Rumor: Canucks interested in Slater Koekkoek and Jayce Hawrlyuk

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The prime of his career is still "meh". He can skate, and that's about it. Not particularly difficult to play against, nor is he anything special with the puck.
He's a bottom pairing dman. If he wasn't "meh" he'd be a top 4 dman.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I liked Jayce in Ottawa. Definitely a limited player, not too broken up over the fact that he wasnt QO'd, but he should be able to provide value as a bottom 6er/extra fwd. If he was a bit bigger, faster or stronger, he'd probably be an everyday energy line player.

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
Your comment provided nothing to the conversation and seemed to take a shot at Vancouver. All teams need depth signings, especially with a flat cap.
Please stop posting.

If you are so put off with my comment suggesting that the Canucks are wasting their time and resources on these guys then perhaps respond with reasoning why they aren’t?

I don’t see why you give a roster spot to 2 guys that have both never played more than 42 games in a single season and are in their mid 20s, far removed from their Draft year. Give your kids those spots

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
The prime of his career is still "meh". He can skate, and that's about it. Not particularly difficult to play against, nor is he anything special with the puck.

To be fair he is likely just entering the prime of his career. He without a doubt will still progress. Considering he is also a defenseman and 26 years old.. it would not be a bad pickup.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Hawk is a third to four line player but super talented: not careful enough for the fourth line and doesn’t produce enough for third but I think he’s worth a shor

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Realistically in any season you need about 9 NHL quality D who can step in and play if needed. In a condensed season the number could be 10. Assuming that one of Juolevi or Rafferty or Rathbone can be one of those guys and Sautner can do a few games in an emergency, ideally Vancouver should sign a couple more depth D but cap constraints may mean it’s just one and the team looks for someone later on if cap can be moved.
It’s going to be a challenging season once the inevitable injuries start to accumulate but hopefully one of the young guys finally takes another step.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
As long as 2 way deals we should load up for the condensed expected season. We need centre's for Utica as well I believe.
Exactly. We (Canucks) already have a boatload of marginal NHL players. I think Benning believes in Juiolevi, Chatfield, Rafferty, and other young D to play on the big club. Plus, they have Benn as an experienced guy in their bottom pair.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
why would I get a peace prize for posting on a hockey boards site?

perhaps a Pulitzer Prize for astute online Journalism is what you were going for on you burn

Take a chill pill, don’t get so offended by someone saying a move made by your favorite team is a waste of resources, in other words better off letting the kids play if you are going to sign that level of player

Jeez, there's several different Nobel prizes, nobody said you'd be getting the peace prize. You can have the Nobel prize in literature "for influential work that with linguistic ingenuity has explored the periphery and the specificity of human experience."

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
If you are so put off with my comment suggesting that the Canucks are wasting their time and resources on these guys then perhaps respond with reasoning why they aren’t?

I don’t see why you give a roster spot to 2 guys that have both never played more than 42 games in a single season and are in their mid 20s, far removed from their Draft year. Give your kids those spots
My response to you, was in reference to the fact that you brought notHing to the discussion but only seemingly wanted to take a shot at the Canucks,....the shot being thinly veiled as some sort of actual analysis. As i previously said, all teams need to fill out their rosters with bottom 6 players. The canucks are looking at Juolevi as their NO.6 left side guy. The singing will likely be a no. 7 depth guy or possibly right side bottom pairing. However this is all beside the point.
As noted above, my comment was in reference to how useless yours was and revealing your actual intention....I don't have much of an opinion in regards to the OP.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

Nobody is being given a roster spot, you have no idea if they are talking one or 2 way deals. The Canucks have very little non NHL depth on D and the right wing with any experience, Gaining some for what will be key in a condensed season will be huge. We have some rookies who may be able to step in if needed, but they will have some support if needed.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Uh...who is the 5 on the depth chart in this scenario? Juolevi?

I'm still holding out hope to sign another D for that role (losing Stecher for this role still chokes me), but failing that the bottom pair is going to be made up of youngsters and/or players better used as a 7D (Fantenberg, Koekoekk).

Benn could rebound to act in that #5 role but he had a bad year last year and was scratched in the playoffs whenever possible.

IMO Benn's money is better spent on two defensemen rather than just him.

Last edited:

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Toffoli and Stetcher replacements.

Vancouver was at a crossroad this off-season. They could not have taken a worse direction. Letting Toffoli go for the 4.25 when he was interested in returning is a big head scratcher

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Schmidt was such a huge add on the D! Adding a top pairing guy at that price!
The top 4 is the best it’s been in quite a few years. Bring in a couple of depth guys and let Rafferty, Juolevi and Rathbone fight for the remaining depth spots.
Excited for the upcoming season.

Reactions: Catamarca Livin

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I guess there is little down side except to owner's wallet. 1 m or less put in Ahl no cost to cap. Other team might pick up with no cost. Should get as many of these as we can depending on 50 contract situation.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Just interest? What does that even mean at this point?

"Hey Slater, we're a interested in your services."

"K, cool. I will likely take a 1yr, 700k deal"

"Hmmmmmm...that does seem steep"

"That is literally the lowest contract you gave me and a lot of players better than me have signed for that..."

"Hmmmmmm...we'll mark you down as someone we are interested in. We'll let you know if you progress to the "kick the tires" category."

"..."

"Alright Slater, we'll you have yourself a good summer!"

"Uh, it's Oct-"

"K, thanks, bye!"

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

Why the hell would we give our “kids” 4th line minutes how on earth will that develop them? :facepalm:

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
why would I get a peace prize for posting on a hockey boards site?

perhaps a Pulitzer Prize for astute online Journalism is what you were going for on you burn

Take a chill pill, don’t get so offended by someone saying a move made by your favorite team is a waste of resources, in other words better off letting the kids play if you are going to sign that level of player

Your ignorance is showing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad