Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign F Emerson Etem to 1-Year, $775K Deal (One-Way)

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
This is a very important season for Etem. He needs to prove he can be a solid, consistent top 9 forward, and earn himself a nice multi-year deal.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Why would they need help?:shakehead
(I mean what team with real goal scoring problems would need any help after dealing their leading goal scorer at the trade deadline? :sarcasm:)

They did not forget to paper anyone they made a decision not to send anyone down for the playoffs on purpose as on a case by case basis it made little sense. It is not what is best for the Ahl team it is what is best for Vancouver and the prospect or player. They let the players who qualified for the playoffs play in them. Seems fair to me.

Anyways good no risk contract
for Etem sometimes patience is all that is needed for these guys to figure it out.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
perfect contract to motivate Etem, hopefully he has a good season. It would be a shame for his speed and skill to go to waste.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You know, I didn't particularly like the Sbisa or Dorsett signings, but I am optimistic that Benning has gotten better as a GM. GMs often do make mistakes at and the end of the day it will come down to Benning's overall body of work.

Benning is in his third offseason as an NHL GM. His RFA signings this years have been real solid. The Etem signing for below his qualifying is nice and I was hoping a signing like this would be done (one way contract in exchange for slightly lower cap hit).

they forgot to paper guys to the AHL at the trade deadline.

They didn't forget. They just didn't do it.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Etem's definitely worth another contract to see if he can build on his finish to last season.There's some good potential there if he can keep it going and find consistancy.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
As per capfriendly.com, yes, he'll still be an RFA.

Nice. That was the question I had as well.

Good signing. Hopefully, Etem and Granlund take the next step this year.

p.s._____________By not qualifying Linden Vey, I also hope this puts to rest that Vey was "Willie's boy" or "management's boy," and that in actuality, he was getting loads of ice-time late last year so that management could possibly trade him in the off-season and recoup some value.

If the Canucks are in a similar position this coming April as they were last April, and Etem hasn't panned out, I hope posters on here don't whine about Etem's 'generous' ice-time.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Come on Connor, you know the certain group on this board will be whinning that either a-they're playing favorites with Benning/Willie's boy by gifting him ice time; or b-they aren't playing him enough to boost his value and thus terrible asset management.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Come on Connor, you know the certain group on this board will be whinning that either a-they're playing favorites with Benning/Willie's boy by gifting him ice time; or b-they aren't playing him enough to boost his value and thus terrible asset management.

Yeah look at all these posts whining about it

Shame any time a deal isn't a complete mess all these passive aggressive posts come out.

Fair deal.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

Just because people don't think Benning should be congratulated on a fair, regular, mundane, expected, etc. transaction doesn't mean people are whining.

If he signed Lucic on a Vrbata-type contract, that would be a job well done and deserve praise. When you sign a fringe NHLer to something under 1M, it's nothing.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Argh. I didn't go off on this signing. Just said that this sort of stuff is pretty basic, and that the bar is getting set pretty pathetically low for a 'good move' for this GM.

Someone else implied he's doing great at basic GM stuff ... and yeah, he's not.

The signing itself is obviously reasonable.
Benning has the best e-mail forwards at Canucks HQ, although they're mostly stolen from Ron Delorme, who just shouts them from down the hall after IT disconnected his computer and telephone.

On the signing, $775k for a guy who can play in the league and may still have a little bit to show is just fine, but for Etem, it's probably his last chance to prove he can be an effective NHL regular. There are plenty of former first-rounders toiling in the AHL with great skating ability and no finish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad