Speculation: Canucks looking for a Ferland replacement

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
The Canucks have been linked to Wayne Simmonds lately and they received terrible news this weekend that Ferland will be out the rest of the season with his continual battle with concussion.

There has also been a lot of emphasis lately on protecting the likes of Pettersson and Hughes as the games get more physical during this time of the season and of course in the playoffs.

Since Pettersson took a dirty late hit from Boston's Matt Gryzlyk that caused Pettersson to miss a game, the Canucks have been involed in a handful of fights from a result of the other team trying to be physical on their players. They are putting an emphasis on standing up for eachother and answering the bell.

It's quite obvious that they are on the hunt for a top 9 forward that is big and physical but can also play.

Who are some of these players available and what are their costs?

Players like Nick Ritchie and Austin Watson come to mind.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I would be unhappy with Canucks management if they spent valuable assets on bottom 6 forwards for any reason. The Canucks have too many bottom 6 wingers already, and while they may not have the tough guy skill set, it does not seem prudent to waste any equity on the one position the Canucks already have too many of.

Reactions: Canucks5551

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Goodrow could be your man. He’s rumoured to be available. I wouldn’t move him for anything less than an overpayment but he’s an amazing team guy who gives his all, hits, fights, and scores decently.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
I would be unhappy with Canucks management if they spent valuable assets on bottom 6 forwards for any reason. The Canucks have too many bottom 6 wingers already, and while they may not have the tough guy skill set, it does not seem prudent to waste any equity on the one position the Canucks already have too many of.

what would you consider valuable asset?

I'd be open to them getting this type of player for a draft pick (3rd or worse) and C level prospect.

I think this is a needed ingredient for the final push and for playoffs especially since the team is filled with skilled players like pettersson hughes boeser

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
what would you consider valuable asset?

I'd be open to them getting this type of player for a draft pick (3rd or worse) and C level prospect.

I think this is a needed ingredient for the final push and for playoffs especially since the team is filled with skilled players like pettersson hughes boeser
1 - The Canucks have traded away their 1 and 2 this year so to trade their 3 would mean they wouldn't have a pick in the top 100+ picks in the draft.
2 - The Canucks are up against the cap so a bottom 6 add such as Simmonds would require us to move salary out and I have no interest in adding an asset for another team to take on bad money.
3 - The Canucks are currently paying Eriksson $6, Sutter $4.375, Beagle $3, Roussel $3, Ferland $3.5, Leivo $1.5 (Currently LTIR), Baertschi $3.36 (Currently in the AHL) - adding additional $$ to that rag tag group of overpaid 4th liners would be a negative
4 - The game has changed and yes I understand the idea of getting bigger for the playoff grind, but teams don't need that pure fighter anymore. McEwen, Benn and Virtanen should be able to step up if the need arises.

So unless the other team is taking one of our bottom 6 forwards in exchange 1 for 1 - I wouldn't be trading for grit if I was the Canucks.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
upload_2020-2-18_10-51-10.jpeg

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Brock McGinn is a Ferland lite type player. Can score 15 g while hitting the post every game. Can PK and play up and down the lineup. Could be had for a 3rd rounder and has a reasonable contract.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
What the f is Vancouver doing, they are not ready to contend. Save the pieces until the team improves.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
What the f is Vancouver doing, they are not ready to contend. Save the pieces until the team improves.

Franceso Aquilini has already had his patience tested waiting 4 years for that sweet sweet playoff revenue. I would imagine he’s putting the heat on Benning to make it in.

I fully agree with what you’re saying, but Benning is almost definitely feeling the heat to make a step forward.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I could see the Oilers doing that trade. Both players needs a change of a scenery.
Goldy is in the A and doesn't cost the Canucks anything against the cap - Khaira is more expensive and wouldn't play over our current bottom 6. Khaira is not a player the Canucks should want.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Okay what if they add Lundeström and Vancouver adds accordingly?
The Canucks management has basically made their bed and its playoffs or bust. We can't trade our young cost controlled #3C + whatever the add would need to be for another winger and futures. Gaudette is also a C which carries more value than a winger and in 50 games in his first full season in the NHL he's already basically at Ritchie's career high. Lundstrom is a recent 1st rounder but he looks to be a few years away from being an NHL contributor. I don't see any appetite for the Canucks to move Gaudette.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->