Pre-Game Talk: Canucks @ Leafs - January 5th - 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
With Hutch in net it is a 50/50 bet at best for win. That said Canucks are weak so we could win 7-4. Count on 4 goals for Canucks.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
With Hutch in net, same with Sparks, only chance to win is to try and run up the score.
I think they'll win this one, take the over.

canadon

Jun 25, 2015
Vaughan, ON
Real tough stretch coming vs. Nashville, Boston, Colorado and Tampa (with the Devils mixed in there).

Winning this would be nice.
Leafs tend to play better against the tougher opponents... but you are right, it's important to snap the losing streak and get confidence back before the tough stretch.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Leafs tend to play better against the tougher opponents... but you are right, it's important to snap the losing streak and get confidence back before the tough stretch.

I don't think the Leafs have lost confidence.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I wonder if Marincin gets a run tomorrow?

I haven't loved the guy over his time here but I think he should definitely be in the lineup going forward, if nothing else the guy at least knows how to defend when it's required

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I have little to no confidence in this team right now.

On HNIC, on Saturday night, the Canucks will come out flying being that they're in the spotlight against our Leafs. There are just too many opposing players that play away above their pay grades against our Leafs on the big stage at the SBA. Our Leafs need to bring more to counteract their exuberance.

Is there some kind of unwritten rule that our Leafs have to always play down to inferior opponents?

Until our Leafs start dominating mediocre teams, in our own barn, I have very little hope for a long playoff run at all.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
have the leafs lost 3 in a row yet this season?

At least weve been good at not letting a losing streak get out of hand, and i think that continues tomorrow

Nope...worst strecth was 4 loses in 5 games, lost 2 won 1 then lost 2 more. But we haven't lost 3 in a row yet.

member 262271

Punjabi feed here I come. I'll be so pissed if they lose this game.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I have little to no confidence in this team right now.

On HNIC, on Saturday night, the Canucks will come out flying being that they're in the spotlight against our Leafs. There are just too many opposing players that play away above their pay grades against our Leafs on the big stage at the SBA. Our Leafs need to bring more to counteract their exuberance.

Is there some kind of unwritten rule that our Leafs have to always play down to inferior opponents?

Until our Leafs start dominating mediocre teams, in our own barn, I have very little hope for a long playoff run at all.

Saturday Game:

L vs. Sens 3-5
W @ Caps 4-2
L vs. Blues 1-4
W vs. Jets 3-2
W @ Pens 5-0
L @ Bruins 1-5
W vs. Flyers 6-0
W @ Wild 5-3
L @ Bruins 3-6
OTL @ Panthers 3-4
W vs. Rangers 5-3
L vs. Isles 0-4

So mediocre teams at home on Saturday 2-3. Not a great record, but they did smoke the Flyers and handled the Rangers well. It's just the recent Isles game and recent play that has people worried.

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
I'll be at this game! My first game in something like 4/5 years, lol. Last game I was at the Leafs top line was JVR-Bozak-Kessel and they were playing against Jagr and Brodeur. A lot has changed since then..

Hopefully the guys put on a show and snap this two game skid.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
I live in Vancouver. There are 2 games a year we can not lose. This is the first of them!

Canucks fans are the worst of the Canadian teams and they hate us the most (I don't know why)

I hate that team the most, they also think Leafs fans are the worst so whatever.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I live in Vancouver. There are 2 games a year we can not lose. This is the first of them!

Canucks fans are the worst of the Canadian teams and they hate us the most (I don't know why)

I'm beginning more and more to think that the hockey gods have been unkind to the Canucks and it largely stems from the two riots that happened after they lost the cups against the Rangers and Boston and maybe a little from the Bertuzzi incident.

The endless hubris, the smug and unearned sense of arrogance and superiority the team and fanbase at times have exhibited also factors.

Last year it was Boeser > Matthews. Boeser then missed a lot of time to injury and this year he looks merely 'okay', 31-14-14-28, moar injuries and slightly more than half as many points as Mitch Marner. Matthews is a franchise center, while Boeser is great but he's more of a Kessel; you're in a great place if he's your 3rd or 4th best player but if he's your best or 2nd best player you're in trouble.

This year it was Petersson > injury prone Matthews...and well now. I think it was definitely a dirty and unnecessary play, but I'm looking at it and thinking the most I'd do is give Kotka a $2500 fine. You'd think Kotka took off his skate and tried to stab Petterson as described by Canucks fans, it's like 25% dirty 75% bad luck. Pets does, however look like he will be a transformative, franchise player, but I think more along the lines of a Barzal than a Matthews (he's shooting like 28%, that won't hold).

They're out baying for blood and saying some vile things. I guarantee you that whichever benevolent force that balances the universe sees posts saying that Gudbranson should board Kotka, or Kotka deserves a 30 game suspension for a play that 99 times out of 100 ends with no injuries, are looking and saying 'yeah, I want those guys to get some bounces!'

Notice they've also been in favorable position to win the draft lottery, yet have picked 5th twice and 7th once in the last few years.

Players picked immediately after and around their picks have left them in the dust - Nylander and Ehlers to Virtanen, Tkachuk to Juolevi (though Petersson was a good strike as was Boeser at 23rd overall).

I don't like Boston, but ladies and gentlemen, they did the universe a tremendous service in 2011 - could you imagine?

If they beat us, I'll be disappointed but I'll wake up the next day and we're still #2-3 in the standings.

If we beat them by a goal or two, it'll be 'we win this game or get a point with Petersson in the lineup', because a victory over a team missing its best player is only 1.5 points with 0.5 to the losing team.

Only a 7-2 or 5-1 waxing, ideally with a 2 goal 1 assist night from Willy, will suffice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al14

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
I'm beginning more and more to think that the hockey gods have been unkind to the Canucks and it largely stems from the two riots that happened after they lost the cups against the Rangers and Boston and maybe a little from the Bertuzzi incident.

Notice they've also been in favorable position to win the draft lottery, yet have picked 5th twice and 7th once in the last few years.

Only a 7-2 or 5-1 waxing, ideally with a 2 goal 1 assist night from Willy, will suffice.

They need to win a draft lottery to be good. Peterssen isn't the end all solution. Good teams have 3 or 4 Petey caliber players. This is a concept they can not grasp and continue to make rushed decisions.

Oh well. I wish they would have a better team so that it makes hockey more enjoyable in Vancouver!

Reactions: The Man with a Plan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->