Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
hnic-vancouver-at-toronto-van-tor.jpg

Canucks at Maple Leafs game day
Terry KoshanMore from Terry Koshan
Canucks at Maple Leafs game day

VANCOUVER CANUCKS (20-20-4) at TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (26-12-2)
7 p.m., Scotiabank Arena, CBC, The Fan 590
BIG MATCHUP
Jacob Markstrom vs. Michael Hutchinson
Where the Maple Leafs are on a learning curve with Michael Hutchinson, not so with the Canucks and Jacob Markstrom. The latter has been sharp in net for the past month, registering a save percentage below .925 in just two of his 10 games. Only once did Markstrom, who is 1-2-1 with a .917 save percentage against the Leafs in five career games, give up more than two goals over that span. Hutchinson, meanwhile, is 3-1-0 versus Vancouver in his career, with a 1.77 goals-against average and a .935 save percentage.
FIVE KEYS TO THE GAME
1. Back the backup
Against the Minnesota Wild on Thursday, the Maple Leafs, especially early in the game, figured Hutchinson could handle himself just fine and often were poor in the defensive zone. Toronto was better as the game progressed, but having the proper effort through a full 60 minutes would make coach Mike Babcock a happier man. Vancouver will be looking to end a six-game trip well (they’re 3-2-0), while the Leafs will try to avoid losing three in row for the first time this season.
2. Depth charges
The Leafs pride themselves on depth, even with Zach Hyman and Tyler Ennis out, and it’s an area that could see them through Saturday night. With leading scorer Elias Pettersson nursing an injury, the Canucks have just three forwards — Bo Horvat, Brock Boeser and Nikolay Goldobin (who has been a healthy scratch) — with more than 18 points. The Leafs have six. Among those, though, is Nazem Kadri, who has just nine goals in 40 games and only two in his past 22. In 10 career games against Vancouver, Kadri has one goal and one assist.
3. Matthews matters
Now that William Nylander finally has found the back of the net, how about linemate Auston Matthews? Going under the radar to an extent in the past little while has been Matthews’ dry spell, as the Leafs all-star hasn’t scored in the past five games. Matthews has played in 26 games this season, and that drought matches his high for 2018-19. Still, he remains dangerous with 10 shots on goal in his past two games, and the Canucks will have to make him a priority each time he takes a shift, whether at even-strength or on the power play.
4. Life of Rielly
For the first time this season, Leafs defenceman Morgan Rielly has gone three games without a point. Against the Canucks, there is some added boost, as Rielly grew up in West Vancouver and returns to the area in the off-season. “We tend to play them on Hockey Night (In Canada), so there is always lots of energy,” Rielly said. “For me personally, playing against them is fun always, from growing up in Vancouver, so it’s exciting. Big points on the line.” Oddly, the Canucks are one of six NHL teams Rielly hasn’t scored against.
5. No kidding, Elias
Count Babcock as a big fan of excellent Canucks rookie Pettersson, and though the Leafs would love the challenge of trying to stop the 20-year-old, that will have to wait as Pettersson has suffered a right knee injury. His absence will be a large hole for the Canucks, and Babcock knows what Vancouver will be missing. “He’s smarter than everybody else so he can stand still and create space,” Babcock said. “You can say lots of things about him. He has the puck the whole time.”
MAPLE LEAFS’ LINES
LW-C-RW
Andreas Johnsson-Auston Matthews-William Nylander
Connor Brown-John Tavares-Mitch Marner
Patrick Marleau-Nazem Kadri-Kasperi Kapanen
Par Lindholm-Frederik Gauthier-Trevor Moore
Defence pairs
Morgan Rielly-Ron Hainsey
Jake Gardiner-Nikita Zaitsev
Travis Dermott-Igor Ozhiganov
Goaltenders
Michael Hutchinson
To be determined
CANUCKS LINES
LW-C-RW
Sven Baertschi-To be determined-Brock Boeser
Antoine Roussel-Bo Horvat-Loui Eriksson
Markus Granlund-Brandon Sutter-Jake Virtanen
Tim Schaller-Jay Beagle-Tyler Motte
Defence pairs
Alexander Edler-Chris Tanev
Ben Hutton-Erik Gudbranson
Michael Del Zotto-Troy Stecher
Goaltenders
Jacob Markstrom
Thatcher Demko
INJURIES
Canucks — C Elias Pettersson (knee), LW Josh Leivo (back).
Maple Leafs — LW Zach Hyman (ankle), F Tyler Ennis (ankle), G Garret Sparks (concussion), G Frederik Andersen (groin).
SPECIAL TEAMS
Power play
Canucks: 17.9% (20th)
Maple Leafs: 22.9% (9th)
Penalty kill
Canucks: 78% (20th)
Maple Leafs: 79.8% (16th)

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
We kinda need a blow out win to get us back into a groove. The boys need something to feel good about.. the wild game looked to be going that way, and just fell flat.

PP unit needs to get clicking.

Keep the shots against low, or at least less danger.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
We kinda need a blow out win to get us back into a groove. The boys need something to feel good about.. the wild game looked to be going that way, and just fell flat.

PP unit needs to get clicking.

Keep the shots against low, or at least less danger.

I'll take a solid defensive win from them tonight. It's been awhile since we've seen one of those. That being said, no reason to not have both.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I'm feeling a big win tonight. They need it too. Let's get back in the win column and go on a nice little streak.

If Leafs want to win a cup this year... the next 5 games or so against some solid opponents should get you fired up.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nucks playing without their best player is something the Leafs will hopefully exploit to their adavantage..

That kid is unreal and take it from someone who lives out here in BC that you can't flip on the TV and not have every local station in the Province singing his praises and showing his highlights 24/7.

Without Pettersson, our Leafs should cruise to a fairly easy victory and win by 4 or more goals, or at least that is how I hope the game script goes as the 2 teams I dislike the most are Nucks and Habs and losing to either spoils my entire weekend when they games are also HNIC.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Nucks playing without their best player is something the Leafs will hopefully exploit to their adavantage..

That kid is unreal and take it from someone who lives out here in BC that you can't flip on the TV and not have every local station in the Province singing his praises and showing his highlights 24/7.

Without Pettersson, our Leafs should cruise to a fairly easy victory and win by 4 or more goals, or at least that is how I hope the game script goes as the 2 teams I dislike the most are Nucks and Habs and losing to either spoils my entire weekend when they games are also HNIC.

I get they are missing Petterson, but you failed to mention we are missing a Vezina candidate.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Why is the WHJC gold medal game played on a Saturday night? Did TSN hope for a Canada USA final that would outdraw HNIC?

My DVR will get workout tonight....

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Morning skate lines for the #Canucks in Toronto:

Roussel-Horvat-Eriksson
Baertschi-Granlund-Virtanen
Goldobin-Sutter-Boeser
Schaller-Beagle-Motte

I mean i know i shouldn't say it....but come on, if the Leafs can't win this one...ooof.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015

You live out West as well eh? Whereabouts? I'm right in the city.

I get they are missing Petterson, but you failed to mention we are missing a Vezina candidate.

They're a playoff bubble team without their star player. The leafs could go down 3 star players and still look alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad