Canucks retiring Sedins numbers next season

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I thought Detroit did this.
Typically the player has to be a sure-fire lock for the HOF to be even considered. But they don't have to actually wait until they are actually inducted. Lidstrom and Yzerman had their numbers retired the year after they stopped playing.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
They had a very strong reputation before that 2011 playoff run, did they not?

Not to my knowledge. I'd never seen them dive or embellish before that. Or at least to any extent that would be memorable. The team had a reputation from Kesler and Burrows, but not the Sedins. Though, the Sedins had a lot of unwarranted criticism for being soft, and were weak on their skates when they came into the league, so there might have been some association from that. I'm not sure why they started doing it that playoffs, though it was probably a push from AV. The theme all year was to punish teams on the PP, and they weren't getting the calls they were used to. Henrik also had a pretty substantial back injury in '11, and I think that played a role in how easily he went down at times.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018
The posts in this thread blow me away.

U [MOD] w0t m8?

How do you know? He was a great Captain for this team.

the canucks had some powerhouse teams yet only managed just five playoff series wins in six seasons. the only explanation is bad leadership.

Last edited by a moderator:

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
the canucks had some powerhouse teams yet only managed just five playoff series wins in six seasons. the only explanation is bad leadership.

I mean, don’t look at the goaltending or the other 21 players on the team that the GMs never did anything about.

I guess we will just have to appreciate our shitty Swedish twins here in Vancouver while sportsnet continues to report on the colour of underwear Auston Matthews is wearing. Art Rosses and stuff are overrated anyhow, amirite?

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Why even enter the thread is my question? :laugh: It's like showing up to a guys retirement party just to let everyone know he was a terrible employee in your eyes.

I almost believed that people could appreciate them before the inevitable “lol soft Sisters” comments but clearly my expectations were far too high.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017

no no. I don't think it was leadership. That core was just not good enough when it mattered. They didn't raise their games when they had to. they were outworked. Could say that about a lot of teams over the history of the league.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Well deserved.

Their contributions to the community equal - if not surpass - their contributions on the ice. Glad they are still here in Vancouver and hope they stay for a long time.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
They don't?

Also the Sedins played for the Vancouver Canucks.

Why do the Red Wings stipulate a player has to be in the hall of fame before they retire his number?

The Oilers are the team that has this. It's stupid, a guy like Ryan Smyth should have his number retired and they'll likely never let anyone wear #94 again but it's unlikely that they'll raise it to the rafters.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
2 class acts that we’re even better in the community than on the ice. Couldn’t have asked for better faces of a franchise as a fan.

member 105785

No. Not locks. They deserve consideration sure but neither strike me as hall of famers. Though they could get in

[MOD]

Every Art Ross winner ever has been inducted to the HOF, add in an art ross and lindsay, 2 all star teams each, they are locks.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Henrik Sedin lead the NHL in assists 3 years in a row in an era with some incredible "playmakers"(Crosby, Malkin, Thornton, Backstrom etc.). Before McDavid last season Henrik Sedin's 09-10 season was the highest ES scoring season by a single player since Jagr in 95-96.

Henrik Sedin is an easy HOFer in my book. Daniel doesn't have as strong of a case I think, but you can't put one in without the other. A pair of twins coming into the league as teammates and dominating for an extended period of time is something that will likely not happen again for a very, very long time.

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Obviously this was going to happen - and it's deserved. Hope I can get tickets!

No. Not locks. They deserve consideration sure but neither strike me as hall of famers. Though they could get in [MOD]

[MOD] I'll focus on your bolded bit above, because it's ridiculous if you consider how the HHOF actually operates.

Each Sedin has a strong individual case (1000+ career points, Art Ross win, one with a Hart, one with a Lindsay, Olympic gold, top 5/10 finishes, all-star finishes, etc.), and then you add in the uniqueness of them being twins plus the way they played the game. They're getting in.

But if the above accomplishments don't convince you, then consider the following: the HHOF inducts 3-4 NHL players every year. Probably 35+ guys drafted +/- 5 years of where the Sedins were drafted will make it into the HHOF. I've listed below some big names from that time frame below. There are also some eligible candidates coming from earlier years too (e.g. Jagr) and I may have omitted some. But it's also definitely clear the Sedins are better than some of the guys listed below.

- Daniel Alfredson
- Patrik Elias
- Tim Thomas

- Jarome Iginla
- Shane Doan
- Jean-Sebastien Giguere
- Miikka Kiprusoff

- Zdeno Chara

- Joe Thornton
- Marian Hossa
- Patrick Marleau
- Roberto Luongo

- Vincent Lecavalier
- Brad Richards
- Pavel Datsyuk

- Henrik Sedin
- Daniel Sedin

- Henrik Zetterberg
- Ryan Miller

- Marian Gaborik
- Henrik Lundqvist

- Jason Spezza
- Ilya Kovalchuk

- Rick Nash
- Duncan Keith

2003 draft
- Eric Staal
- Ryan Getzlaf
- Corey Perry
- Patrice Bergeron
- Marc-Andre Fleury
- Shea Weber

2004 draft
- Alex Ovechkin
- Evgeni Malkin
- Pekka Rinne

But you only think the Sedins could get in? They don't strike you as hall of famers?

Huh. Tough crowd.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->