Canucks Preview

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
TSN had us at 4th.

I think that these pundits are still overestimating LA from their run 2 years ago, and the Ducks because of their hot start. LA has a decent build for playoff competition, but they haven't been a regular season performer yet. Quick had a horrid season last year, and Bernier bailed out a playoff spot for them.

Fasth propelled the Ducks to a hot start, but I think if that season had 82 games, they would have been fighting for one of the last few playoff spots. They are down Bobby Ryan now too, and Teemu has started to show his age.

I'd say the Canucks finish either 1st or 2nd in the division and will have a home playoff date in the first round.

Yea i think la is ranked so high because of how they play in playoffs, they really ramp it up during playoffs, but that does not mean they have been a strong regular season team.

Also agree with the ducks, the blue line of the ducks does not look that good once you get past fowler and beauchemin, and im unsure if beauchemin played way over his head last season, and loosing ryan wont help. Subtracting ryan is a big loss to the ducks top end scoring talent. I am guessing they may add etem somewhere to the line up again though which would help a bit.

I think the sharks may finish first, but I like our chances better then some will acknowledge.

This was a potential forward lineup for the ducks I seen and defense to start the season.

Penner - Getzlaf - Perry
Silfverberg - Bonino - Selanne
Winnik - Koivu - Cogliano
Beleskey - Perrault - Palmieri

Fowler - Beauchemin
Allen - Lovejoy
Vatanen - Fistric

Last edited:

Mdmopa1

Mar 1, 2012
Upstate, New York
Yea i think la is ranked so high because of how they play in playoffs, they really ramp it up during playoffs, but that does not mean they have been a strong regular season team.

Also agree with the ducks, the blue line of the ducks does not look that good once you get past fowler and beauchemin, and im unsure if beauchemin played way over his head last season, and loosing ryan wont help. Subtracting ryan is a big loss to the ducks top end scoring talent. I am guessing they may add etem somewhere to the line up again though which would help a bit.

I think the sharks may finish first, but I like our chances better then some will acknowledge.

This was a potential forward lineup for the ducks I seen and defense to start the season.

Penner - Getzlaf - Perry
Silfverberg - Bonino - Selanne
Winnik - Koivu - Cogliano
Beleskey - Perrault - Palmieri

Fowler - Beauchemin
Allen - Lovejoy
Vatanen - Fistric

What about Sibsa and Souray?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
The Ducks were one of the worst teams in terms of underlying numbers and they did not improve from last season. It's going to be a long year for them unless their goaltending is absolutely brilliant and even then it will be tough (look at Columbus last season).

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Yeah the Ducks might kill us head to head but I don't see them being strong competition in the divisional race.

Similar to the Sharks (although they are at least good enough to make a run for the division title), they are tougher on us than they seem to be on everyone else.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
The Ducks were one of the worst teams in terms of underlying numbers and they did not improve from last season. It's going to be a long year for them unless their goaltending is absolutely brilliant and even then it will be tough (look at Columbus last season).

Not surprisingly. On the TSN preview Ferraro and Mackenzie felt Anaheim is the team that will miss the playoffs.

Tanevian*

Listening to the opinion of anyone in the EST should be for entertainment purposes only. Maybe after this season with everyone playing everyone these guys will have a slightly bigger clue.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Listening to the opinion of anyone in the EST should be for entertainment purposes only. Maybe after this season with everyone playing everyone these guys will have a slightly bigger clue.

I generally feel like Mackenzie has his head on straight. At least he always covers his bases and usually doesn't make definitive statements about how things will be, pulling these ideas directly from his ass a la Kyprios.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
I generally feel like Mackenzie has his head on straight. At least he always covers his bases and usually doesn't make definitive statements about how things will be, pulling these ideas directly from his ass a la Kyprios.

what does mckenzie know? does mckenzie have a cup ring? yeah...didn't think so :sarcasm:

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver

This is just plain not true.

It was harder to see in a short season, but the Kings were a pretty solid team in the regular season last year. They finished with more goals for and fewer goals against than we did, and finished with better advanced stats despite the cup hangover and a really poor season from Quick. I don't think there's any question if you switch our divisions, the Kings would have finished with a good chunk more points than we did.

Guys like Doughty and Richards do seem to crank it up a level in the playoffs (or perhaps just party to hard in the regular season). However, that doesn't mean they aren't a top level team in the regular season as well.

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
there are a large number of media out east that dont watch western games due to late night............so you catch either first 10 mins of game or watch highlights.....and then base your assumptions on that or assumptions of others...

case in point ive seen many media pundits talk about how poor garrison was for us..sure he was tenative and overpassed or deffered to the vets on team..early on...but he settled in

year before he scored 16goals......last year 8...thats terrible

unless you actuall follow games rather than just looking at stats(john shannon you can actually dig into stats than quote them+others)

8goals 47 games = 14goals in a 82 game season....will be intresting to see how many he gets now that he comfortable in the group

do agree with TSN that after sedins and Kesler we do lack true forward to put the puck in the net or drive the bus.....so if healthy we are okay

yes we have some good depth players and we do score a ton from our backend...but thats why they waited to see if our young guys could come in and make a name for themselves(dynamically of course at the NHL level)

Tanevian*

Fair enough. He is the guy who says little because he realizes it would affect his credibility. The others have no credibility to protect.

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
LA will stifle you and play defensivly minded games and they can win alot of games 1-0.....2-1 on a consitent basis.......and their forward froup will play you tough and hard from lines1-4.......with Mitchell and grenne back they can elevate Quick up with one save and its cleared....they were really hoping Toffeli(sp) could make it to give them more scoring punch

Anh solid goalie tandem....power house top line than can snipe or drive through bodies to score...... decent defnsive core with guys playing at their peak last year.....souray and beachmin but they have injuries
this may be a weak link in a full season compared to last year........on flip side Perry was terrible...if he gets better this year ..it will balance out some of the shortcomings

SJ was written off last 2 years........defence is better than then and they have couture,pavelski and now brett burns to supplement aging core in marleau and thorton
and they are tough in the FO zone.....

we have as good a defence core 1-5 as anybody in the west and great goaltending as anybody....can it all be put together.....still score with out giving up alot of prime scoring chances

can we restablish our Fo's (Kesler healthy is huge ).....our PK and PP to top 5 status
can Booth play a solid campaign and conntribute....can kassian be consistent(we do need his huge body playing well in a physical confrence)

but just having a healthy lineup will be huge jumpstart.....and a coach fresh with a diffrent perspective to sharpen the vision of our guys

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
This is just plain not true.

It was harder to see in a short season, but the Kings were a pretty solid team in the regular season last year. They finished with more goals for and fewer goals against than we did, and finished with better advanced stats despite the cup hangover and a really poor season from Quick. I don't think there's any question if you switch our divisions, the Kings would have finished with a good chunk more points than we did.

Guys like Doughty and Richards do seem to crank it up a level in the playoffs (or perhaps just party to hard in the regular season). However, that doesn't mean they aren't a top level team in the regular season as well.

Depends, are the Canucks missing Kesler and Booth for the majority of the season? Their GA/G ratio was only .02 better than the Canucks. VAN finished tied for 9th while LA finished tied for 7th. Something, but largely nominal. Both teams finished at 59 points last year. The real separator is GF/G, and what adding scoring depth/skill will mean for VAN in the comparison. In 2011-2012, VAN finished ahead with 2.94 G/G to 2.29 G/G for LA. That's a big gap.

LA, for whatever reason, just doesn't separate themselves in the regular season like they should. They have not finished higher than 7th overall in the last 4+ years.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Really they could have anyone except for John Shorthouse and John Garrett and it would be the same thing. We all like to joke about it, but I think our perception around the league and with media actually affects us on the ice.

We need to do some serious to improve the way we are viewed by the media (i.e. hire someone who is loved in Eastern Canada to be our President).

Don Cherry for president? :sarcasm:

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
I really want to see the Canucks play with a chip on their shoulder, like they have something to prove.

Am I the only person who thinks Dallas is going to be vastly improved this season?

Pacific
Chicago seems to be same although I think they lost a couple strong depth players in Dave Bolland, Michael Frolik, & Viktor Stalberg. That's as solid a 3rd line as any in the NHL gone. Who replaces that?

LA looks to have been the most stable team and I think the Division is theirs to lose.

SJ I am not sold on and the 9 game win streak vs the Canucks has a lot to do with luck and piss poor play from the Canucks.

Edmonton also should not be counted out. They get hot and Ferrence helps to stabilize their D they could be a dark horse.

Bottom line passion and health will determine the Canucks season.

Soth

Feb 18, 2010
Personally I think third is the lowest we finish. Anywhere from #1 -> #3 wouldnt surprise me, but i think we have a better chance of landing in the top 2 spot than #3. The injury bug will determine where we finish imo - but that is the case with most teams and injuries i suppose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad