Pre-Game Talk: Canucks @ Leafs - January 5th - 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
I have little to no confidence in this team right now.

On HNIC, on Saturday night, the Canucks will come out flying being that they're in the spotlight against our Leafs. There are just too many opposing players that play away above their pay grades against our Leafs on the big stage at the SBA. Our Leafs need to bring more to counteract their exuberance.

Is there some kind of unwritten rule that our Leafs have to always play down to inferior opponents?

Until our Leafs start dominating mediocre teams, in our own barn, I have very little hope for a long playoff run at all.

One would think that you should be more concerned if they couldn't dominate teams that they will play in the playoffs while at home.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
We need to go on a long winning streak as Tampa is just running away without any competition (hope Tampa can lose few games in a row), just to make it interesting

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
We need to go on a long winning streak as Tampa is just running away without any competition (hope Tampa can lose few games in a row), just to make it interesting

We had like a 5-0-1 stretch where we didn't even gain a point on them lol, goofy season they're having

Reactions: Burnie97

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Tampa is on another level - they'll have to have a good solid unforeseen slump to be caught. Not that they couldn't be beat in a 7 game series, but it seems like they can just coast to the Presidents trophy.

I'll gladly take home ice in the first round though. Especially if it's against Boston - we saw how they intimated the Leafs in the first couple of games last year. Home ice for the Leafs would help negate that.

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
We twinning nashville monday with andy andersen with big fire baby! Cause GOT THAT fire fire baby!! Just like juve said!

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Let's just hope the team realizes they need to bring a strong effort. Can't just coast on their skill.

Be nice as well if they can figure out their PP. They've got enough talent, but need to adjust since it just isn't working right now.

Reactions: Burnie97

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

The playoff race and positioning in the east is going to be a battle.

Other than Tampa there are no locks.
If you told me any one of:
Pitt
Wash
CBJ
NYI
Tor
Bos
Mtl
Buff ....didn’t make the playoffs , I could believe it.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
They need to win a draft lottery to be good. Peterssen isn't the end all solution. Good teams have 3 or 4 Petey caliber players. This is a concept they can not grasp and continue to make rushed decisions.

Oh well. I wish they would have a better team so that it makes hockey more enjoyable in Vancouver!

They need a lot more than that.

Dim Jim needs to go. His drafting has been alright, let's say a B, his trades have also been about a B (even the Gudbranson trade doesn't look bad since Guds is a mean third pair RD, and thats more valuable than a below average third line C like McCann, and Florida traded the second), but the contracts he hands out, he must be aware of the salary cap but he doesn't have a clue how it works.

Eriksson: 6
Sutter: 4.375
Gudbranson: 4
Baertschi: 3.36
Roussel + Beagle: 6 combined for four years.

Statline for those players is 121-17-24-41.

F-

Bring in someone who can take an axe to that roster, because a non contender shouldn't have 24 tied up in five depth pieces, and someone who can tell the Aquillini family to stay in their lane.

With respect to their players, Petersson looks like he can be a perennial all star number one center (Ala Seguin), Horvat looks like a responsible two way plugger with good to great offense (Ala RoR), and Boeser as stated is a one dimensional winger who does that dimension at a top 0.1% level (Ala Kessel). Goldobin is also producing well, could be something there.

Virtanen is okay and I'd take him on the Leafs but I bet Willy still outproduces him this year.

They still need at least a Willy-level winger which while good Goldobin is not, and they still need much more from their depth players.

On D I'm not at all sold on Hughes and Juolevi becoming elite guys, maybe they max at a Spurgeon and an Edler respectively, and even if by some voodoo Quinton Hughes becomes Erik Karlsson, he's still carrying a D with Hutton, Stecher, Gudbranson, old man Edler and Tanev the glass man, they need a true number one horse; Pietrangelo would help them immensely, perhaps more than any other team, but I just don't see Pietrangelo waiving to go from a bad team to a bad team.

They also need a goalie. Demko looks good, but goalies are no guarantee.

I think they need a change in management and at least:

- Two more top five picks, hit on both.
- Demko and another guy in the system to hit.
- To ship out some of that garbage (Eriksson for a start).

They're actually not in that bad of a place, but they've got two or three more rebuild years.

Last edited:

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Nucks fan base is the worst in hockey. Zero banners brings a smile to my face. Having said that, I enjoy both Boeser and Pettersson. Great young players.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
No Elias will help us for sure.

The guys just need to be smarter as a team and communicate in the D zone. If they do this they should be fine as long as the goals keep coming.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Would be great to get 2 points as Boston and Buffalo are playing each other. One of them is guaranteed to make up ground on us if we don't get the full 2 points.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
Canucks have been shut out in 2 of their last 3 games and lost their only offencive powerhouse in Petterson, so if we can't outscore them, we deserve to lose (touch wood).

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
While I feel bad for Pettersson and would never wish injury upon him, it is nice that we won't be hearing Hughson nutting himself to him on air. Boeser will probably still score on us though

Oh don't worry... even without him in the game he'll bring him up.

Especially if the Canucks are losing. He'll throw out the ol... Well if petey was in you wonder what the game would look like. . Etc etc... insert another bullshit line.

As you can probably tell... can't stand Hughson . It's beyond obvious his bias against the Leafs. Id rather pretty much anyone than listening to him on Saturday nights.

Reactions: 1specter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->