Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign college FA Griffen Molino (Western Michigan University) to two-year ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabba The Hutton

Nucks STH
Jul 28, 2009
UBC
Last edited by a moderator:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
His name is Griffen Molino no?

Kid was a Canucks follower in 2011 it looks like lmao

First thing I found when typing in his name.

1beb54540cff4d05ab6ea4f8fcdc8927.png

cc

Feb 28, 2002
hockeydb says he's a forward.
I'm assuming he's not a center even though centers are forwards

he's a Canucks fan born in michigan? I think that's probably pretty rare

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I have a random hunch that he'll play for no good reason.

hockeydb says he's a forward.
I'm assuming he's not a center.

he's a Canucks fan born in michigan? I think that's probably pretty rare

I'm pretty sure he was just cheering against the Bruins. After creeping even further, I saw him cheering for the Bolts in Round 3 and talking about the Red Wings.

Also found these

6a0ba98f54034e7b8b721c82bd0a83b7.png

4a8110eba89a4b20b3484962eb143885.png

Last edited:

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Well, you gotta like that personality.

But can anyone provide a scouting report? Is he the next Alex Friesen?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Yeah, the stats are underwhelming, especially for his age, but it looks like his team was pretty low-scoring as well. Guess we'll find out, I do trust our American scouting more than our Canadian scouting.

Seems like a funny guy at least.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
he seems fine as a lottery ticket, but is this a level of free agent entry level contracts we've seen with other rebuilding teams? this seems like a lot of 3 year contracts being handed out for lottery tickets. i am not sure what the canuck's contract management plan is, but this would have to be depressing for current unsigned late round canuck draft picks and at minimum i'd assume they can't do this year after year.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
he seems fine as a lottery ticket, but is this a level of free agent entry level contracts we've seen with other rebuilding teams? this seems like a lot of 3 year contracts being handed out for lottery tickets. i am not sure what the canuck's contract management plan is, but this would have to be depressing for current unsigned late round canuck draft picks and at minimum i'd assume they can't do this year after year.

Yeah, they're likely going to have a handful of these guys playing in the ECHL, it's pretty rare for guys at 20+ who went undrafted to even play 1 season in the NHL, or even become high quality AHL players.

I feel like they should be more selective with these and try to get some of these guys(or similar players) signed to AHL deals with Utica so it won't hinder their 50 contract limit in the future.

It seems like a weak year for undrafted ufa prospects anyway.

Hopefully 1 of these guys pans out.

Edit:

That's better.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Late bloomer, didn't join the NCAA until last year at 22. Canucks brass probably liked that he was one of the top scorers on his team after only one season in the league. Maybe he can develop for another season or two but don't see him more than a Mike Zalewski type

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
23, pt production looks very underwhelming. Projected...4th liner?
:(

EDIT: Is it possible that we are making up for the lack of picks in the last couple of years by rounding up as many undrafted/college/outer league players as possible? I guess it's worth the time.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, they're likely going to have a handful of these guys playing in the ECHL, it's pretty rare for guys at 20+ who went undrafted to even play 1 season in the NHL, or even become high quality AHL players.

I feel like they should be more selective with these and try to get some of these guys(or similar players) signed to AHL deals with Utica so it won't hinder their 50 contract limit in the future.

It seems like a weak year for undrafted ufa prospects anyway.

Hopefully 1 of these guys pans out.

Edit:

That's better.

I seriously wonder whether we even need a ECHL team because:
(1) are we even developing guys from Utica? If no, let's focused and get the pipeline running efficiently first from Comets-to-Canucks
(2) we can easily just loan out or put our extra guys on to another ECHL team, no?
(3) Alaska to Utica is quite a distance... and now that Alaska is defunct and we're staying in Utica, just pick one that's close so there could be emergency call-ups from a geographical standpoint.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I think there was a clip with Weisbrod and Brackett in their pre-draft video in summer 2016 that they're trying to get as many characters guys that resemble Burrows (skilled, agitating & high compete).. esp. with their later "gambles"

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
EDIT: Is it possible that we are making up for the lack of picks in the last couple of years by rounding up as many undrafted/college/outer league players as possible? I guess it's worth the time.

I would say that's definitely part of it. Noted it in another FA thread, but management has done a terrible job establishing legit depth in the farm system. Utica is constantly low on talent, and seems to get gutted every time there's an injured Canuck. The draft pick problem is certainly part of that, as you'd typically amass a bunch of late-round guys that can at least play depth roles in the AHL.

Also, I trust our NCAA scouts way more than any other area, so there's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad