Canucks ownership purchases eSports team

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I did some searching but couldn’t find the answer.

Does buying into the OWL solely get the rights to Blizzard’s Overwatch game in league play? Or do they get rights to other Blizzard products or new games in the future if Blizzard expands them into leagues?

In short: my question is whether they’re buying into Overwatch only or buying into all of Blizzard’s games?

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
I did some searching but couldn’t find the answer.

Does buying into the OWL solely get the rights to Blizzard’s Overwatch game in league play? Or do they get rights to other Blizzard products or new games in the future if Blizzard expands them into leagues?

In short: my question is whether they’re buying into Overwatch only or buying into all of Blizzard’s games?

Looked into this a little as well. From what I gathered, franchise fee only buys into Overwatch League however owners would have first right of negotiation for future leagues such as a possible Call of Duty League.

Sources: OWL owners get first bid at possible CoD franchise spots

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Soccer fans in Switzerland delayed a match on Sunday to protest esports in an unusual way, according to the Associated Press.
The fans reportedly threw tennis balls and game controllers onto the field, forcing the referee to stop the game between Young Boys and FC Basel for two minutes while everything was cleared away. The Young Boys protesters then held up a giant banner with a pause button symbol, while Basel fans also raised their own sign supporting the protest. One of the banners read “Scheiss esports,” which roughly translates to “esports are s—.”

European soccer clubs are increasingly getting involved in esports leagues. While Young Boys doesn’t have any skin in professional gaming yet, Basel has its own “FIFA” team.
The global esports economy is expected to grow by 38% to $905.6 million this year, according to market intelligence company Newzoo. While North America remains the largest market, Western Europe is the second-largest region in terms of revenue and it’s expected to make $169 million this year.
“Western Europe, more than any other region, is characterized by localized esports ecosystems that operate next to regional tournaments and leagues,” Newzoo said. “While international leagues are very popular, local esports organizers have done extremely well over the past few years. Some notable examples are ESWC (France), Gfinity (UK), and LVP (Spain). As audiences across countries are culturally diverse, many sponsors, media companies, and investors that operate on a local level are looking for esports initiatives that match their strategy.”

Swiss Soccer Fans Temporarily Stop Game to Protest Esports

Why fans would get upset over esports?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Seeing as this is turning into a catch-all, should we have a general eSports ownership thread? Or even a general business of eSports thread?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad