Confirmed with Link: Canucks not going anywhere for Rookie Tournament in September.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Busy week for Benning.

Free Agency window to talk to UFA's and prospect development camp at same time.

June will be a fun month

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
meh, we wouldn't have much of group to send anyway.

Bingo. This gets the gold star. The Canucks have a shortage of prospects.

Benning's rationale for not following through with the earlier plan to play the Alberta teams: "We’d have more invitees than prospects,.. That’s because of many of our prospects playing in Europe or college."

Patrick Johnston: Canucks prospects no-games plan an outlier, or more penny pinching?

There is another possibility for a reason mentioned in that article of Patrick Johnston's cited above. There was a financial audit of operations last season and it could be that penny pinching has set in.

The validity or lack thereof of these reasons and the causes and consequences if either or both is valid seem to me to deserve discussion in a management thread, but there isn't one to post in these days.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wouldn't shock me if 'penny pinching' has something to do with it. After all, they've had zero playoff revenues for six of the last seven seasons. The 'sell-out streak' at Rogers Arena ended a long time ago, and in recent seasons it looks like they've been 'papering the house' for some games.

In terms of the salary cap, they're already in bottom third of the league. And didn't I read somewhere that the Canucks are operating with one of the thinnest hockey ops departments in the league? Might also be the reason why they won't be replacing Linden as team president.

Before our very eyes, the Canucks have morphed into another budget-conscious, 'small-market' NHL franchise.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Wouldn't shock me if 'penny pinching' has something to do with it. After all, they've had zero playoff revenues for six of the last seven seasons. The 'sell-out streak' at Rogers Arena ended a long time ago, and in recent seasons it looks like they've been 'papering the house' for some games.

In terms of the salary cap, they're already in bottom third of the league. And didn't I read somewhere that the Canucks are operating with one of the thinnest hockey ops departments in the league? Might also be the reason why they won't be replacing Linden as team president.

Before our very eyes, the Canucks have morphed into another budget-conscious, 'small-market' NHL franchise.
Hey, ice a crap team, employ incompetents to run it and try to gaslight the media and fans for five years about how great it really is? Eventually the fans stop buying what you're selling. What you get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad