Confirmed with Link: Canucks announce Abbotsford Canucks as AHL Farm Team

What should the team be called?

• Total voters

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Just realized this move probably means Eriksson is not going to retire. He’ll just come back for another year and not have to move even if he gets demoted to the AHL.

Ugh...demote him and skip the AHL, assign him straight to an ECHL affiliate.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
MORE GOOD NAME IDEAS

Abbotsford Nucks
Abbotsford B Liners
Abbotsford Wild Cats
Abbotsford GIANTS
Abbotsford Irrigationists
Abbotsford Mountain Lions
Abbotsford Bennings
Abbotsford Snakes
Abbotsford Aliens
Abbotsford Cougars

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Abbotsford Gravity hills.
Abbotsford Bacons.
Abbotsford Castle fun parks. (Wonderland if you're OG.)
Abbotsford Molson Lakes.
Abbotsford Seven Oaks Mall weird clock thing.

Reactions: Erub ot Ynligom

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Do the late Bruno Gerussi a solid and call them the Abbotsford Beachcombers.

2rfimf.png

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Now that both the Comets and Canucks have ended their seasons and for the most part the Canucks gave none of the Comets the tryouts you were all hoping for, I'm going top make my final assessment of those Canucks hopeful prospects.

I told you a couple weeks back that the only true glaring NHL prospect in Utica this season was Rathbone.
He was the best prospect to take the ice for the Comets in their existence. Does that make him a Canuck?
Nope, but he was the best of the best. Benning could simply trade him and that would leave Olli a sure spot. I wouldn't put it past him, but I am sounding vindictive.

Lind proved to me he is not an NHL player. I told you has to play top 6 and feed off the work of others. He can't succeed in the bottom 6.

MacEwen and Bailey are going to be in a fight to make the roster next season and if Bailey has a full recovery he is the better bet, but he would have to get re-signed. Mac was a Benning acquisition even though not drafted. Bailey was drafted by another organization. Both should be bottom 6 next season. cheap and will give you their all and the team isn't supposed to be ready for another 2 seasons anyways and these 2 on a cheap contract would be expendable in a year or 2 if they bhaven't improved enough to hold their spots.

Lockwood and Gadjovich got their shot at showing their stuff in their extended NHL tryouts-----NOT!!!

I predict Gadj, Lind, Jasek, one of Bailey/MacEwen, Focht, and Keppen will be in Abbotsford next season with Woo, Eliot, and Brisebois. Teves, Sautner, and Graovac are UFAs but I think they will try to keep them for the AHL team. Any players in house that they can hold onto saves them the trouble of having to go out hunting for AHL roster players and then having to negotiate contracts with them. DiPietro will, be the goalie backed up by Kielly/Silovs. I wouldn't even be shocked if Johnson were to convince Benning that AHL contracts for John Stevens and Vinnie Arseneau would be a reasonably good idea.

I'll keep track of the goings on and see how my predictions hold up. There is nary a prospect in the pipeline that will appear for the '21-22 season.

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
Abbotsford A-holes
Abbotsford Killerz
Abbotsford Christians
Abbotsford Puck in the Berries
Abbotsford Fun Palace
Abbotsford Panthers
Abbotsford Mill-Lakers
Abbotsford Cheap Gasers
Abbotsford Shitty in the Country

Reactions: Erub ot Ynligom

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Abbotsford Blue Berries legit has a cool ring to it.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is respect BG's opinion that Jack Rathbone is the best prospect who's ever suited up for the Comets.

But you can't sleep on Thatcher Demko, who spent a lot more time in Utica, and is already is having a much greater impact in the NHL. And I have a feeling that Mikey DiPietro, will eventually be another high-end NHL goalie.

It's just too bad the Canucks couldn't have drafted more impact position players for Utica......but with Markstrom, Demko and DiPietro, the Comets were something of a major goalie pipeline for the Canucks.

Reactions: Lemmiwinks

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Is respect BG's opinion that Jack Rathbone is the best prospect who's ever suited up for the Comets.

But you can't sleep on Thatcher Demko, who spent a lot more time in Utica, and is already is having a much greater impact in the NHL. And I have a feeling that Mikey DiPietro, will eventually be another high-end NHL goalie.

It's just too bad the Canucks couldn't have drafted more impact position players for Utica......but with Markstrom, Demko and DiPietro, the Comets were something of a major goalie pipeline for the Canucks.

Did you go back through my post history? I have stated that same observation on more than one occasion.

What I said about Rathbone excluded goalies. I was talking about the position prospects. I had already given the goalies their fair credit. In fact I had said besides the goalies, the Canucks never sent a prospect here that they intended to bring into the Vancouver fold in the first place. Those that did get there, and there were not many were eventually moved out or played down the roster and eventually became easily replaceable, Gaunce being the best example.

Rathbone just stood out like a sore thumb. He made youthful mistakes, but what he did right more than made up for them. What's more impressive, he didn't keep repeating those youthful errors. His IQ is off the map. He has great wheels and top shelf edges. He moves laterally from going forward without losing much speed. He has very accurate passing executed at speed and in traffic. His shot is NHL level and amazingly accurate for a kid so young. He is almost always in position and dealt with the net front better than almost any previous Comets D other than NHL, Stanley Cup D-Man Kent Huskins. He wasn't as physical as Kent but he tied up or denied pucks to net front opponents on a shift to shift basis. If this kid doesn't become a high level NHL D-man for many years, I will be surprised. The only answer as to why not would be to illustrate the poor talent level the rest of the Comets D-prospects possessed.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Now that both the Comets and Canucks have ended their seasons and for the most part the Canucks gave none of the Comets the tryouts you were all hoping for, I'm going top make my final assessment of those Canucks hopeful prospects.

I told you a couple weeks back that the only true glaring NHL prospect in Utica this season was Rathbone.
He was the best prospect to take the ice for the Comets in their existence. Does that make him a Canuck?
Nope, but he was the best of the best. Benning could simply trade him and that would leave Olli a sure spot. I wouldn't put it past him, but I am sounding vindictive.

Lind proved to me he is not an NHL player. I told you has to play top 6 and feed off the work of others. He can't succeed in the bottom 6.

MacEwen and Bailey are going to be in a fight to make the roster next season and if Bailey has a full recovery he is the better bet, but he would have to get re-signed. Mac was a Benning acquisition even though not drafted. Bailey was drafted by another organization. Both should be bottom 6 next season. cheap and will give you their all and the team isn't supposed to be ready for another 2 seasons anyways and these 2 on a cheap contract would be expendable in a year or 2 if they bhaven't improved enough to hold their spots.

Lockwood and Gadjovich got their shot at showing their stuff in their extended NHL tryouts-----NOT!!!

I predict Gadj, Lind, Jasek, one of Bailey/MacEwen, Focht, and Keppen will be in Abbotsford next season with Woo, Eliot, and Brisebois. Teves, Sautner, and Graovac are UFAs but I think they will try to keep them for the AHL team. Any players in house that they can hold onto saves them the trouble of having to go out hunting for AHL roster players and then having to negotiate contracts with them. DiPietro will, be the goalie backed up by Kielly/Silovs. I wouldn't even be shocked if Johnson were to convince Benning that AHL contracts for John Stevens and Vinnie Arseneau would be a reasonably good idea.

I'll keep track of the goings on and see how my predictions hold up. There is nary a prospect in the pipeline that will appear for the '21-22 season.

I thought Lind looked better in the NHL games he played than I expected based on his AHL play. It's possible he's gotten a little faster/stronger since, maybe a little more motivated by NHL competition. He was not only able to keep up, win his fair share of battles but also make some pretty skilled plays with limited time/space into tight windows which has always been his strength. I wouldn't be surprised actually if he made the team next year.

Reactions: Get North

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I'm just glad someone other then Jim is handling it. Can't put too much on his plate and expect success.

Reactions: mathonwy

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Utica was the base for the Vancouver Canucks yet the Blues ended up providing the Comets with 21 players during the season and the Canucks only 15. The Blues called guys up and found replacements for them. Vancouver called up 4 and replaced them with 1, Brisebois. He arrived with 11 games left, played 5 and was hurt for the last 6.

Johnson wore the title of GM. The Comets began the season with 10 Vancouver signed players. They re-signed John Stevens and Vincent Arseneau to AHL contracts. It would be the job of the GM to acquire players if the roster thinned out due to call-ups or injury. Vancouver sent Rathbone down when the Comets were down to 5 D and called him back up leaving them with 6 once again. Johnson never once in the entire season acquired a player to bolster the roster even when the team at one time played a game with the only 11 forwards they had and 5 days later did it again in their next game. The roster was short D all season with 6 often being the total and sometimes a whopping 7. The Forwards numbered 11, 12, or 13 on many occasions. Don't you think a normal GM would fix that? He did not and in previous seasons behaved in the same manner.

My congratulations to you on the retention of such a fine general manager for your newly located farm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad