GDT: Canucks @ Leafs - 7pm - another day, another win part two

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I agree with you about the presumption of innocence and the importance of that. But in terms of courts figuring things out, I think it's important to keep in mind the very high burden of proof on the prosecution (beyond a reasonable doubt) and the evidentiary issues (what evidence is admissible, what evidence is left after so long). A not guilty verdict is not a declaration of innocence, but merely stating that the prosecution has not proved its case beyond a reasonable doubt.

This is of course intentional; there's a maxim that it is better to let 10 guilty people free than to incarcerate 1 innocent person. But what that also means is that courts don't really figure out what transpired, but determine whether the prosecution has proved its case beyond a reasonable doubt.

Agreed! not to take the GDT off course (and I will stop with this post on this topic); he was 20 when this happened, apparently she travelled with him to the hotel. Unless he completely turned into a super villian master mind once inside after being a superman boy scout for most of the time I am not sure.... You want to be seen with a popular dude, wanna brag about it to your friends and be "cool" and now all of a sudden the dude is Sith lord Palpatine :laugh:

It doesn't pass the smell test. Not saying that he didn't turn out to be Sith Lord Palpatine in the end LOL - hey may be that is exactly what happened and then he should be disciplined by the law accordingly. it just seems to not pass the smell test - he was young, not some old dude rich billionaire taking advantage of the situation. If Alcohol was involved well....

The dude is getting absolutely killed on twitter which I think is unfair. If I go out on a date and then invite someone the next time home for a meal, I cook and clean and then we eat dinner and later I am told I misbehaved when I didn't --- How do I even prove that I didn't misbehave? while I am already being considered "guilty"? I am just glad I am not rich and famous and I never had to deal with this stuff.

Just look at the Matthews "underpants" mooning incidence for that matter..... The person did not officially file the complaint until they found out that Matthews is rich and famous - obviously that is not how the story was told in the media

Anyway.... back to hockey! :)

P.S. #FreeLiljegren

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I agree it was a mismatch but I think that was made-up for by Simmonds letting up after getting in a couple punches. Simmonds recognized the mismatch and just let him go.

Think too much is being made of this, but yea, I agree with Bieksa, too.

It was preferable to get it over with early, for all involved. Imagine being Edler and skating around through two periods concerned there might be some far more dangerous retribution in the form of a suspendable hit or the like?

Better to just face the music and move on. The game was played cleanly afterwards and it is settled now.

I recall, hopefully correctly (memory can only hold so much) that Claude Lemieux lined up against McCarthy the season after his reckless hit against Draper. Claude asked to start against McCarthy knowing what was going to occur. His coach (Marc Crawford?) told him "you don't need to do this" and Claude replied "yes I do".

He turtled that fight, but took his medicine. Many players from both teams had fights over the next couple of seasons because the Avs and Red Wings hated each other immensely, they were bitter rivals for the Cup, and, it was a different era. However, the players generally settled their issues with one another, rightfully or wrongly.

I'm no fan of mindless fighting. There are situations however, where teammates standing up for one another sends a message to the other team and each other. "We have each others backs". This Leafs team hasn't had enough of this of late, it definitely has value when battling for the same goal.

Reactions: saffronleaf

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
If Campbell ever lead the Leafs to a Cup, you can safely predict an exponential increase in the value of his card in the next Beckett guide.

As a leaf fan it would be very hard to part with his card if he helped win us a cup, but as they say, there's a price for everything lol.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I think Spezza should have fought him next time he was on the ice then Thornton right after that. Would have been great to see all the old guys beat the punk up

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
It was preferable to get it over with early, for all involved. Imagine being Edler and skating around through two periods concerned there might be some far more dangerous retribution in the form of a suspendable hit or the like?

Better to just face the music and move on. The game was played cleanly afterwards and it is settled now.

I recall, hopefully correctly (memory can only hold so much) that Claude Lemieux lined up against McCarthy the season after his reckless hit against Draper. Claude asked to start against McCarthy knowing what was going to occur. His coach (Marc Crawford?) told him "you don't need to do this" and Claude replied "yes I do".

He turtled that fight, but took his medicine. Many players from both teams had fights over the next couple of seasons because the Avs and Red Wings hated each other immensely, they were bitter rivals for the Cup, and, it was a different era. However, the players generally settled their issues with one another, rightfully or wrongly.

I'm no fan of mindless fighting. There are situations however, where teammates standing up for one another sends a message to the other team and each other. "We have each others backs". This Leafs team hasn't had enough of this of late, it definitely has value when battling for the same goal.

Agreed.

And those Avs - Wings series are some of my earliest and favorite hockey memories. Those were super teams.

But lol idk if Lemieux really took his medicine the way he turtled, it was a bit embarrassing. Edler did better.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Agreed! not to take the GDT off course (and I will stop with this post on this topic); he was 20 when this happened, apparently she travelled with him to the hotel. Unless he completely turned into a super villian master mind once inside after being a superman boy scout for most of the time I am not sure.... You want to be seen with a popular dude, wanna brag about it to your friends and be "cool" and now all of a sudden the dude is Sith lord Palpatine :laugh:

It doesn't pass the smell test. Not saying that he didn't turn out to be Sith Lord Palpatine in the end LOL - hey may be that is exactly what happened and then he should be disciplined by the law accordingly. it just seems to not pass the smell test - he was young, not some old dude rich billionaire taking advantage of the situation. If Alcohol was involved well....

The dude is getting absolutely killed on twitter which I think is unfair. If I go out on a date and then invite someone the next time home for a meal, I cook and clean and then we eat dinner and later I am told I misbehaved when I didn't --- How do I even prove that I didn't misbehave? while I am already being considered "guilty"? I am just glad I am not rich and famous and I never had to deal with this stuff.

Just look at the Matthews "underpants" mooning incidence for that matter..... The person did not officially file the complaint until they found out that Matthews is rich and famous - obviously that is not how the story was told in the media

Anyway.... back to hockey! :)

P.S. #FreeLiljegren

I really dislike the 'court of public opinion' stuff on social media in either direction. I don't know anything about this situation, so anything at that point is just speculation. I think the Canucks are doing the right thing by taking it seriously and looking into it.

Agreed, back to hockey and #FreeLiljegren!

On-the-Fly

Feb 6, 2007
Wouldnt mind seeing 77 and 19 hook up on a few more plays tonight.

Making a strong case for game 1 line 4 duties.

WilyStyless03SHYla

aimiriteee
Apr 26, 2021
please. what a god damn joke. at least I'm mentally tough, cause most people wouldn't have went through all this, but working with covid for the past 7 months or so gives me a different perspective ctive. All I did was listen to music/podcasts and learn about covid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad