Prospect Info: Canucks select goalie Ty Young 5th round, 144 in 2022 draft

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Don't know much about him except he's 6'3" and he's one of the youngest players in the draft.

I'm not sure if being one of the youngest for a goaltender is a good thing here given that goaltenders take time to develop and we have 2 years to sign him. In comparison, Demko and Dipietro were star goalies in college and OHL, respectively. Silovs put up respectable numbers on a men's team and was expected to be good in the OHL in his draft + 1 year.

Don't get me wrong. I don't have a problem with this pick. He's a ranked goaltender with quite a bit of runway to develop.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Don't know much about him except he's 6'3" and he's one of the youngest players in the draft.

I'm not sure if being one of the youngest for a goaltender is a good thing here given that goaltenders take time to develop and we have 2 years to sign him. In comparison, Demko and Dipietro were star goalies in college and OHL, respectively. Silovs put up respectable numbers on a men's team and was expected to be good in the OHL in his draft + 1 year.

Don't get me wrong. I don't have a problem with this pick. He's a ranked goaltender with quite a bit of runway to develop.
With AK off to Harvard no clue when he opts to go pro. Silovs will soon required to clear waivers . Dipietro needs to clear waivers now that he’s done his elc. Need another guy anyways.

Look at Detroit. Just dealt another 3rd for Husso after doing so for Ned last year. When you have no goalies you spend assets for temp fill ins.

Spending mid rounders from 4-6 makes sense while you have a franchise goalie. Allows you the chance to take a swing and hope someone pans out.

Montreal did that in 2019-2021 in rounds 5-7. But with price questionable. The timeline is pushed up and they need to consider using a higher pick soon unless Primeau or one of the swings works out.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
No problems with this pick, as Ian Clark does his own scouting and has done quite well.

A tiny bit surprised he didn't prefer Reid Dyck, who had a great Top Prospects game.

Thomas Milic was also passed over.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Because he was gone at 102 and Young was 144.
Because he was gone at 102 and Young was 144.
1657334357841.png

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
I like this pick for no other reason than it was in the 5th and an organization should always keep a G prospect or two in the pipeline. Taking a goalie after round 3 every year or two just makes sense.

Reactions: Jay26

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I like this pick for no other reason than it was in the 5th and an organization should always keep a G prospect or two in the pipeline. Taking a goalie after round 3 every year or two just makes sense.
Wings have spent a first and 2 thirds on goalie the past 2 years. That’s what happens when you don’t have a higher end nhl goalie. Rangers found Lundqvist, Shesh past round 3. They did take Olaf Lindholm in round 2 in 2019 before Shesh and Georgiev established themselves.

Rather be like the Rangers and get lucky finding a guy than end up scrambling for a goalie and eating up assets for temp solutions.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
With AK off to Harvard no clue when he opts to go pro. Silovs will soon required to clear waivers . Dipietro needs to clear waivers now that he’s done his elc. Need another guy anyways.
Dipietro is waiver exempt for another season. Silovs has 3 left.

I like having good goaltending depth but time line wise, Young and Koskenvuo might turn pro the same year.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Look at Detroit. Just dealt another 3rd for Husso after doing so for Ned last year. When you have no goalies you spend assets for temp fill ins.

Spending mid rounders from 4-6 makes sense while you have a franchise goalie. Allows you the chance to take a swing and hope someone pans out.

Montreal did that in 2019-2021 in rounds 5-7. But with price questionable. The timeline is pushed up and they need to consider using a higher pick soon unless Primeau or one of the swings works out.

That's one way to look at it. The other way to look at it is that the Canucks have been spending mid-round picks on goalies consistently for awhile now and have nothing to show for it. They've had to go outside the organization repeatedly for a backup goalie and their new likely backup got the job after being acquired for almost nothing and then outplaying their other recent draft picks. I think since 2000 they've spent 10+ 3rd-7th round picks on goaltenders and have got absolutely nothing from that group.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's one way to look at it. The other way to look at it is that the Canucks have been spending mid-round picks on goalies consistently for awhile now and have nothing to show for it. They've had to go outside the organization repeatedly for a backup goalie and their new likely backup got the job after being acquired for almost nothing and then outplaying their other recent draft picks. I think since 2000 they've spent 10+ 3rd-7th round picks on goaltenders and have got absolutely nothing from that group.
Since taking Demko they drafted Dipietro, Thiessen, Silovs, AK, and now Young since 2017. Dipietro is just 23.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Since taking Demko they drafted Dipietro, Thiessen, Silovs, AK, and now Young since 2017. Dipietro is just 23.
Development is another part of it...I think we can all agree that the Benning regime was FUBAR when it came to Dipietro's development, Silovs is still young and is showing a moderate degree of promise, and given the percent likelihood of making it from mid-late round picks, our goalie record is undetermined.

Willing to give the new regime a chance to show that with better development process in place that we can get results on their goaltending pipeline.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
You are lucky to get just one very good goalie every 8-10 years by drafting. There are maybe 10 in the NHL. You have to expect a lot of whiffs along the way but given the value of a good goalie brings its worth it. Just keep trying as this such a key position it is better to get nothing most of the time on a goalie pick lthen a few extra replacement level plugs.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You are lucky to get just one very good goalie every 8-10 years by drafting. There are maybe 10 in the NHL. You have to expect a lot of whiffs along the way but given the value of a good goalie brings its worth it. Just keep trying as this such a key position it is better to get nothing most of the ring on a goalie pick lthen a few extra replacement level plugs.
Somewhere around 15-20 goalies get drafted each season and there’s only 64 jobs. 32 starters.

Range in age from like 22/23 youngest to well into their late 30’s. So say a range of 15 years it can span. That 250-300 goalies drafted goalies plus free agents that are competing for those elusive spots.

The hope is that you get lucky likes the Rangers who go from Lindqvist to Shesh without using a 1st. They did spend a 2nd in 2018 on Lindblom. But given Lindqvists age it was best to get someone more highly rated just in case.

Kearns

Too good to be true, no?
Jun 7, 2008
Kamloops, BC
Ty Young got the start tonight in Kamloops. He was excellent. I'm no Ian Clarke, but this kid looked a bit "big and boring" in facing almost 50 shots from the Blazers, and sneaking out with a 4 to 3 OT win. His rebound control was good. Never swimming. Composed. Stankoven was the only Blazer that beat him. Early on, it seems they're splitting games between him and Brennan. Not sure why, with Brennan being incumbent and having the draft pedigree.

Kearns

Too good to be true, no?
Jun 7, 2008
Kamloops, BC
Young got the start for the Cougars in Kamloops last night, the front end of a home and home in two nights. He has had more starts this year than Brennan, who was PG's clear #1 last season. He has a slightly better save % than Brennan. Young took the loss last night, allowing 3 goals on 35 shots. He looks steady. I would have liked a stronger recovery push on the 3rd goal, but none of the goals were shaky. Seems like a good pick for the Canucks. Will be interesting to watch his development.

Last edited:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Young got the start for the Cougars in Kamloops last night, the font end of a home and home in two nights. He has had more starts this year than Brennan, who was PG's clear #1 last season. He has a slightly better save % than Brennan. Young took the loss last night, allowing 3 goals on 35 shots. He looks steady. I would have liked a stronger recovery push on the 3rd goal, but none of the goals were shaky. Seems like a good pick for the Canucks. Will be interesting to watch his development.
Great report!

Reactions: Kearns

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Young got the start for the Cougars in Kamloops last night, the front end of a home and home in two nights. He has had more starts this year than Brennan, who was PG's clear #1 last season. He has a slightly better save % than Brennan. Young took the loss last night, allowing 3 goals on 35 shots. He looks steady. I would have liked a stronger recovery push on the 3rd goal, but none of the goals were shaky. Seems like a good pick for the Canucks. Will be interesting to watch his development.
Thanks for the update!

Reactions: Kearns

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Sign. this. kid!

I just watched tonight's game against Swift Current. No joke, he saved 10 Grade A chances. He was absolutely sparkling all night and was just solid with PG under siege for the the last 4 minutes. He's been great all season as the Coug's no.1.

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
Sign. this. kid!

I just watched tonight's game against Swift Current. No joke, he saved 10 Grade A chances. He was absolutely sparkling all night and was just solid with PG under siege for the the last 4 minutes. He's been great all season as the Coug's no.1.
He signed the contract a few weeks ago. He looked a little shaky during the young stars so it's encouraging to hear positive review.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad