Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign Josh Leivo to 1-Year, 1.5M Deal

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
When I said he showed an ability to score I didn't mean he's a 25+ goal scorer or anything. He might be a bit like Hansen who at his best was producing fine playing with 3rd line players but pair him with Kesler or Sedins with PP time and his offensive production doesn't go up all that much. I see Leivo as like that. He has a good shot and can play with offensively skilled players, but he's not Boeser.

Wasn't Hansen going at like a 27g/45p pace with the Sedins? Did he ever really play much on the PP?

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Player is very inconsistent. Seems to go to sleep at times and drift through shifts. In the right situation, like picking up a loose puck at the blue line and get a quick rush on goal, can look good. But he needs to find ways of turning other situations into chances especially in terms of passing. Also defensive awareness, while generally ok, can falter at times. Would not say he is near a complete player.

Salary isn't awful but if you are penny pinching, as the Canucks need to be, like to see closer to a 1 mill. than 1.5.

Reactions: tantalum

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
i do have a worry that boeser is the only forward on the team operating in his pay grade and with a killer instinct. sometimes you need an anson carter to unlock the next level.
Anson Carter was not what unlocked the Sedin’s true potential. An actual #1C in Mats Sundin coming in and showing them the ropes was honestly what not only unlocked the potential of the Sedins, but also Kesler. The impact the old guy brought is so underrated by this fan base in a similar way Alex Edler is underrated by our fan base overall.
Hopefully additions of guys who have already shown to produce more will push Leivo into a more suited role of 3RW role as the scorer on the line but not be a negative defensive player.

Wasn't Hansen going at like a 27g/45p pace with the Sedins? Did he ever really play much on the PP?
Hansen didn’t get any real PP time until like the final stretch to up his TDL value if I remember correctly. A 27g/45p point pace is basically the almost high end of Alex Burrows who is regarded by even the Twins as their best linemate.

Reactions: mossey3535

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
This is a good signing imo. Very good cap hit and prove it deal. Can even be shipped out as a rental to a contender if someone is willing to overpay.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
good terms. He was not bad for us. 1.5 million is perfect for this player.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
For this particular player I wish they had locked him in for 2 years at slightly less money instead of the one year 'show me' deal. He's young and has more upside than what we've seen. If he scores 20 goals or more (which seems likely if we have any injuries on the left side that will give him top 6 minutes) having to pay him more money next season will suck. He set career highs for goals (14), assists (10) and points (24), and seems to be getting better each season.

Reactions: mossey3535

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Boom or bust year for Leivo; contract is ok in a vacuum. I'm hoping he can become a Higgins-like player at some point, but I don't think his defensive awareness is that close right now.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I've been thinking he might have Higginsesque upside. Solid bottom 6 guy who can chip in and move up when needed to. I don't think that's out of reach for Leivo.

Edit:
Boom or bust year for Leivo; contract is ok in a vacuum. I'm hoping he can become a Higgins-like player at some point, but I don't think his defensive awareness is that close right now.

Nice

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I don't think he fits anywhere in the top 6. He started off hot with the first line, got gifted top offensive opportunities including the 1st unit PP and his production was lacklustre. By the end of the season green moved him off the top line because he was killing plays so much. Last 25 games with the canucks he had 2 ES goals.
I said fill in anywhere in the top3 lines and compared him to a bigger better Granlund.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I still think he has some untapped upside. One of the only guys we had on the wing who would try to win board battles.

This will be his first full year with a team who will give him a consistent opportunity. Sink or swim, no more Babcock excuse at this point.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
For this particular player I wish they had locked him in for 2 years at slightly less money instead of the one year 'show me' deal. He's young and has more upside than what we've seen. If he scores 20 goals or more (which seems likely if we have any injuries on the left side that will give him top 6 minutes) having to pay him more money next season will suck. He set career highs for goals (14), assists (10) and points (24), and seems to be getting better each season.
As a 26 year old this summer, you’d be asking him to commit UFA years for less money than he signed for? That’s a steep ask from an idiot GM who literally just gave a guy an over 50% raise on his last contract despite being easily proven not worthy of such a deal.
Personally this is one player I think a competent GM would take to arbitration no problem and probably win a solid decision in favour of the team. Though that would also only be 1 year, I think squeezing as much value out of every depth player contract is necessary, unlike Dim

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
And he had excellent underlying stats doing so. His issue in Toronto was getting into the lineup and getting an opportunity. But both his underlying stats and the eye test (from Leafs fans) suggest that he performed well when in the lineup and given his opportunities. When he came here he showed an ability to score while having excellent possession stats. Given his 2nd half performance and overall talent level, he's likely not a permanent top 6 option, but he can be an overall solid player who chips in some offense.

Also. I would not hold, not cracking the Toronto lineup against Leivo. They are insanely deep a forward.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Biggest thing with this deal is it's 1 year and not another 2-3 year Benning special. Honestly have the Canucks hired someone recently or is someone else doing the contracts lately? I mean this off season the deals seem fair for Canucks compared to years prior.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I don't think Hansen ever got 1st unit PP time beyond a few shifts here and there.

My recollection is that Hansen cooled off like every single Sedins RW not named Burrows and Carter and Vrbata for one season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Player is very inconsistent. Seems to go to sleep at times and drift through shifts. In the right situation, like picking up a loose puck at the blue line and get a quick rush on goal, can look good. But he needs to find ways of turning other situations into chances especially in terms of passing. Also defensive awareness, while generally ok, can falter at times. Would not say he is near a complete player.

Salary isn't awful but if you are penny pinching, as the Canucks need to be, like to see closer to a 1 mill. than 1.5.
He’s arbitration eligible. Meaning he doesn’t have to take a deal he’s not content with. Can have a third party determine it.

So the Canucks have to be negotiating with the expectations of what an arbitrator would award him.

Does seem a touch high. Would expect expected something in the $1.25-$1.35 like granlund got last season.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
He’s arbitration eligible. Meaning he doesn’t have to take a deal he’s not content with. Can have a third party determine it.

So the Canucks have to be negotiating with the expectations of what an arbitrator would award him.

Does seem a touch high. Would expect expected something in the $1.25-$1.35 like granlund got last season.

Granlund got $1.475M last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad