Canucks Moving AHL Affiliate to Abbotsford, BC Next Season - Abbotsford Canucks

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Only cause the virus mess forced the AHL to make the alignment the way it is now.
no, tommy, it's always been that way, no matter how the alignment was.....

there are fundamental issues with the disconnect between the clubs, the fanbases and the League......

I'll concede the format for the All Star Classics.... where each club has to be represented.

now, the master schedules are an issue, whether you play 80, like the league used to do, or 76 currently, unless you're in the Pacific WHICH mandates 68,

the other fundamental issue is the archaic requirement that if a member club was granted an opt out, as Milwaukee, Charlotte, and Springfield were.... why should St. Louis, Nashville, and Florida be required or penalized twice because of the pandemic....was there really a need for prospect development drawbacks when each organization has their own philosophy in regards to that piece....

Reactions: MiamiHockey

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Only cause the virus mess forced the AHL to make the alignment the way it is now.

Not true. Most AHL franchises are now owned by an NHL team, and the NHL team owners see their AHL franchise solely as a means to develop their players. They want fans in the stands, but they care more about having their team in a good location where they can oversee and develop their prospects. Division alignments and playoff formats are meaningless in that equation.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I am curious what the name is, though we all knew it wasn't going to be Abbotsford Comets considering that's a rich name in Utica sports history. Also, I believe the name is what's going to make Utica and New Jersey last a long... time considering Devils has always been their AHL team name.

But they obviously can't call them the Abbotsford Heat or Abbotsford Bruins (homage to Chilliwack), but I would think a great name for them would be the Abbotsford Aviators, Abbotsford Orcas or Abbotsford Lumberjacks.

Reactions: Roadhog

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Don’t let anyone talk anyone into saying Boise is within driving distance of anywhere but Salt Lake City... ESPECIALLY by this board’s standards. I’ve done Boise to Vancouver in a day, but I’m the freak who did that less than 12 hours after returning from England.

You don't challenge the "expert".:sarcasm:

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
I am curious what the name is, though we all knew it wasn't going to be Abbotsford Comets considering that's a rich name in Utica sports history. Also, I believe the name is what's going to make Utica and New Jersey last a long... time considering Devils has always been their AHL team name.

But they obviously can't call them the Abbotsford Heat or Abbotsford Bruins (homage to Chilliwack), but I would think a great name for them would be the Abbotsford Aviators, Abbotsford Orcas or Abbotsford Lumberjacks.
I think it will be Aviators, owing to the Air Force heritage there. They're probably trying to come up with a logo and maybe a slightly colour scheme different from the Canucks.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
I think it will be Aviators, owing to the Air Force heritage there. They're probably trying to come up with a logo and maybe a slightly colour scheme different from the Canucks.

If that's where they go I would think that they will have to be careful in how they do it with regards to the logo due to Winnipeg and its fighter jet logo etc. I wonder if using any type of fighter jet or plane in general would be considered a copyright issue with the Jets.

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
If that's where they go I would think that they will have to be careful in how they do it with regards to the logo due to Winnipeg and its fighter jet logo etc. I wonder if using any type of fighter jet or plane in general would be considered a copyright issue with the Jets.
Yeah, that mock-up in post 21 looks too much like the Jets logo, but if they use anything that isn't a Spitfire (Hello, Windsor!!) I think they're good to go. Or maybe they should go with the HF Boards standard "Admirals".

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Yeah, that mock-up in post 21 looks too much like the Jets logo, but if they use anything that isn't a Spitfire (Hello, Windsor!!) I think they're good to go. Or maybe they should go with the HF Boards standard "Admirals".
Canucks is too closely identified, but they've done it before....

what you hope doesn't happen is another 'Firebirds' sidebar like Palm Desert.....

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Holding out for the “Cap’n Crunch gets a promotion” angle.

But a promotion to what? I actually liked the old Capt Crunch logo and even tolerated the next incarnation of it with the maroon jerseys...after that forget it...the davy jones logo is just stupid and the current one isn't much better... but is a step up from 'ol bonesy.

Reactions: Tommy Hawk

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
upload_2021-5-14_3-18-17.png
Since this team is based in Canada, maybe they should have a Dudley Do Right type logo on their crest.

Reactions: axecrew

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
I can't imagine AIG managing an Arena: As part of the agreement, the City of Abbotsford pays $750,000 a year to Aquilini Investment Group for managing and operating responsibility for the Abbotsford Centre as a multi-purpose entertainment and sports facility. Aquilini Investment Group will manage staffing, event bookings, ticketing and food and beverage management.

They couldn't even manage the on ice product in Utica.

Don't worry, though.

Johnson and Cull have that under control.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad