Rumor: Canucks interested in Vatanen, Hamonic, and Gustafsson

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Vatanen is by far the best of the three without a doubt.
Ask any Devils or Ducks fan about him .
Not the biggest guy but he is good offensively and better defensively than what people say .
Only knock is that he’s very very injury prone. If we’re talking FAs with no trades I take Vatanen and Gustafsson. He’s only a few years removed from scoring nearly 60 points...

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
Only knock is that he’s very very injury prone. If we’re talking FAs with no trades I take Vatanen and Gustafsson. He’s only a few years removed from scoring nearly 60 points...

Vatanen's main injury concern is his concussion history. He was steamrolled first by Kucherov and then by Brassard within a 9-month period in 2018-19. It took a fair while for him to get his play back together after that, but I would argue he's been back to 100% throughout 2020 already. Still, a third concussion could be a setback. The much talked about injury this year pre Canes trade was lower body from blocking a shot, which could happen to anyone so not much of a concern in itself. Finally, back when still with Ducks he had a shoulder issue that required surgery, which took the sting out of his slapper for quite some time. But again, eye test suggests he's by now well over that as well. So concussions it is, which is hardly surprising considering his physical stature and feisty style of play, but a consideration regardless.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Wow, does benning never learn, his FA-signings is ruining is ability to make the right signings (I do think Holtby was the correct move)

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Hamonic and Gustaffson would both be fine additions, depending on the price.

Hamonic something like 3x3 would be alright
Gustaffson, 2x2

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Justin Schultz got 4mil from Washington and I don’t believe he’s better then Vatanen or Hamonic.

Don't know much about Schultz but Hamonic is not a top 4 dman anymore. Paying him 4M is a massive mistake

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Wow, does benning never learn, his FA-signings is ruining is ability to make the right signings (I do think Holtby was the correct move)
Isn't he kinda doing the opposite this season? Letting older guys leave on long term deals was the right call with Tanev and Markstrom. If he get's Vatanen on a good deal to replace Stecher, how can anyone complain about that?

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Very weird. One of your Canucks buddies on here was trashing edmonton while flexing that vancouver is a top FA destination. Hilarious how this all goes. :skull:
They are compared to most places, they just don’t have cap to sign anyone :laugh:

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Isn't he kinda doing the opposite this season? Letting older guys leave on long term deals was the right call with Tanev and Markstrom. If he get's Vatanen on a good deal to replace Stecher, how can anyone complain about that?
Well, Canucks wanted to Keep Tofoli, but Rousell, Ferland, Beagle, Myers, Eriksson etc keeps adding up.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Well, Canucks wanted to Keep Tofoli, but Rousell, Ferland, Beagle, Myers, Eriksson etc keeps adding up.
They still might keep Toffoli. If not, I am certain they will get a suitable replacement. It’s a long off season.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I guess I am in the minority as I think that Vatanen would be a great addition.

Gustafsson I had been eyeing up as a value option, but I don't think they should sign him AND Vatanen.

Hamonic is probably the least enticing option. I'm not convinced he is a huge upgrade over Benn, but I think they need to throw someone who can eat bottom pairing minutes successfully, as I don't think any of Juolevi/Rafferty/Rathbone should be playing more than 40 games.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
None of the listed players interest me... sure if you sign one at very cheap to fill our #6 D spot. However, none of them will vastly improve our D-core YOY.

Last edited:

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Well if VGK was any indication, why wouldn’t the Kraken take a Shane Wright 1st round pick from you guys to take that contract off your hands? You guys are clearly headed in that direction now and benning clearly doesn’t know wtf he’s doing.
You sound like it’s a 6x6 contract, it’s 2 years and he gets to work with one of the leagues best goalie coaches.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
You sound like it’s a 6x6 contract, it’s 2 years and he gets to work with one of the leagues best goalie coaches.
Ok but it is still an albatross of a contract especially when compared to Holtby’s performance art on the ice since his cup. He’s not good and theres a hood tax for taking a horrible contract like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->