Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign F Justin Bailey to 1-Year, 2-Way Deal

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Good depth signing. I still feel like we should've had him in at least one game in the playoffs to use his speed and physicality to push back against Vegas and even St Louis.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
There's basically unfinished business here. Hopefully Bailey continues to improve his game and gets a look. He's basically on his last legs as far as getting an NHL look.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
AHL guy for sure. Does signing these AHL guys over the last while indicate there will be an AHL season?
They are going to find some place and some format for AHL players to play competitive, structured games where the outcome matters. There's no alternative. The NHL needs potential callups to be ready for game action and there's no other way to ensure that but to have them playing competitive hockey.

Reactions: Luckylarry

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Remote possibility that he's a late bloomer, after a career year with the Comets. Definitely has NHL wheels, but up until now the hockey sense was apparently lacking, which is the reason he bounced from Buffalo to Philly, and then to free agency.

But it's hard to ignore 28 goals and 47 points in just 53 games in the AHL, which isn't an easy league to put up points. And as I remember, he was on the first unit PK for the Comets, so that's a potential role for him down the road.

A nice depth signing for both the Canucks and the Comets.

Reactions: lindgren

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Looked tremendous in Utica last year. At times, his speed just overwhelmed defenders and a lot of his goals were solely from his own effort featuring some great end to end rushes. (doubt a player like Virtenen would have looked any more dominant)

Big question is whether he can fit into some sort of team concept , especially defensively, or use teammates adequately.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
so, if there is no ahl season, can they still be waived to the ahl and paid an ahl salary?
There will be an AHL season. While the details remain to be finalized, Canucks will likely have a team in Utica, plus a taxi squad in Canada.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Was excellent in Utica and looked very good in very limited minutes during his callup here (did more in his first game than Schaller did in his last 25) but Green as usual refused to play him.

Reactions: F A N

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
He scored 4 hat tricks in a 5 game span last season for Utica, which is an AHL record. No one in the history of the league has ever done it before. He actually had a really decent season, and I can see why the Canucks are rewarding him for it.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Bailey: “I just want to focus on what I can actually control. Do I think that one day I can find a way to stick in the NHL? One hundred percent. I think you look at guys’ careers and everyone has a different path to get where they want to be. Obviously, I’m grateful for everything that’s happened in my career. I’ve played a good amount of NHL games… I definitely know what it takes to get to the NHL. I’m just trying to figure out how to stay there full time.”

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Does he have the PK chops to hold his own at the NHL level? There's definitely room for a guy who can play 4th line minutes and is a threat and wheels going the other way while on the PK.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
MacEwen, Graovac, Bailey, Hawryluk, and Gadjovich are some pretty big/scrappy players. We ought to be punishing the other Canadian teams with these type of bodies in the system. They definitely need to be developed but how much worse than Beagle can they be?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Only way Green will ever give a guy like him a chance is if he thinks he can PK. It’s the same reason why I expect ZMac to be healthy scratched at times this season. Green will take a PK’er over a superior 5v5 player that he doesn’t completely trust on the PK all day long.

If Markus Granlund was still on the team, these guys might still be behind him on the depth chart.

Reactions: F A N

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know it'll never happen, but I'd really like to see the Canucks try out 'a Utica line' with Bailey and MacEwan flanking somebody like Michaelis or Hawryluk. A couple of big wingers, with good wheels crashing and banging down low. And Michaelis seems like a decent two-way center with some offensive chops to his game. And if you wanted a more physical guy in the middle, then maybe Hawryluk is your center.

But sadly, Beagle is a fixture for Green on the fourth line....which effectively means you have one full line that isn't really capable of generating any offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad