Canucks Playoffs Defence Pairings

cotillion

May 26, 2011
PoCo
So. Playoffs are 2 weeks away and we are still looking at different combos almost nightly for D-Men pairings. We have these guys available:

bieksa, edler, hamhuis, ballard, garrison, tanev, barker, alberts

Which are the best pairings for the playoffs? Poll Included.

Mine are:

Bieksa / Hamhuis
Edler / Garrison
Tanev / Ballard
7th: Alberts
8th: Barker

edit: poll messed up, missed some combos with ballard... just write em down :D

Last edited:

cotillion

May 26, 2011
PoCo
You're missing Ballard - Tanev.

I'd go

Hamhuis - Garrison
Edler - Bieksa
Ballard - Tanev

Dunno man, Edler and Juice is pairing 2 not so safe guys together...

If I were to rate the D men from safe to dangerous wtf mode, it would be:

Hamhuis
Garrison
Tanev
Edler
Ballard
Bieksa
Barker
Alberts

edit: can a mod add Ballard / Tanev? ... I'm like 6 Kokanee's in :(

Last edited:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Voted bieksa-hammer, edler-garrison, and any pairing with tanev in it...

Been loving The ALBERTS tho... would be very comfortable with Alberts in the lineup... 3rd pairing of course. But he's been displaying massive confidence lately.

Ballard-Tanev would be the 3rd pairing i would be in favor of... but feel good about Ballard-Alberts if need be....

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Hamhuis Garrison
Edler Tanev
Alberts Bieksa

Ballard on 4th line left wing as insurance.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
So. Playoffs are 2 weeks away and we are still looking at different combos almost nightly for D-Men pairings. We have these guys available:

bieksa, edler, hamhuis, ballard, garrison, tanev, barker, alberts

Which are the best pairings for the playoffs? Poll Included.

Mine are:

Bieksa / Hamhuis
Edler / Garrison
Tanev / Ballard
7th: Alberts
8th: Barker

edit: poll messed up, missed some combos with ballard... just write em down :D

Same here

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Poll is missing the vaunted Ballardev pairing.

I've elaborated quite a bit on this, but i honestly don't understand why we're not seeing:

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Ballard-Tanev

It's two proven pairings, and the 2nd pairing is one that should work, with Garrison babysitting Edler. And it can't be any worse than the Edler+Bieksa abomination.

Nov 1, 2011
I must be out to lunch, my pairings aren't even on the board.

Hamhuis - Garrison
Edler - Tanev
Ballard/Alberts - Bieksa

...tell Bieksa to focus on defense. I like him playing defense exclusively 5 on 5.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I really want to see Ballard - Garrison with the Sedins. Garrison for the defensive play, and Ballard with the ability to skate the puck.

I don't want to see that in the playoffs without seeing it beforehand though, because I'm not THAT crazy.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Hamhuis-Garrison
Edler-Bieksa
Alberts-Tanev

Ballard plays as fourth line wing and seventh d-man. Our D never stays healthy in the playoffs.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
eggs all in one basket.

Thats why I choose them because they will be your number 1 shut down line. Typically handling the tough minutes are your top shutdown players. And with tanev edler on the 2nd unit, I dont really think thats eggs in one basket. I also hate to mess with our best D pairing right now.

As i said in another thread in a perfect world your pairings would be ideal for balance, but I am worried and not sure if kb even with hamhuis this season can handle top pairing and top minutes against the other teams top line, but I do know garrison can.

So in a perfect world and if i feel like taking a risk, I would love to try your pairings.

My safe pairing choices however that I feel confident will work and have worked at times this year.

Hamhuis/Garrison

Edler/Tanev

Alberts/Bieksa (least minutes, bottom pair)

But i do agree sooner rather then latter would be the time to try hamhuis/bieksa and edler/garrison with tanev out right now. But it better be asap and bieksa better look incredible on that top line and garrison better click with edler right away. Its risky.

Last edited:

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
This.

Hamhuis-Garrison
Edler-Tanev
Ballard-Bieksa

I don't want to see Alberts in our top-6.

Yea I would go with either ballard/alberts-bieksa as our bottom pair, i like alberts physical play but feel ballard is much better when hes on his game. I know a poster the other day thought ballard/bieksa was a disaster waiting to happen, but i should hope those two can handle the easy minutes as our last pairing.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Hamhuis/Garrison has to be the #1, and once the playoffs roll around, they need to be playing 26-27 minutes a night.

Alflives*

Hamhuis/Garrison has to be the #1, and once the playoffs roll around, they need to be playing 26-27 minutes a night.

Don't you think it depends on the match-up? Bieksa would be a better option with Hamhuis, if the opponent plays a heavy game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->