Recalled/Assigned: Canucks Recall F Jeremy Welsh from Utica

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I've always thought italics would serve well as the internet's sarcasm font.

Sure but when you quoted my post it all became italic so now my post about needing a sarcasm font became all sarcastic.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
pretty sure hes thinking more about the $8000 per game as opposed to the 3 minutes per game..

He's on a one-way.

Cue speculation that the only reason they called him up is because it doesn't increase their salary payouts because Aquillini isn't committed to winning.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's on a one-way.

Cue speculation that the only reason they called him up is because it doesn't increase their salary payouts because Aquillini isn't committed to winning.

It's definitely a weird call-up.

I'd speculate more that it's to make the Dalpe deal look a little better.

Pascal Pelletier is off to a flyer of a start (6 points in 3 games) and has previous NHL experience, so would have seemed like the obvious call-up here. He's clearly a better option at this point.

Tanevian*

Pascal Pelletier is off to a flyer of a start (6 points in 3 games) and has previous NHL experience, so would have seemed like the obvious call-up here. He's clearly a better option at this point.

Or it's a way of seeing what we got in the deal. Gillis doesn't seem like he really cares what you or I think. I hope he doesn't. AND if he gets claimed then great, he's off the books.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

I'm guessing it's a few things. Pelletier played yesterday, while Welsh didn't, IIRC, so who knows if they maybe shuffle things around once there's more time available.

Also losing Welsh hurts the Comets less, so maybe they're trying to avoid taking a key guy if they know he's only going to play a couple minutes anyway. Who knows.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Or it's a way of seeing what we got in the deal. Gillis doesn't seem like he really cares what you or I think. I hope he doesn't. AND if he gets claimed then great, he's off the books.

Well, zero chance he gets claimed.

I don't know what the reason is. But it's a strange call-up. An AHL 3rd liner who pretty clearly isn't NHL ready over a guy who is on fire and was basically signed for this type of situation.

SpecialK139

Bo Hor-fat
Aug 8, 2012
Burnaby
This seems like a rehash of the 2010-11 season where Gillis and co. called up just about every prospect in the system to play a little bit on the 4th line while the other 3 lines steamrolled the league. Maybe it's a case of calling up all available/waiver exempt players to see who may/may not stick or what they really have.

Granted, AV gave his 4th liners at least 8-10 minutes a game compared to Torts, so it could just be a no salary increase/waiver exempt/can you play 3 minutes a game kind of try out

I doubt it's to try and make us look like we 'won' the Dalpe trade. We gave up a crapshoot of a pick for a guy who hasn't really busted by any stretch of the imagination. I think by the end of year we have Dalpe still and maybe we can even sneak him to the farm once every other team gives up on him cracking an NHL roster this season. If he does get claimed and isn't re-waived (however that rule actually works... I'm not 100% sure) we gave up a 4th and Aquaman took on some salary. Big whoop.

Tanevian*

This seems like a rehash of the 2010-11 season where Gillis and co. called up just about every prospect in the system to play a little bit on the 4th line while the other 3 lines steamrolled the league. Maybe it's a case of calling up all available/waiver exempt players to see who may/may not stick or what they really have.

Granted, AV gave his 4th liners at least 8-10 minutes a game compared to Torts, so it could just be a no salary increase/waiver exempt/can you play 3 minutes a game kind of try out

I doubt it's to try and make us look like we 'won' the Dalpe trade. We gave up a crapshoot of a pick for a guy who hasn't really busted by any stretch of the imagination. I think by the end of year we have Dalpe still and maybe we can even sneak him to the farm once every other team gives up on him cracking an NHL roster this season. If he does get claimed and isn't re-waived (however that rule actually works... I'm not 100% sure) we gave up a 4th and Aquaman took on some salary. Big whoop.

Please don't ruin it for the chronic complainers.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

Another small element in the deal on the positive side: the Canucks got rid of a player with negative value in Kellan Tochkin. Welsh may actually turn out to have a bit value for the organization. If he plays adequately in three minutes this afternoon he'll have contributed more than Tochkin ever did.

Tanevian*

Another small element in the deal on the positive side: the Canucks got rid of a player with negative value in Kellan Tochkin. Welsh may actually turn out to have a bit value for the organization. If he plays adequately in three minutes this afternoon he'll have contributed more than Tochkin ever did.

And likely more than the 4th rounder we gave up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad