Canucks Preview

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Really they could have anyone except for John Shorthouse and John Garrett and it would be the same thing. We all like to joke about it, but I think our perception around the league and with media actually affects us on the ice.

We need to do some serious to improve the way we are viewed by the media (i.e. hire someone who is loved in Eastern Canada to be our President).

Yet our best season in franchise history was when we embraced the "Deal With It" moniker. These are grown men, not boys who get the sniffles because they didn't get enough hugs. Do you honestly think they give one iota what some pundits think?

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
This is just plain not true.

It was harder to see in a short season, but the Kings were a pretty solid team in the regular season last year. They finished with more goals for and fewer goals against than we did, and finished with better advanced stats despite the cup hangover and a really poor season from Quick. I don't think there's any question if you switch our divisions, the Kings would have finished with a good chunk more points than we did.

Guys like Doughty and Richards do seem to crank it up a level in the playoffs (or perhaps just party to hard in the regular season). However, that doesn't mean they aren't a top level team in the regular season as well.

I was not discussing goals or advanced stats, im referring to where they finish at the end of the regular season in the standings. Do you want to look at goals for them the year they won the cup as well? They struggled to score and were 2nd last in the league. Not to mention the cup run year they barely made playoffs.

Sure you could put almost any team in our division and we could assume they would finish with more points but thats purely speculation by us, we had a winning record against the kings last season, same with minny, the season which you are going by, and the one game we lost we blew and lost in a shootout. And do I think either team would have stood a chance against them last year in playoffs? No. But my point is they have not been a consistently dominate regular season team over the past few years. Thats all i was saying, they had some struggles last regular season as well at times when quick was struggling as you also acknowledged. And quick rarely struggles in playoff games, same with richards, and doughty, and brown, those guys turn it up to a next level in playoffs, in regular season I dont see near the effort level put forth by some of the kings top players. Thats just based on my viewing of l.a. games over the past few seasons. And they certainly are not a bad regular season team, but were discussing how many pundits have them finishing 1st, which I dont think they will. I assume you have them finished 1st as well judging by your response.

I personally think san jose will finish first, but I know not everyone will agree with that, la is a popular pick but not one i completely agree with. L.a. definitely has the personnel however.

Last edited:

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
Media make me sick sometimes...

Stop talking about the Luongo situation.. the only reason we can't forget about it is that these guys keep bringing it up, let the guy play some ****ing hockey without being bothered and compared to others allll the time.

Reason he was so good in Florida was he didn't have the pressure, and when he first came to Van, he used the pressure to work harder, but after a couple bad games everybody turned on him and he's never been the same since.

**** and let him play, and everything will fall into place

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
Media make me sick sometimes...

Stop talking about the Luongo situation.. the only reason we can't forget about it is that these guys keep bringing it up, let the guy play some ****ing hockey without being bothered and compared to others allll the time.

Reason he was so good in Florida was he didn't have the pressure, and when he first came to Van, he used the pressure to work harder, but after a couple bad games everybody turned on him and he's never been the same since.

**** and let him play, and everything will fall into place
they are still mad from two years ago SCF when he walked by the sportsnet desk and didnt talk to
them......talk trash and nobody wants to talk to you....then kyper milliard and mclean act like babies(oops unprofessionlism)

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Really they could have anyone except for John Shorthouse and John Garrett and it would be the same thing. We all like to joke about it, but I think our perception around the league and with media actually affects us on the ice.

We need to do some serious to improve the way we are viewed by the media (i.e. hire someone who is loved in Eastern Canada to be our President).

Respect from the media, of all sources, doesn't win you games nor does it lose you games.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Lots of people think the Canucks will finish fourth and lower. This reflects the perceived miscasting of Tortorella as savior. It's pretty legitimate, I think. Even if Tortorella squeezes every last ounce of potential from this line up they are no threat in the playoffs. It's not like Vigneault was dogging it.

The Canucks only ever attempted something like the Tortorella system during the playoffs. They haven't been able to attain "playoff level" of play for years. The team was unable to add elements to further the new agenda. Tortorella is being asked to wring playoff intensity out of a really poor playoff team. It's not a fit, in the opinion of some observers. The new schedule and division will certainly expose the fail quickly, if there is to be one. Whatever.

A poor season might actually benefit the team if it is managed properly. Young players can be given minutes and prepare for larger roles. This season, could be the last as Canucks for significant guys. Next season the team might be completely remade with a crew of twenty year olds. That's the Tortorella team.

I think they make the playoffs, personally. Placement isn't a giant issue.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I don't think we'll be first. I think Lu will go HAM, but I Lack faith in Eddie. We may not finish first in our division, but if the Sedins can elevate their play in the playoffs and Kesler stays healthy, then I think we can do some damage in the playoffs. I think we'll make SCF. :D

J Canuck

Mar 19, 2013
the couch
That started to get a little loud. Kypreos was pretty obnoxious. Gillis never promised, PROMISED to trade somebody. Such promises can't be kept since any trade obviously requires a 2nd party to the transaction. "He wanted a home run" but I wouldn't consider Scrivens a home run, more like walking to 1st after getting beaned.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I think this could be a hard season for many Canuck fans, we won't be pumped up as a cup contender or the favs to win it nor will we be the best team in our divsion and likely not 2nd either maybe not even 3rd. Even as a Canuck fan I don't pick us as a cup winner this year or divisional winners, I'm not even sure we'll make it past the 1st round, we should be a playoff team. Just way way too many questions around the Canucks from Sedins declining stats to injuries to new coach to Luongo.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
tortorella missed the playoffs in his first seasons in tampa bay and new york...with the unpredictability of the new divisional format it's not out of the question that the canucks could be battling hard for the 4th spot, especially since they've been pretty much at par points-wise with los angelas, san jose, phoenix and anaheim lately...a couple key injuries expose the lack of organizational depth and boom, could be looking at a 5th or 6th place finish

also while i'm sick of talking about the luongo situation as much as the next fan, it's not like the media is making up stories out of thin air...it's still an open question as to how luongo performs moving forward, how committed he will be to the canucks in a non-olympic year if things go poorly this season, and how lack performs as a backup if luongo struggles early...i mean the luongo threads were so long on this board that we've run out of roman numerals to count the threads, so there's clearly still an appetite out there to analyze the situation

Nov 1, 2011
Yet our best season in franchise history was when we embraced the "Deal With It" moniker. These are grown men, not boys who get the sniffles because they didn't get enough hugs. Do you honestly think they give one iota what some pundits think?

I think that the refs do. All they hear about is how we five and are hair pulling cheap shot artists. And what they hear from each other is wise than what the media is saying.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Well I'm going to predict we win the west and its due to riding luo's back. I also predict we trade booth and our first with a second rate prospect at the deadline for someone who can actually play the game. Finally luo wins the Vezina trophy this year, this is in part due to a great season statistically and a team that overachieved, but also because he will have become a sympathetic vote for rebounding from the Schindler affair.

We all celebrate and troll other fans with our smug condescending outlook that dares to debate firing the best GM we have ever had by a country mile.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
"call me crazy, but I don't think the Vancouver police department
is planning for another June riot"

good call Taylor :laugh:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Oh wow that panel...

They should get Dreger, Steve Moore and Kelly Hrudey in there to cap off the group as "people in the media that hate the Canucks the most..."

Kypreos, McSorely, Turco and MacLean...? Yikes.

Yeah it's a gongshow. People were calling it the panel of castoffs and rejects last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->