Canucks Playoffs Defence Pairings

Dain Bramaged

Mar 29, 2013
Vancouver
The Bieksa-Hamhuis pairing hasn't worked at all this year, and Garrison seems to be a better fit than Bieksa on the top unit anyway. Edler-Tanev is also a great 2nd pairing.

If Ballard-Bieksa can't work it out on the easiest minutes/3rd pairing role, then it doesn't matter they go; we won't advance past the 2nd or 1st round if they continue to be dysfunctional or simultaneously combust.

Alflives*

IMO, Garrison is more suited to play against tough forechecking teams than Bieksa, he has the size and decision making to play effectively against those types of teams

Bieksa is physically smaller, and that is why he is not really a top pair guy: with that I agree. However, against a heavy forecheck Bieksa will play with a nasty edge that Garrison does not. This 'edge' makes Bieksa a perfect fit - under those circumstances - with Hamhuis.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Bieksa is physically smaller, and that is why he is not really a top pair guy: with that I agree. However, against a heavy forecheck Bieksa will play with a nasty edge that Garrison does not. This 'edge' makes Bieksa a perfect fit - under those circumstances - with Hamhuis.

Bobby Orr is 5'11. I guess due to his physical limitations he was never a top pair guy either? :shakehead

Bieksa not being a top pair defenseman has nothing to do with his size.

Alflives*

Bobby Orr is 5'11. I guess due to his physical limitations he was never a top pair guy either? :shakehead

Bieksa not being a top pair defenseman has nothing to do with his size.

Bobby Orr was not defined by his 'edge'. Neither are Eric Karlson and Duncan Keith. They are smaller guys too, yet they are franchise #1 guys, becuase they are defined by their level of skill, not their 'edge'. Bieksa - to be most effective - needs to play with an 'edge'; it's the 'edge' that defines him. His size makes it difficult for him to play that way in tough minute circumstances. Consequently, he is much better suited as a 3/4 guy. I really like his game, but to not accept that his size limits his effectiveness is not accurate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad