Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign F Reid Boucher to 1-Year, 2-Way Deal

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Guarantied $400,00 even if he plays most of the year in Utica....actually not far off the NHL league minimum, so little risk for him. Reid has an NHL shot but he's in a logjam to make the Canucks as a full-time player.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Why does anyone care that it’s two-way? There are no cap implications.
No, but there are still implications with how likely he is to get sent down and how much management sees him as a possible full time player. It's reassuring that he'll likely be deployed sparingly in a way that he's suited for (purely as an AHL boost/call-up option) rather than being seen as an actual NHL project that they're planning to give a serious shot to and only send down if it clearly doesn't work out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Serac

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
No, but there are still implications with how likely he is to get sent down and how much management sees him as a possible full time player. It's reassuring that he'll likely be deployed sparingly in a way that he's suited for (purely as an AHL boost/call-up option) rather than being seen as an actual NHL project that they're planning to give a serious shot to and only send down if it clearly doesn't work out.

Agreed. His cap hit is a bit higher than minimum which could scare off teams looking to pick him up for depth.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Hahahaha, I quickly glanced at the thread title and had to do a double take. I thought I read that they re-signed Brandon Reid!

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
"Top line forward for the Comets who’ doesn’t count as a veteran..."

You would be wrong about this aspect.
Last season Reid was a Veteran Elite allowing him to play along with 5 other AHL Veterans putting 6 Vets on the ice at one time. Not so this year. His AHL and NHL games played now total 346 which makes him a Veteran by AHL rules, (321+ games played). Thus, he now becomes one of the 5 vets. An AHL VE would be a big acquisition as Reid was last season.

Right now the Comets would already have 3 vets if Reid cleared waivers and was added to the Comets roster. The other 2 are team captain Carter Bancks and D-man Jaime Sifers. Both of these guys are on AHL contracts and more talented vets would be welcomed. Sitting these 2 wouldn't be unthinkable, especially Sifers, if better vets were acquired to play with the kids.

I stand corrected,he’s played more pro games than I thought.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Why is it bad for the Canucks if he plays 5+ games?

Because he can't skate or play defense and is a bad NHL player?

He's a good AHL shooter who makes a good linemate for prospects we have at that level and that's about the limit of his value.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
You don't think the Comets have a budget?
Is there an AHL salary cap?
Only Benning and Linden can answer that. Last season the Comets had four players on one way contracts and it was pretty much predicted that all four would spend most of the year in the AHL. The four were Boucher, Chaput, Megna and Wierchioch. Plus Pedan before he was traded had a contract with a high AHL guaranteed salary and Bachman had a two way deal with a $450K AHL salary. I would think it is safe to say that the AHL budget changes every year and Vancouver showed at least last year that they don't mind spending money on AHL/NHL tweaner depth and AHL mentors.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I think he meant 'why?' as in, 'why should any of us care?'.

because we have more room to sign other guys to one way contracts and then bury them if need be?

i assume there is some limit to how many guys aquillini will pay a full nhl salary to skate around in utica waiting for our injuries to get 3+ deep.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Guarantied $400,00 even if he plays most of the year in Utica....actually not far off the NHL league minimum, so little risk for him. Reid has an NHL shot but he's in a logjam to make the Canucks as a full-time player.
That's what I figured, semi-2 way deal. Pretty standard on guys with European options.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
because we have more room to sign other guys to one way contracts and then bury them if need be?

i assume there is some limit to how many guys aquillini will pay a full nhl salary to skate around in utica waiting for our injuries to get 3+ deep.
It only matters to Aquilini unless the contract is above about $1m, anything less doesn't count in the against the cap if it is in the AHL. So from the canucks point of view a 1-way $725k contract and $725K/$100K 2-way and a$725K/$300K 2-way (boucher) would count as the same cap ($0) in the minors, it is just it eats aquilini's profits.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Why is it bad for the Canucks if he plays 5+ games?

Probably means we have been either a-ravaged by injuries, b-traded all our NHL forwards away, c-both of the former, d- he's our best option...
All of which would mean we are likely in a gloomy or desperate situation.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Probably means we have been either a-ravaged by injuries, b-traded all our NHL forwards away, c-both of the former, d- he's our best option...
All of which would mean we are likely in a gloomy or desperate situation.

Nah. A callup like Boucher who plays 6 games is nothing. In fact, it would be good value. Injuries are going to happen.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Classic fan hyperspecific literalistic faux argument mongering.

The point is that if Boucher doesn't play for us next year it means things are going very well. There is no point in arguing this broad obvious point.

Reactions: Literally

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Nah. A callup like Boucher who plays 6 games is nothing. In fact, it would be good value. Injuries are going to happen.
Dude.. why you be that way?

Clearly the insinuation is if he has to play a significant chunk of games for us we're not in a good place.
Like Biega.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Classic fan hyperspecific literalistic faux argument mongering.

The point is that if Boucher doesn't play for us next year it means things are going very well. There is no point in arguing this broad obvious point.

Dude.. why you be that way?

Clearly the insinuation is if he has to play a significant chunk of games for us we're not in a good place.
Like Biega.

Boucher will likely be a first-callup guy. Unless there is a significant roster turnover, Boucher playing 6 games for the Canucks isn't going to change a thing. Sorry for being realistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad