Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign F Nikolay Goldobin to 1-Year, $900K Deal

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Goldobin isn't playing on the 4th line ahead of Motte, who Green absolutely loves. Also it is extremely presumptuous to think Eriksson will be in the AHL.

motte and goldy are on different tracks. i can see goldobin on the roster as a healthy scratch in case someone in the top half of the roster gets hurt. i can also see motte being beaten out by schaller or eriksson in camp or roussell in due course.

i would have said the same as you about eriksson except for what happened with gagner. gagner was a good soldier and good enough as a vet in camp to make the team last year and got exiled. eriksson has made waves already so i think the same fate awaits him.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Good deal. Was told by Green to get stronger and faster during the offseason hopefully he trained hard. Last kick at the can with the Canucks, he hit the post/cross bar more than any other Canuck last season, hopefully those go in this year

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Depth > no depth. Give him a shot in pre season to show that he made strides in his strength, and defensive game this offseason. If he doesn't show anything waive him or package him in a trade if a team is willing to. The contract is so low

I personally think he will squander this last chance, but it's worth a shot. Low risk, high reward

Better to have that depth than not have it and be complaining

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Ferland
Baertschi-Gaudette/Sutter-Virtanen
Eriksson-Beagle-Leivo
Motte Goldobin
Roussel IR

Someone’s gotta go..

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Once Goldobin was qualified, re-signing him was a foregone conclusion absent a trade.

This is just a taking care of business signing. He's there to compete for a spot. We don't have a guy with his skill level and offensive potential outside of the players expected to play in the top 6. I understand the reservations but he presents a different look should the Canucks go that way. I think the chances are another team will pick him up and give him another chance if he goes on waivers. Goldobin might be his own worst enemy though as he sees himself as a top 6 guy

Reactions: sting101

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Once Goldobin was qualified, re-signing him was a foregone conclusion absent a trade.

This is just a taking care of business signing. He's there to compete for a spot. We don't have a guy with his skill level and offensive potential outside of the players expected to play in the top 6. I understand the reservations but he presents a different look should the Canucks go that way. I think the chances are another team will pick him up and give him another chance if he goes on waivers. Goldobin might be his own worst enemy though as he sees himself as a top 6 guy

Oh, absolutely. Once he was qualified the only two outcomes were this or the KHL.

But he should never have been qualified.

As usual, we're wasting time and a roster spot for a year longer when the player should very obviously have been cut loose but was instead given another contract. See Gudbranson 2018, Pouliot 2018, Granlund 2017, Vey 2015, and so on.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Best hope for Goldobin is that Beartschi isn't totally ready to go. Actually wouldn't hurt, in terms of the cap situation, if Baertschi went long term on IR. Given the salaries, Goldobin might potentially provide better better bang for the buck than Baertschi.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I'd say the starting lineup has a high chance of being this:
Ferland Petterson Boeser
Miller Horvat Pearson
Baertschi Sutter Virtanen
Motte Beagle Leivo/Eriksson (unfortunately)

Motte will probably come out guns blazing and will fit like a glove on the 4th line. Goldy will probably sit until a top 9 injury happens

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019

As usual, we're wasting time and a roster spot for a year longer when the player should very obviously have been cut loose but was instead given another contract.

Not exactly. You're missing something very important here. Benning said he wants 3 lines that can score, not just 2. That means there are 6 openings for wingers that can provide offense, not just 4.

I agree with one thing - Goldobin isn't likely in the teams cards with a healthy roster. But if wingers go down with injury, namely Baertschi/Ferland, it opens the door for Goldobin to get some reps. He's still one of the organisation's better depth wingers, even if he's a backup plan at this point.

If the team stays healthy, he likely ends up on waivers and gets claimed.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
He got the shot he we needed to him to have last season and failed to deliver, and usually if a guy can't do it at 23 he's not going to do it at 24 so I'm surprised he didn't just go back to Europe. That said, on the outside chance he can improve it's a positive note that he did sign this contract as he himself must think he can do better.

He has an outside shot competing with Pearson/Baerstchi for a top six spot but otherwise he'll likely be waiting for an injury to happen before getting another chance. Though unless we can manage some trades there's not much room on the roster for him next season either if he's making more than near-minimum.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Familiar depth signing that replaces Gaunce for call ups. Hopefully he lights it up in the A and gets traded somewhere for another chance

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
A few people have hinted at this as Goldy being signed for "competition", but maybe this is a direct statement to Eriksson as much as to Goldobin:

Put up or shut up.

If Baertschi is not ready to go, we have a plan B. My understanding is he is good to go.

Ferland for Roussel. Goldobin for our top six. Motte and Leivo for spot duty or rotation.

I still don't see a down side.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Eriksson doesn’t give a crap. He hasn’t given a crap since he got taken off the Sedin line.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Oh, absolutely. Once he was qualified the only two outcomes were this or the KHL.

As usual, we're wasting time and a roster spot for a year longer when the player should very obviously have been cut loose but was instead given another contract. See Gudbranson 2018, Pouliot 2018, Granlund 2017, Vey 2015, and so on.

I disagree with your assessment. I don't think you can rule out Goldobin being an NHL player. I think Goldobin does bring something to the table that the Canucks don't have much of either on the bottom lines or at the AHL level. If he's lost on waivers well he's not taking a contract slot. If he has a roster spot, he's taking a roster spot away from someone who is less offensively gifted. If he clears waivers and ends up in Utica he's a point per game player and a great callup option to have down in the farm.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
More than likely, I think he ends up clearing waivers and playing in Utica - either that, or he rides the pine as a 13th forward and gets into the lineup as injury relief.

He's not making the opening roster on a permanent basis unless something goes terribly wrong.

If this is true, the post in which I said Baertschi would move Gadjovich to 4th line LW, still happens as Goldy also moves him down to 4th line at best. The NCAA Wisconsin kid, Malone, played better on his ATO than Gadjo at the end of last season, 3G/6GP vs 4G/43GP. The kid could end up putting Gadjo in the wings as a reserve. Boucher, Goldobin, and Perron will be top 3 LWs. Malone, Gadjovich, Arseneau to vie for #4.
RWs MacEwen, Bailey, Jasek, Lind. Some have suggested Camper, who I see as a top 2 center, will play RW. Captain Bancks plays either RW or LW. I can never remember him a healthy scratch under Green or Cull. That would leave both Lind and Gadjovich fighting for 4th line ice time. That's not going to thrill a lot of Vancouver posters, but it sure would cause thsoe 2 to shape up and prove they were worthy of their draft selections. If they can't, they are on their way out. This doesn't account for other Canucks forwards who have to be dealt or waived.

I never believe it, but Gaudette seems destined to start in Utica until Beagle or Sutter get hurt. That issue allowed him to play a total of 14 games in Utica last season. I don't see him being here much more than that this season.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I honestly think he may still fit somewhere, especially in the grind of a long season. Our coach hated Hutton two seasons ago, and while I realize he isn't here now, he did play all last season without being a healthy scratch. If Goldobin works on the items that he was told to work on, and this is evident at camp, I do think our coach will give him a fair shake.

As for where he fits?

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-Miller
Pearson-Sutter-Virtanen
Leivo-Beagle-Goldobin

Gaudette, Eriksson to AHL
Roussel to LTIR

It all comes down to training camp, he will need to compete and play his way on to the roster. If he doesn't he should and will get waived, at which point he may get claimed or start the season in the AHL. I realize that the 4th line isn't a popular place to play Goldobin, but it's nice to have the depth to have that as a viable option.

You left out Schaller, LOL.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I disagree with your assessment. I don't think you can rule out Goldobin being an NHL player. I think Goldobin does bring something to the table that the Canucks don't have much of either on the bottom lines or at the AHL level. If he's lost on waivers well he's not taking a contract slot. If he has a roster spot, he's taking a roster spot away from someone who is less offensively gifted. If he clears waivers and ends up in Utica he's a point per game player and a great callup option to have down in the farm.

You can't rule out Goldobin being an NHL player, but you can basically rule out Goldobin being an NHL player here.

Some players just don't fit with some coaches. Green didn't even want to play Goldobin last year in garbage time with the team miles out of the playoffs and no other winger options. He should have been given an opportunity at a fresh start elsewhere and the team should have given that roster spot to a player the coach might have confidence in.

Reactions: daddyohsix

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Best hope for Goldobin is that Beartschi isn't totally ready to go. Actually wouldn't hurt, in terms of the cap situation, if Baertschi went long term on IR. Given the salaries, Goldobin might potentially provide better better bang for the buck than Baertschi.
Someone getrs it.
For years we hear complaints about depth and no back up plan and in Goldobin we have one and here we go a bunch of complaints about it.

If Baertschi cant go what do we do?
If someon gets seriously hurt in camp in the top6 what do we do?
If Boeser plays hard ball?

LIke how can anyone criticize this move? We own his rights, everyone deserves a 2nd chance, kid has big talent.......it's a no brainer.

Good move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->