Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall Sven Baertschi

Kassattack

Low expectations
Sep 13, 2014
Victoria
What are the rules for post season? Could he be kept up if he does well or does he have to go back after regular season?
I'm excited, really hope he has a good stint, would be an additional motivation for the summer training.

If Kassian and Richardson return then Sven would probably go back to Utica, UNLESS, he really makes impossible to take him off the Canucks roster with amazing play.

van22

May 25, 2014
Just posted this in the prospect forum:

Craig Buttons' recent take on Sven - starts at circa 34:40

Talks about the benefit of a change in scenery because "You don't stop being a smart player. You don't stop being a skilled player. You don't stop being a competitive player."

Also talks about him not fitting in in the Calgary system: "I think that Calgary recognized [...] that maybe Sven Baertschi wasn't going to ultimately be what they felt he could be under the current regime...and hey listen, some coaches prefer one player over another that's going to happen and sometimes as an organization you have to recognize that and move on as well."

"I think that Sven Baertschi was a real astute move by the Vancouver Canucks"

https://soundcloud.com/the-moj/bob-marjanovich-april-3-hour-2#t=34:40

Another Empty Netter

Jan 14, 2011
sven

And to the NHL network guy who compared Vancouver's Baertschi trade to a lousy Oakland Raiders move...

let's hope you're really really wrong

Soth

Feb 18, 2010
I still can't believe those idiots on tsn 1040 were trashing this trade so badly. It is one thing to be hesitant about the trade, but they were making it sound like the worst thing ever.

The whole time I was thinking this is one of the better trades the canucks have made in a while. Even if it doesnt work and Sven ends up being a flop, this is the kind of trade you want to be making. Fortunately I'm pretty sure Sven is going to do well in our system, and his play in Utica shows he is embracing the opportunity and working hard to earn his chance with the Canucks.

Here's hoping he scores 10 goals today!

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I don't like the amount of picks LinDenning has already given away. But I believe he's done giving away picks for now. He came into a new system, and needed to start building a team with new pieces and that includes trading picks.

Sven for a 2nd round is such a great trade. LinDenning nailed this one. I also really like the Pedan trade as well.

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
I don't like the amount of picks LinDenning has already given away. But I believe he's done giving away picks for now. He came into a new system, and needed to start building a team with new pieces and that includes trading picks.

Sven for a 2nd round is such a great trade. LinDenning nailed this one. I also really like the Pedan trade as well.

Trading picks for young players is a lot different then trading picks for rentals.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Hopefully Horvat's work ethic and two-way play rub off on Sven. Good example of how to transition to the NHL.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Hopefully Horvat's work ethic and two-way play rub off on Sven. Good example of how to transition to the NHL.

Or, hopefully Horvat compliments Sven well so that his offense stands out. If Horvat makes Sven a better defensive player, so too do I hope that Sven brings out offense in Horvat (like Kenins did).

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I still can't believe those idiots on tsn 1040 were trashing this trade so badly. It is one thing to be hesitant about the trade, but they were making it sound like the worst thing ever.

The whole time I was thinking this is one of the better trades the canucks have made in a while. Even if it doesnt work and Sven ends up being a flop, this is the kind of trade you want to be making. Fortunately I'm pretty sure Sven is going to do well in our system, and his play in Utica shows he is embracing the opportunity and working hard to earn his chance with the Canucks.

Here's hoping he scores 10 goals today!

Agreed. I would rather trade chances with our second on players like Vey and Sven then constantly play the lotto and hope for the best. While it's a crap shoot either way, we have better odds finding a gem who has just lost favor than pulling out the next Subban. Obviously, you don't do it all the time, but the occasion pick up is definitely worth doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad