Recalled/Assigned: Canucks re-assign Darren Archibald to the Comets

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Utica is in tough to make the post-season, but they've got a better shot than the Canucks. Here's hoping that Archibald brings it and gives them a spark.

The Comets are back in action tomorrow night.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
With Richardson back, someone had to go. I've enjoyed the strides Archibald has made this year, hope he can be a boost to Utica's playoff push.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Is Utica a long term thing? I would love to get a local team, like TO. Aqua man should just buy the Heat. Or share ice with the Giants. Better yet, build a new arena for em, with cheap tickets and beer!

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Is Utica a long term thing? I would love to get a local team, like TO. Aqua man should just buy the Heat. Or share ice with the Giants. Better yet, build a new arena for em, with cheap tickets and beer!

For all we know, yes it's a long term thing. Personally, I would hate a local team. The closest team to Abbotsford is Oklahoma City Barons. Travel is horrible. It's much better for the team to be in Utica where it's in bus distance from half the league, if not more.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
For all we know, yes it's a long term thing. Personally, I would hate a local team. The closest team to Abbotsford is Oklahoma City Barons. Travel is horrible. It's much better for the team to be in Utica where it's in bus distance from half the league, if not more.

This. As nice as it would be to travel a short distance to see the next wave play, for the team itself, being in Utica is a far more logical choice given the travel schedules of the AHL. The manner in which Utica has embraced the team, as well, is great to see. I think the first year of this partnership has been overwhelmingly positive, in spite of the team's rocky on-ice start.

Wetcoaster

This is a six year deal with the Comets as the Canucks AHL affiliate. According to Canucks Assistant GM Laurence Gilman, there are mutual outs for both parties at various points throughout the term but they favour the AHL operators.

The Canucks and the Mohawk Valley Garden group, led by former NHL goalie Robert Esche, signed a six-year agreement Friday. Canuck assistant general managers Laurence Gilman and Lorne Henning both attended the press conference at the Aqua Vino Restaurant owned by Esche, a Utica native. The Canucks had been seeking a home for the franchise since purchasing the old Peoria Rivermen two months ago from the St. Louis Blues.

“When we began this endeavour, our original intent was to have our farm team play in B.C. as an extension of our brand,” Gilman said from Utica. “When that wasn’t available, we began to explore other options and we went through an exhaustive search looking at potential locations. The reason we chose Utica is that it is very much in the heart of the American Hockey League.

“There are five franchise within a two-hour drive from Utica – Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, Wilkes-Barre and Adirondack – and when you have a team located in the heart of the American League, you get so much more practice time than you do when the team is based in the west,” Gilman added. “A team in the west may have as many as 70 hotel nights, which is 70 times when you’re not able to practice. That is a substantial in terms of practice time, which impacts development.”​
http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2013/06/14/canucks-welcome-utica-comets-to-their-world/

Laurance Gilman, the Canucks’ vice president for hockey operations, was asked if Utica might be a stop-gap site for the Canucks, who according to reports in Vancouver media are deeply interested in Abbotsford, British Columbia, the current home of the Calgary Flames’ AHL affiliate.

MVG’s contract with the Canucks is for six years.

Esche acknowledged there is an escape clause but suggested it is heavily weighted in MVG’s favor and something the Canucks would be very reluctant to exercise.

“We signed a multi-year agreement,” said Gilman, who signed Esche to his first NHL contract with the Phoenix Coyotes. “We are deeply committed to be here, and we will ice as great a team as possible.”​
http://www.uticaod.com/article/20130614/News/306149896#ixzz2wWf6HbTT

CS&E bought the Peoria Rivermen AHL franchise and initially tried to move it to Abbotsford and the Heat were rumoured to be moving to... Utica. That deal failed.

The Canucks could not put a team in Vancouver because it was within the Heat's 50 mile territorial radius.

Wetcoaster

This. As nice as it would be to travel a short distance to see the next wave play, for the team itself, being in Utica is a far more logical choice given the travel schedules of the AHL. The manner in which Utica has embraced the team, as well, is great to see. I think the first year of this partnership has been overwhelmingly positive, in spite of the team's rocky on-ice start.
That was what CS&E focused upon when it was clear that Abbotsford was a no go.

“When we began this endeavour, our original intent was to have our farm team play in B.C. as an extension of our brand,†Gilman said from Utica. “When that wasn’t available, we began to explore other options and we went through an exhaustive search looking at potential locations. The reason we chose Utica is that it is very much in the heart of the American Hockey League.

“There are five franchise within a two-hour drive from Utica – Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, Wilkes-Barre and Adirondack – and when you have a team located in the heart of the American League, you get so much more practice time than you do when the team is based in the west,†Gilman added. “A team in the west may have as many as 70 hotel nights, which is 70 times when you’re not able to practice. That is a substantial in terms of practice time, which impacts development.â€​
http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2013/06/14/canucks-welcome-utica-comets-to-their-world/

Reckage

Mar 12, 2014
Mind you, things could change when Seattle gets an NHL franchise. If they want a minor league team close at hand, that would make two in the region.

I know, I know. But, for all the talk of big NHL money, there are still franchises where they are giving away tickets to get bodies into the seats.

solitary

Mar 30, 2009
A location with better travel is better for our farm. Less travel for our prospects means more time to practice, recover, and prepare for games. Overall better development. Spending the majority of your time on a bus is a terrible way to hone your skills and overall game.

Utica is a great location for our farm team.

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
Am I crazy in suggesting that Archibald just doesn't "bring it" in his NHL callups?

I've seen him numerous times in the AHL and he seems to have a lot more energy. He is a consistent physical threat down there. Not so much in the NHL. He also does not seem eager to drop the gloves in the NHL, despite doing it regularly.

Comets fans could weigh in on this, but from my perspective he plays a much more effective game on the farm, and seems to hold back a great deal in the NHL.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Am I crazy in suggesting that Archibald just doesn't "bring it" in his NHL callups?

I've seen him numerous times in the AHL and he seems to have a lot more energy. He is a consistent physical threat down there. Not so much in the NHL. He also does not seem eager to drop the gloves in the NHL, despite doing it regularly.

Comets fans could weigh in on this, but from my perspective he plays a much more effective game on the farm, and seems to hold back a great deal in the NHL.

Yeah, Archibald wasn't really making any moves to steal a roster spot. He wasn't awful either - he managed to pick up 3 points, including a goal, and threw 30 hits in 16 games played, which isn't too bad - but it's disappointing that he didn't make a more convincing case to cement a spot on the 4th line. He has the all around skillset to do so.

All in all, easy candidate to send down with the way Jensen is playing. Hopefully he's a big factor in the Comets' playoff push.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Good, he brought absolutely nothing and I expect a much better work ethic from a call up. Needs to get involved, throw a hit or do something out there.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Archibald has been disappointing this season. Coming into this year, he was one of my favourite prospects because he kept working hard to earn his promotions. After making so much progress since being signed, he seemed to ease up after earning those call ups last year. Hopefully he figures out that there's a lot of work to do still if he wants to be a full time NHL player.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Mind you, things could change when Seattle gets an NHL franchise. If they want a minor league team close at hand, that would make two in the region.

I know, I know. But, for all the talk of big NHL money, there are still franchises where they are giving away tickets to get bodies into the seats.

There was discussion a few years back that at least the Pacific teams were considering setting up a farm league in the West. In my mind, you need that full move of at least 6 NHL teams willing to move their farms before it's beneficial. But I think with the Canucks getting their farm team out east, they're going to stick around there. Having a local team would be cute, but most important is player development. They have a team now, and they can focus on stability and development - something that hasn't been there since the Canucks lost the Moose.

I assume the Canucks will keep their farm team in Utica indefinitely unless there's a major issue.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think he was trying to reign in his game so he wasn't taking himself out of position to make big hits. Problem is, that's a big part of his game. I think he showed he can take a shift without hurting the team, but the next step for him is going to prove he can be a factor in games while continuing not to hurt the team.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
That was what CS&E focused upon when it was clear that Abbotsford was a no go.

“When we began this endeavour, our original intent was to have our farm team play in B.C. as an extension of our brand,†Gilman said from Utica. “When that wasn’t available, we began to explore other options and we went through an exhaustive search looking at potential locations. The reason we chose Utica is that it is very much in the heart of the American Hockey League.

“There are five franchise within a two-hour drive from Utica – Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, Wilkes-Barre and Adirondack – and when you have a team located in the heart of the American League, you get so much more practice time than you do when the team is based in the west,†Gilman added. “A team in the west may have as many as 70 hotel nights, which is 70 times when you’re not able to practice. That is a substantial in terms of practice time, which impacts development.â€​

Syracuse and Binghamton were left off the list and they are both less than 2 hours away.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

I hope that's how Vancouver management/ownership continues to see it. It was how the said they saw it when the deal was inked.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Thanks for your supportive response. the relationship has been nothing but a success so far. The Utica fan base looks forward to a long and prosperous future.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
A location with better travel is better for our farm. Less travel for our prospects means more time to practice, recover, and prepare for games. Overall better development. Spending the majority of your time on a bus is a terrible way to hone your skills and overall game.

Utica is a great location for our farm team.

Utica thanks you from the bottom of its great big happy heart. Go Canucks! Go Comets! Brothers in arms.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Having our AHL affilate in Utica is such a huge improvement over the crap show we had in Chicago.Not only are our prospects getting much better development and ice time,the fans seem super supportive (thanks,guys) as opposed to the Wolves fans.
I remember the Wolves made the playoffs last season and the building was empty for the home games.It turns out most of the regular season attendees were there on complimentary or promotional tickets and really don't give two rips about the team and would'nt spend their own money for playoff tickets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad