Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign F Nikolay Goldobin to 1-Year, $900K Deal

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
This is a good signing. He won't make the team out of camp, but will get waived along with a dozen other similar players at the end of training camp and can hopefully play a meaningful role in Utica as a Gaunce replacement.

Would have maybe preferred to give a potential Motte upgrade like Smith-Pelley a PTO instead, but this is hardly a move to complain about. And who knows, maybe Baertschi retires and Goldobin actually holds down a roster spot.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
goldy has NHL talent. He wouldn't last 10 minutes on waivers.The Canucks have cap problems, hope they put together a package that gets rid of a couple of mediocre players like Sutter and Eriksson. Or Baertschi. we have about 10 players fighting for 3 - 4 spots.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You can't rule out Goldobin being an NHL player, but you can basically rule out Goldobin being an NHL player here.

Some players just don't fit with some coaches. Green didn't even want to play Goldobin last year in garbage time with the team miles out of the playoffs and no other winger options. He should have been given an opportunity at a fresh start elsewhere and the team should have given that roster spot to a player the coach might have confidence in.

That may be true but players can earn the trust of coaches or be given opportunities due to lack of choice. You're also assuming that the Canucks didn't explore trading Goldobin.

I think there's a balance between having players on the roster that the coach wants and having a player on the roster that the team thinks is better for the team. The Canucks have tended towards having players the coach wants. Ultimately, Goldobin is a fringe NHL player. It's not something to be upset about and decrying that he's taking a roster spot away from a guy that the coach trusts.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
More than likely, I think he ends up clearing waivers and playing in Utica - either that, or he rides the pine as a 13th forward and gets into the lineup as injury relief.

He's not making the opening roster on a permanent basis unless something goes terribly wrong.

That's my bet. I wager they want to try sneaking him into Utica once team rosters are more or less finalized.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad