Rumor: Canucks offered 1st, 2nd, Sutter, Virtanen for OEL

lawrence

May 19, 2012
No high end pieces for Arizona (no disrespect to Virtanen)

a high end piece means a big contract going back in return, which was something Coyotes wasn't looking for. Rumors that, no matter what, a contract has to go back no matter what, and it was believe to be Sutter from the beginning, since Arizona wasn't on his no trade list.

Adding of sutter killed the deal us my guess

Sutter is the one contract going back. This was from the beginning and a deal was done it was going to be Sutter with Arizona not on his no trade list.

Surprised no prospect was offered.
same here. Canucks arm chair was thinking it was going to be one of Juolevi/Rathbone, Kole Lind, 1st rounder Brandon Sutter. Surprised Jake Virtanen was included since he is probably going to be a 2.5 million dollar player for at least 2 years.

I'm sorry, I call BS on all this "Benning was saved from himself here" revisionist history. That frames this as "Arizona was stupid to turn this down" which is a load of malarkey. This is Benning making a low-ball offer for a top pairing

the stuff I've been saying about Benning is ban worthy if I've said to another member. I dislike Benning right now as a GM, but I think he made a reasonable offer given the circumstances surrounding what is happening with the OEL situation, which is a 2 team list and a flat cap era. I have high regards for OEL, even if we failed this trade, I still do and see him as a star, but this is the best offer not to mention if this was our final offer, it beats whatever Boston has to offer apparently since they were out of the running. If we offered a 1st, 2nd, Jake, and Sutter, it means we've already offered more then Boston.

In more kinder words based on us being the other team that is available for trade, the Vancouver Canucks, or Jim Benning has the upper advantage of this point. As mentioned by myself in the past, it's a "reverse Kesler" for us. If you don't remember Ryan Kesler demanded a trade, and the trade list was 2 teams, which also handicapped Benning too 2 teams. So no, I think Benning made a reasonable offer, given what's happening now, Arizona might be screwed since this offer is off the table.

With respects to Armstrong, ya know what, he did the right thing by not accepting it. It is a low offer, when it's time to trade him again, he might not get the same offer again.

That's a massive offer from Van.. thank god for Canucks the Yotes said no....

Not massive in my opinion, but reasonable, tiny bit low balled, but given our leverage of being the one of 2 teams, Benning was smart to offer this.

They should take it and run.

yea it's too bad, since this offer is more then what Boston has to offer.

Coyotes wise to reject it. They lose bigtime.

They will get a lot less now that this offer is off the table.

I'm sure Arizona's owners are pumped to be paying OEL a little under $20 mill over the next couple of years.

They sure are. too bad.

Vancouver is lucky they turned it down

Vancouver really should have kept Markstrom
We did try, we made an massive offer for him, but in the end Calgary beat us to it. Gotta move on.

I’m glad it was declined.

same.

I wanted OEL, but am very happy with the Schmidt trade instead.

same. so much more value, Schmidt's advanced stats, literally every stat line he destroys OEL this season, add to the fact Schdmidt's contract will end when he is 32, with OEL it's until 36.

In the end both gm's did their jobs.

Benning making an offer with the knowledge he has the upper hand with no other teams in the bidding for him. Boston might have backed out already.

Non bias opinion though although I think OEL is worth more then this, I think Armstrong might be screwed with the fact even if they want to circle back to another trade, it can't be done, like.... it can't be done even if it's a 7th round pick for him, since the Canucks have no cap room and they are stuck with just dealing with Boston.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
AZ should have taken the offer.

they should have actually, now if they try to trade him, it's even going to be a small offer.

Some people ignoring this like a boss or something, trying to sound smart ass and clever, calling Vancouver's offer (1st 2nd and garbage) like wtf man, they will get a lot less for OEL moving forward.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Yes but Edler is getting on in age and he probably isn’t a top 4 D much longer.

he just finished his best season with us, but you are right with him aging, but totally wrong int he regards he isn't a top 4 d much longer.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Yup. I can understand why they turned it down (if it is in fact true), but moving forward they will never get a better offer than that.

especially if our offer beats Bostons offer. They are handcuffed and moving forward if the revisit this OEL will probably just give him Boston and another team to trade with. It's just going to be 2 teams again.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
That was a poor offer from the Canucks but they had the leverage.
Virtanen isn't worth much at all as his cap hit would be over 3 million. Maybe a 4th round pick. Sutter would cost a 2nd just to get rid of.
So a 1st+4th for OEL isn't enough but getting good value in this climate won't be easy.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Would’ve hated that deal for the Canucks. The only way I could celebrate trading for OEL, even if a little, if it was at least a cap neutral trade or even better a cap saving trade where Canucks benefit from cap savings and AZ saves on term and money with some futures. Less than that and this deal puts the Canucks in a far worse place especially with future deals.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Will be interesting to see if OEL is still even a better player than Nate Schmidt at this point.

The fact that Schmidt plays the right side already makes him a better fit for the Canucks.

I feel horrible for OEL. He knows 100% his team wanted to trade him eventhough he is the Captain of the team. Even worse he has to stay in Zona where he hates the coach. I guess 57 million dollars can cheer him up.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This sounds like hogwash from a Yotes beat reporter, trying to salvage a situation. That's not a trade that works, cap-wise, or financially in cap dollars.

I'd wager the offer was something more like:

Eriksson @ $5M of actual cash outlay over the next two years of $6M "cap hit". ie $5M actual dollars buys $12M of cap hit.

+

Pick and a prospect they couldn't agree on.

Or potentially Ferland's contract going Arizona way, for his PCS retirement on the permanent LTIR.

The "couldn't agree on a prospect" is probably the "truth" in this game of "two lies and a truth".

Reactions: Aqualung

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Wait, Arizona turned all that down? Oh, Chayka isn't there anymore, so maybe they have someone smart instead.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Makes sense why Arizona declined. If they swapped the one of the picks for Podkolzin or Hoglander, I’d have done it as a Coyotes fan. Sounds like Bill Armstrong was on that same page.

I will bet you if a team was trying to trade you a player that had declining numbers over the last few years you would disagree . I know fans of Arizona blame the coach and as a Edmonton fan I can relate but with declining numbers and OEL contract there is a fair amount of risk for any team acquiring him .

As for the reports . Vancouver did the right thing . The team is headed in the right direction they shouldn’t be trading their young prospect for a question mark with OEL contract . I have to side with Vancouver fans on this . Keep in mind I don’t like the Canucks but that doesn’t mean I won’t be honest about a proposal that involves them .

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Personally I think OEL is the most overrated defenseman in the league. It could be that his team makes him look that way.
For his contract OEL appears to not have the value of this rumoured offer. Maybe the rumour isn’t complete, and the Canucks were insisting Arizona retained 2 million per on the OEL contract?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Canucks fans: we dodged a bullet
Everyone else: what a terrible offer, no wonder Arizona turned it down

I'm a "everyone else" guy and I'd say in this weird time of NHL, Arizona was insane not to accept that offer.

Ive always been a huge OEL fan but IMO Yotes will probably never get an offer like that for the remainder of his contract since it will be a flat cap for multiple years and once cap starts going up, he will be a few years older

But hey, atleast Yotes get to keep their captain and a unreal top dman!

Last edited:

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Canucks fans: we dodged a bullet
Everyone else: what a terrible offer, no wonder Arizona turned it down
Maybe educate yourself as to why it’s a bad offer for the Canucks at this time even if in a normal offseason that may not be adequate value for OEL before you condescend.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
As a Canucks fan I am glad that didn’t go through. With not having a first and second this year it would have hurt, plus I don’t think Sutter with one year has that much negative value. I think Virtanen is a decent piece and although he gets a lot of flack around these parts for not delivering on his draft position, he is still a useful player and was putting up respectable numbers. OEL is declining and isn’t worth that contract when compared to other DMan in the league IMO and when you see what people are getting traded for currently, your going to see that is value is maybe a second rounder in the current market, with that contract.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
An interesting thing about this offer is that it tells us a little bit about what Vancouver may be willing to offer to dump its contracts.

Stats suggest that OEL and Schmidt have been nearly equally effective the last few seasons.

That Vancouver was prepared to trade away a 1st, a 2nd, and Virtanen—in order to acquire OEL and dump Sutter’s contract.

They only ended up trading a 3rd for Schmidt. So let’s call that equivalent to that 2nd round pick in the OEL offer.

Subtract that, and it stands to reason that Vancouver was prepared to offer up as much as 1st round pick and Virtanen to dump a contract.

When we speculate about what Vancouver may be willing to offer to clear cap space this off-season—I think we should consider those assets as being on the table.

member 328930

they should have actually, now if they try to trade him, it's even going to be a small offer.

Some people ignoring this like a boss or something, trying to sound smart ass and clever, calling Vancouver's offer (1st 2nd and garbage) like wtf man, they will get a lot less for OEL moving forward.

100%. I suspect in another year or so AZ will have to pay a team to take him. I was astonished by the rumoured offer. Virtanen and Sutter alone is sufficient. Throwing a first in is ridiculous.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
100%. I suspect in another year or so AZ will have to pay a team to take him. I was astonished by the rumoured offer. Virtanen and Sutter alone is sufficient. Throwing a first in is ridiculous.
If OEL expands his list of teams, ARZ will easily get the same quality of offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad