Confirmed with Link: Canucks announce Abbotsford Canucks as AHL Farm Team

What should the team be called?

• Total voters

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
This is a great move for both the development of our players and fans

I think logistically it’s a good move. But I’ll echo what I said previously - the fans and the hockey culture in Utica were a terrific environment, and that community is so good and deserving of a strong affiliate. It the rumors are true and they are about to embark on a partnership with the Devils, best of luck to them.

And to the fans who provided us all with updates here - Bad Goalie and all the others - you guys are fantastic. Best of luck to your new squad.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Something around the Abbotsford Pilots would be interesting - especially if they could incorporate this fan mock-up into it somehow;

upload_2021-5-4_17-44-31.jpeg

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Has a blueberries joke been made yet

I want to be real for a second though, as much as this has been clamoured for for a long time, the AHL in the PNW doesn't work yet. Travel is going to be horrendous for the team and they will likely have to fly everywhere. It doesn't add up if Francesco is tightening the purse strings. Methinks this is a fast twitch reaction to losses during covid, thinking that the team will generate more revenue closer to the fan base, but the expenses are going to add up big time and it will have a serious impact on players with travel and practice time.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Honestly think Prescott Valley or SLC would've made way more sense given how far away Abbotsford is from any AHL team.

Its only for next season so that could very well be where they end up. I think part of the reason its in canada is because we dont know how the boarder is going to be next year

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This will improve the efficiency of callups but prospects will have fewer games and fewer practices and spend more time travelling.

Abbotsford was a dud as a market when the Flames were there but presumably there will be more interest in a Canuck farm team.

Very sad to see the end of Utica - terrific atmosphere there and excellent posters who have contributed a lot here.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Mixed feelings. It's nice to have an option to watch the farm team live. However I wonder how expensive ticket prices will be considering it is an Aqulini owned team and will probably be branded as a "Vancouver Canucks II" team.

Average ticket prices for AHL games is $35. Something tells me we will see prices ranging between $35 and $120.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Has a blueberries joke been made yet

I want to be real for a second though, as much as this has been clamoured for for a long time, the AHL in the PNW doesn't work yet. Travel is going to be horrendous for the team and they will likely have to fly everywhere. It doesn't add up if Francesco is tightening the purse strings. Methinks this is a fast twitch reaction to losses during covid, thinking that the team will generate more revenue closer to the fan base, but the expenses are going to add up big time and it will have a serious impact on players with travel and practice time.

Western AHL teams literally play 10 fewer games than everyone else because the travel is so horrible. It’s a pretty big deal.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Western AHL teams literally play 10 fewer games than everyone else because the travel is so horrible. It’s a pretty big deal.
It's always been a fun fantasy having a team down the road but just doesn't make sense in practice. Just screams very poor business planning and decision making on a number of fronts.

If anything comes out of it I hope that it changes the absolute disregard management has had for the farm team. Since Lorne Henning was fired absolutely f*** all has been done to bring in veterans and established players to support the team and create a winning environment for prospects to flourish in.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015

I think that will change with Seattle and now Our farm team being in that division. I think there are 7 teams now in Cali/AZ plus

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
excellent move. Coaching cross over. Local. Easy to move players. AHL games are mostly weekends, so plenty of weekday practice.
Should have been done from day one. Stupid having our farm on the east coast, especially in a place so difficult to get to and from.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Mixed feelings.

I'm very doubtful they've factored in travel costs for a team in Abbotsford when most of their games will be very far and not bus access.

I would go see games though if theyre decent prices and we have prospects to watch (we don't rn lol) and I am sad to lose Utica and especially the posters there giving excellent ahl coverage.

Reactions: mossey3535

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
I think logistically it’s a good move. But I’ll echo what I said previously - the fans and the hockey culture in Utica were a terrific environment, and that community is so good and deserving of a strong affiliate. It the rumors are true and they are about to embark on a partnership with the Devils, best of luck to them.

And to the fans who provided us all with updates here - Bad Goalie and all the others - you guys are fantastic. Best of luck to your new squad.

Does that mean Bad Goalie is leaving us :(

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad