Confirmed with Link: (June 26th, 2018) Canucks re-sign D Derrick Pouliot to 1-year Deal ($1.1M AAV)

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
giphy.gif

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
So they didn't qualify him...to give him a bigger raise.

Ryan Biech did an excellent breakdown of the fact that Pouliot had arbitration rights and could easily have commanded a sum larger than this in arbitration. Not qualifying him and signing him for less was a better move than qualifying him - but bringing him back in any sense is the part that's going to be questioned.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So they didn't qualify him...to give him a bigger raise.
That’s based on your assumption that he would simply sign his QO.

Tendering a QO just slows you to maintain his rights. For guys with big cap numbers like lehner/mrazek, who would sign their QO it’s a matter of not wanting to pay the guy that much.

Canucks didn’t want to go to arbitration with pouliot from what I am gathering.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Basically a 'show me' contract...he's still an RFA at the end of the season....Canucks can either re-sign him or expose him to Seattle because he'll have the requisite number of NHL games to be eligible. No lose situation really.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Basically a 'show me' contract...he's still an RFA at the end of the season....Canucks can either re-sign him or expose him to Seattle because he'll have the requisite number of NHL games to be eligible. No lose situation really.
Forgot about expansion. I guess that's a positive. The only positive.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
His qualifying offer was 800k but they didnt qualify him....
I guess they want to give him a new fancy sports car?
He wouldn't have taken that and likely it would have gone to arbitration where he could have argued for a lot more and possibly have gotten it. He sucks, but if they were bringing him back then $ wise it's likely the best they could have done.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
yuck, tweener skilled defender that needs insane sheltering to be effective. would much rather give a player with an actual chance of doing something those minutes.

Reactions: Tanti77

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
He wouldn't have taken that and likely it would have gone to arbitration where he could have argued for a lot more and possibly have gotten it. He sucks, but if they were bringing him back then $ wise it's likely the best they could have done.
Makes sense, and as others mentioned, there is another expansion draft coming up
And my stand on him has always been that as long as it's a one year deal, i dont really care

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
smart move if the expansion is the actually factor why they resigned him

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm just so tired of this management group's moves that I don't even have the energy to comment specifically on this player.

You can paste this post into the past Granlund thread and the future Nic Dowd thread.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Are people really bringing up the expansion draft as the reason for signing him?

They already signed Biega and Bachman - they are covered at those two positions for the draft. They have tons of bad forwards, they are covered there too. Don't use "expansion" as an excuse for bad decisions.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Are people really bringing up the expansion draft as the reason for signing him?

They already signed Biega and Bachman - they are covered at those two positions for the draft. They have tons of bad forwards, they are covered there too. Don't use "expansion" as an excuse for bad decisions.
It's never a bad thing to have one extra player you can potentially exposed in the expansion draft that you wont miss at all

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I'm just so tired of this management group's moves that I don't even have the energy to comment specifically on this player.

You can paste this post into the past Granlund thread and the future Nic Dowd thread.

This management group's attachment to trash fringe players is astonishing. Just because you acquired this player, doesn't mean you have to prioritize keeping them around. Simply being willing to cut them loose can go a long away.

Reactions: MS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad