Canucks select C Alex Friesen - 6th Round, 172nd Overall

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
If they send MCann off to the WJC and don't recall Friesen instead of Vey, then there's no justice....he actually looked fairly decent in the exhibition schedule and is one of Green's 'go-to-guys' in Utica....hard not to pull for a sixth rounder who's already exceeded expectations.

Once was a Gillis pick with highly-touted Gillis-metrics like psychological and intelligence testing, the other was a Benning trade using his famed eye-ball. If Vey gets the nod, it'll be fun to watch HFboards.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
He may get a call up down the road if this season turns out to be a tire fire. You usually see bottom 10 teams give looks to a few guys that haven't played much in the NHL but have done their time in the AHL in those situations. Assuming the team sells at the TDL and/or injuries occur during that part of the season.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
Once was a Gillis pick with highly-touted Gillis-metrics like psychological and intelligence testing, the other was a Benning trade using his famed eye-ball. If Vey gets the nod, it'll be fun to watch HFboards.

The vey trade was for Willie not Benning

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
The one positive I can say about recalling Vey would that his would probably be (hopefully be) in his mind one of his last, if not possibly last chance at cracking the NHL.

He could obviously crack under that pressure... but he could also play 'like a man possessed" trying revive what chance he has left at an NHL career.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Vey's waiver status actually works against him this time around.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The one positive I can say about recalling Vey would that his would probably be (hopefully be) in his mind one of his last, if not possibly last chance at cracking the NHL.

He could obviously crack under that pressure... but he could also play 'like a man possessed" trying revive what chance he has left at an NHL career.
gUozH3K.gif

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask

Last year during the playoffs his first game in after sitting for quite awhile I remember noticing him flying out there I don't know how effective he was though.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Vey's waiver status actually works against him this time around.

Not really. He can be recalled without waivers. And if he's kept up long enough to need waivers to be reassigned (10 games or 30 days), so what? It's not like the Canucks are getting good value out of paying him $1M to score at a 6 goal/40 point pace in the AHL. It'd be a good thing if they lost him for nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad