will Butcher, I'd give him a 2-3 year contract.

Brisebois, Neill and Chatfield will be 3/6 of the Comets team. Hopefully Biega and Subban can switch spots same time next year around.

Pedan can go if Sbisa remains on the team.

Again remember that's 22 spots without considering our RFAs or replacing players who are UFAs... (that includes Horvat/Tryamkin/Gudbranson/etc). So if you think about it, its really 12 spots and in that case, you're still not accounting for prospects/AHL players (McEneny, Labate, Garteig, Pedan) who aren't under contract (nor any ELCs/draft picks you sign next year). That number also assumes Juolevi does NOT make the team. So really there isn't a lot of spots to work with. Also reduce that number by 1 because i forgot about Dorsett when i said 22... we actually had 21. :laugh:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I know people always worry about contract slots on here, but is it that hard to terminate contracts and get the slot back? Like, Sautner isn't making the NHL and is on an AHL salary. .can they come to an agreement with him (pay him his AHL salary for the season or whatever) terminate the contract, and open up a slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad