Recalled/Assigned: Canucks Recall F Jeremy Welsh from Utica

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
That's how it long it took for him to get ahead of Dalpe on the depth chart.

Yeah, I thought he looked more like an NHL player today than Dalpe did at any point. Good size, seemed to move around okay and anticipated the play better than Dalpe.

Tough to gauge him on this limited viewing but it was an encouraging 1st game IMO. His size alone makes him a much better fit in the bottom 6 than Zac.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Well the blood of the unicorn can give you eternal life, but a very great cost.

#HarryPotterNerd

We don't need any more curses than we already do. :sarcasm:

Emulating Chubarovs #13 pretty well so far!

How could you forget Torres? The man who became a legend after he scored a goal on us in the playoffs? C'mon.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Lots of energy/jump and effective on the forecheck from what I saw. 4th line has been steadily improving game to game.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Lots of energy/jump and effective on the forecheck from what I saw. 4th line has been steadily improving game to game.

*looks at join date and contents of post*

3peex2.jpg

Is that you Jeremy?

:sarcasm:

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
I like him a lot as a 4th liner. My only gripe is that he doesn't look very savvy along the boards (poor balance and use of his body), but with how good he looks in open ice with his speed and aggressiveness, I'll take it.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
So with more viewership, what does everyone think of Welsch? Is he an NHL calibre 4th line player, or not?

Last edited:

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
So with more viewership, what does everyone think of Welsch? Is an NHL calibre 4th line player, or not?
I'll reiterate what I said in the GDT about him. I like him in the fourth line C role, even with a healthy lineup. He is a big body, forechecks well, never seems to be out of position, is on the better side of 50% at FO, and has at least a modicum of offensive instinct. He has averaged 9 min/GP in his 3 games, though some of that is out of situational necessity. He is certainly a more viable archetype for 4C than Dalpe.

I think the ideal healthy bottom six with our current makeup is

Richardson-Santorelli-Hansen
Booth-Welsh-Weise

Dickson and obviously Santo have elevated themselves this year, and are currently better than 4th line players. This allows us to have a respectable third line, and try a few different things on the fourth. I would like this even better if MG picked up a bruiser for 4LW instead of Booth (maybe even Archibald if he impresses like I think he can) but... I think we all know we are stuck with him until the end of the year.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Sestito's ostensibly here for one reason. And...he's unfortunately not that great at it. :laugh:

But really, he's been better thus far than I thought he would be based upon his pre-season.

Sestito was a decent enough 4th liner in Philly. I think what we're seeing this year is a coach who lets his 4th line play hockey, rather than tries to pigeonhole the 4th line into a low-event spincycle. I think AV over-emphasized low event hockey, personally. It might have made sense from a strictly mathematical perspective (maybe), but it also made it hard to ever determine whether the 4th liners were all just awful hockey players or weren't being given a chance to play hockey.

4th line doesn't play much under Torts unless they look good, but he's not afraid to use them when they're doing their jobs -- and he doesn't seem to mind the drunk Sedinery that sometimes results in a goal.

Last edited:

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I'll reiterate what I said in the GDT about him. I like him in the fourth line C role, even with a healthy lineup. He is a big body, forechecks well, never seems to be out of position, is on the better side of 50% at FO, and has at least a modicum of offensive instinct. He has averaged 9 min/GP in his 3 games, though some of that is out of situational necessity. He is certainly a more viable archetype for 4C than Dalpe.

I think the ideal healthy bottom six with our current makeup is

Richardson-Santorelli-Hansen
Booth-Welsh-Weise

Dickson and obviously Santo have elevated themselves this year, and are currently better than 4th line players. This allows us to have a respectable third line, and try a few different things on the fourth. I would like this even better if MG picked up a bruiser for 4LW instead of Booth (maybe even Archibald if he impresses like I think he can) but... I think we all know we are stuck with him until the end of the year.

Well this is good to hear. Based on what Canes fans had to say about this guy, I was expecting the second coming of Eric Walsky.

Also, I'm not proud of how long it takes me to figure out who Dickson is, every time someone says that. Like literally every time.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Well this is good to hear. Based on what Canes fans had to say about this guy, I was expecting the second coming of Eric Walsky.

Also, I'm not proud of how long it takes me to figure out who Dickson is, every time someone says that. Like literally every time.
Holyyy-yyyyy that's a name that disappeared quick.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Sestito was a decent enough 4th liner in Philly. I think what we're seeing this year is a coach who lets his 4th line play hockey, rather than tries to pigeonhole the 4th line into a low-event spincycle. I think AV over-emphasized low event hockey, personally. It might have made sense from a strictly mathematical perspective (maybe), but it also made it hard to ever determine whether the 4th liners were all just awful hockey players or weren't being given a chance to play hockey.

4th line doesn't play much under Torts unless they look good, but he's not afraid to use them when they're doing their jobs -- and he doesn't seem to mind the drunk Sedinery that sometimes results in a goal.

I like drunk Sedinery. That pass from Weise in the Pittsburgh game... :laugh:

But with with AV it always seemed to be "chew up those minutes, go out there, don't make mistakes and try not to get scored on" rather than "let's play and see if we can generate something for the team". IMO it's a mindset that's much more conducive to positive contributions.

That said, we did have some pretty horrible 4th liners in his time here - Johnson, Bolduc, Oreskovich, Desbiens.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I like drunk Sedinery. That pass from Weise in the Pittsburgh game... :laugh:

But with with AV it always seemed to be "chew up those minutes, go out there, don't make mistakes and try not to get scored on" rather than "let's play and see if we can generate something for the team". IMO it's a mindset that's much more conducive to positive contributions.

That said, we did have some pretty horrible 4th liners in his time here - Johnson, Bolduc, Oreskovich, Desbiens.

Oreskovich could have been a solid 4th liner. I was and still am frustrated with that guy, he had the tools but lacked the heart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->