Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign F Nikolay Goldobin to 1-Year, $900K Deal

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's fair value, but this is an utterly pointless waste of time.

Goldobin was given the chance of his career and blew it - partly due to poor play, partly due to bad luck, and partly due to the fact the coach really doesn't like him.

With Ferland and Miller added, and Pearson here for a full season, there is basically no chance he gets any sort of look in any real offensive minutes (and he can't play anywhere down the lineup), and will probably be on waivers by Christmas. He should have been let go this summer to give him a chance elsewhere.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
Some forwards definitely need to be traded. We just have too many.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Signing does seem odd..especially with the glut of extra forwards the Canucks have...Maybe he's insurance for when Baertschi inevitably gets injured.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Timing is interesting.

To me it indicates the Canucks were waiting to see if anyone needed a body entering camp and willing to part with a pick for Goldy.

This is one kid that needed a great summer of training... Has the skill... needed some strength and find the will to play a more puck hungry style of play...

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't understand some of these posts, it was pretty evident Goldobin was going to re-sign here per all available reports. Where he fits in is another story, it really depends on training camp.

Well, he had no choice but to sign here if he wanted to continue his career in the NHL.

The problem is that he doesn't fit anywhere, at all. And the coach hates him, and didn't even trust him last year when we didn't have Miller/Ferland/Pearson.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Surprised they brought him back TBH, thought he was done for sure.

Gonna be hard for him to get consistent minutes, didn't get them last year and now he's been bumped further down the left side depth chart.

Could see him pulling a Burmistrov and bolting back home mid-season.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'm sure we will hear about how the term is too long and the cap hit is awful for this deal...

If he makes the team, he is cheaper then the savings of who ever we send down, so I see this an absolute win.

Reactions: pomorick and bh53

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Well, he had no choice but to sign here if he wanted to continue his career in the NHL.

The problem is that he doesn't fit anywhere, at all. And the coach hates him, and didn't even trust him last year when we didn't have Miller/Ferland/Pearson.
Coach is not impressed with his play....does not hate the player.

Reactions: Nomobo and DL44

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

I honestly think he may still fit somewhere, especially in the grind of a long season. Our coach hated Hutton two seasons ago, and while I realize he isn't here now, he did play all last season without being a healthy scratch. If Goldobin works on the items that he was told to work on, and this is evident at camp, I do think our coach will give him a fair shake.

As for where he fits?

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-Miller
Pearson-Sutter-Virtanen
Leivo-Beagle-Goldobin

Gaudette, Eriksson to AHL
Roussel to LTIR

It all comes down to training camp, he will need to compete and play his way on to the roster. If he doesn't he should and will get waived, at which point he may get claimed or start the season in the AHL. I realize that the 4th line isn't a popular place to play Goldobin, but it's nice to have the depth to have that as a viable option.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Kind of reminds me of the deal Pouliot signed last season with the Canucks. It's 'produce or else'. He's an RFA at the end of the season and if things don't work out, they just let him walk.

The other factor is 'waiver eligibility'. If the Canucks wanted to send Goldy to Utica after the pre-season, I doubt there'd be much interest in a player on a one-way $900,000 contract. And the guy has been a fairly prolific scorer at the AHL-level....would definitely be a boon to the Comets.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Surprised they brought him back TBH, thought he was done for sure.

Gonna be hard for him to get consistent minutes, didn't get them last year and now he's been bumped further down the left side depth chart.

Could see him pulling a Burmistrov and bolting back home mid-season.

It sucks for the player because he has no chance of doing anything here and really needed a fresh start elsewhere ... and it's silly for the team because we should be using roster spots on players the coach actually trusts who have a chance of being with the team moving forward.

Reactions: daddyohsix

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I honestly think he may still fit somewhere, especially in the grind of a long season. Our coach hated Hutton two seasons ago, and while I realize he isn't here now, he did play all last season without being a healthy scratch. If Goldobin works on the items that he was told to work on, and this is evident at camp, I do think our coach will give him a fair shake.

As for where he fits?

Baertschi-Horvat-Miller
Pearson-Sutter-Virtanen
Leivo-Beagle-Goldobin

Roussel to LTIR

It all comes down to training camp, he will need to compete and play his way on to the roster. If he doesn't he should and will get waived, at which point he may get claimed or start the season in the AHL. I realize that the 4th line isn't a popular place to play Goldobin, but it's nice to have the depth to have that as a viable option.

Goldy is the 13th forward at this point.
I would say Motte is pencilled in on the 4th line currently.
A lot can change at camp though

Reactions: Luck 6

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

As for where he fits?

Baertschi-Horvat-Miller
Pearson-Sutter-Virtanen
Leivo-Beagle-Goldobin

Roussel to LTIR

Goldobin isn't playing on the 4th line ahead of Motte, who Green absolutely loves. Also it is extremely presumptuous to think Eriksson will be in the AHL.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i am very fine with this. last chance deal for goldy. slight overpay on the qualifying offer. gives the canucks a cheap body for the top 6 if they run into injury or cap issues.

i am seeing a 25 man roster with $4.15m cap space on capfriendly. this includes roussel but excludes gaudette.

so, if gaudette makes the roster, they have the ability to bury a maximum of $2.07m in contracts through waivers before dipping into ltir.

so around $6m is where boeser hovers if they want a fairly headache free season cap-wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad