Confirmed with Link: Canucks announce Abbotsford Canucks as AHL Farm Team

What should the team be called?

• Total voters

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
One would figure Ryan Johnson will be involved; and I think Chris Gear was involved in the running of the Comets? Robert Esche went out of his way to thank him in his statement.

Maybe he'll be different with Benning in his back yard, but Johnson was as worthless as teats on a boar hog in Utica. His biggest involvement was signing worthless guys to play in Kalamazoo to be used as replacements for injured and called up players when the roster had no more players to give. When they were coming in you knew it was over for the home team.

He was a JB boot licker and did nothing for the team he was supposed to be the GM of. Pat Conacher went out and found the best players in the ECHL when the Comets were going to be missing guys for lengthy periods of time. He had the connections and knew the GMs there. Otherwise did it for him or Benning pulled the strings and Johnson acted like he did it. He was always the guy who went to the media and announced any moves made by people other than himself. He always came forward to do such for any success the Comets had when he had nothing to do with it. Hell, early on he was the GM while living in Nashville! We never saw him anywhere near the team. That's when I gave him the nickname "Ghost Johnson".

The Comets only ever had one actual GM who ran things and did what was right for his team all season long. Lorne Henning. He built a highly successful winner in 2 seasons and was fired as his reward. Just maybe Aqua would have been better off hiring him as the Canucks GM rather than Jimbo.

Last edited:

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
So you're saying that a large company that employs accountants and contracts actuaries to predict revenues and expenses didn't even account for an inevitable increased cost associated with a major change in their long-term structure. Do you really think this belief is reasonable?
They're paying Loui 6M to do nothing.

Giving the AIG the doubt over the benefit is a slam dunk every single time.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I think some people are underestimating how crazy fans in the valley are for anything canucks related. The team will sell out every game. Especially if the big club gets a new GM who actually cares about the farm team.

You have fans and families in abbotsford, mission, Chilliwack etc that it just isn't affordable or practical to drive into Vancouver to see the Canucks that will invest themselves into the ahl team completely.

Great!

More fans for the Aquilinis to eventually screw over.

Because that's what shitty people always do.

They lie, they're petty, they go back on their word, they ghost you, they manipulate, they treat you like garbage during contract negotiation time and they're usually piss f***ing poor managers.

I wish I could be excited about this but 7 years of amateur hour bush league ownership meddling mismanagement has robbed me of all of my hockey enthusiasm.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
According to the AHL website, the league's Board of Governors has approved the relocation of the Canucks farm team to Abbotsford; and the shifting of the Devils AHL team to Utica in time for 2021-22 season.

So if next season starts on time in October, the new team om Abby has a ton of work to do. A team team; uniform design and season tickets/promotions, not to mention coming up with a schedule of games, travel etc.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
They're paying Loui 6M to do nothing.

Giving the AIG the doubt over the benefit is a slam dunk every single time.
No NHL organization, no matter how badly run, would considering moving an AHL affiliate without conducting a cost-benefit analysis. It's another case of deliberately suggesting something either unsubstantiated or obviously untrue that is unflattering to ownership or management because you're bored of repeating the numerous existing unflattering things they've actually done or probably would do.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
No NHL organization, no matter how badly run, would considering moving an AHL affiliate without conducting a cost-benefit analysis. It's another case of deliberately suggesting something either unsubstantiated or obviously untrue that is unflattering to ownership or management because you're bored of repeating the numerous existing unflattering things they've actually done or probably would do.
Untrue.

The Canucks organization has a track record of financial incompetence.

nnVgYIl.png

Financial incompetence in such a broad publicly viewable area 100% implies financial incompetence in other areas of the organization.

Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Why can’t they be the Comets still?
Despite the fact that the AHL team will be called the Utica Devils, Comets is an historical hockey name in the area.
So it's interesting that they've chosen to remain the Utica Comets when the whole reason this leaked out is because they had re-registered the Utica Devils trademark. :laugh:

Based on the press release, for the moment it seems they're also keeping the Comets' logo, which looks quite Canucky (if only because of the use of the Agency FB font that the Canucks inexplicably use).

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Untrue.

The Canucks organization has a track record of financial incompetence.

nnVgYIl.png

Financial incompetence in such a broad publicly viewable area 100% implies financial incompetence in other areas of the organization.
Just so we're clear, you're saying the fact that the team has spent irresponsibly on player contracts implies that they also did not factor in a significant and easily calculated shift in costs associated with a huge business decision despite employing accountants and actuaries whose function is to gather information about these costs and apply it to these decisions?

You're willfully holding a belief that doesn't make sense in order to support a general belief that is important to you. No team would move their affiliate without considering how it would change their costs and revenues. This is obvious, and admitting it is the case doesn't undermine the conclusion that management and ownership are incompetent.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So it's interesting that they've chosen to remain the Utica Comets when the whole reason this leaked out is because they had re-registered the Utica Devils trademark. :laugh:

Based on the press release, for the moment it seems they're also keeping the Comets' logo, which looks quite Canucky (if only because of the use of the Agency FB font that the Canucks inexplicably use).

I think the plan is to change the colour scheme. I'll be a red coloured comet shaped like a devil? :popcorn:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
UTICA COMETS SIGN 10-YR DEAL WITH NEW JERSEY DEVILS!
F*** YOU AQUA AND JIM BENNING

Forgive me Vancouver fans and p[osters, but I have had that feeling about those 2 for a good many years.

The posters on this site have nothing to do with that. Well, except the few bogus posters who have been outed working for the Canucks.

I have made many internet friends on this site and hope to maintain some connections.

I'm not through this year yet so don't treat me like I'm dead.

enjoy the devils.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Vancouver Sun is reporting that the Aquilini Investment Group will take over management and operating the Abbotsford Entertainment Center.

Obviously if it happens it would be game-changer. If the Canuck owners can maximize revenues from the building generated by other events and tenants...it means they could probably underwrite the operating and travel costs of their AHL hockey team indefinitely.

Not sure what's in it for the taxpayers of Abbotsford....but I guess we're about to find out.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
The Abbotsford Mennonites.

No slam or joke here, but this group has a strong representation and history in the area.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
The Abbotsford Mennonites.

No slam or joke here, but this group has a strong representation and history in the area.
Mennonites are pacifists who eschew any form of public entertainment, I can't really see them taking this without a fight.

On the other hand, the fact that Aquilini approved the signing of Loui Eriksson proves he is about to name the team the Abbotsford Mennonites.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->