Rumor: Canucks Interested in Nico Sturm (C, Clarkson)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I'm unfamiliar with the contractual details, what does buying out the contract do to help us outside of freeing up a slot?
It saves us about 500k in cap space for 2 years, then saves us about 2.5 million in cap space for the final year. Not a ton, but also frees up a slot. We’re better off burying him in the minors like Gagner if he agrees to it. Or hopefully moving him to a team needing to reach the cap floor.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
It saves us about 500k in cap space for 2 years, then saves us about 2.5 million in cap space for the final year. Not a ton, but also frees up a slot. We’re better off burying him in the minors like Gagner if he agrees to it. Or hopefully moving him to a team needing to reach the cap floor.

All this does is showing how PUTRID this contract was and still is
:laugh:

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

vanarchy

May 3, 2013

All this does is showing how PUTRID this contract was and still is
:laugh:
It was obvious we overpaid but I could have never seen it playing out to this extent. What a disastrous signing...

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Just wanted to point out that a lot of people still think about this but it hasn't really been a thing for a good 5 years or so. As of today this season the bottom for cap teams are projecting 4.4-10.9M above the cap, and these are all teams generally looking to move up in the standings (CAR, NJ, COL. NYI).

Maybe you have Ottawa fall into cap floor territory in the next year or two, but if they do there will be no shortage of contracts for them to take on meaning it will cost the team to dump the player.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
It'll be a while yet before the news on Sturm comes in. Clarkson begins its ECAC quarterfinal series (vs Yale) today. Clarkson is the favourite to advance.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If I'm Nico Sturm, a 6'3 faceoff ace checking line center looking for a spot on an NHL team right out of college, what is drawing me to a team that currently employs Jay Beagle, Brandon Sutter, Tim Schaller, Adam Gaudette and Brendan Gaunce?

That initial tweet seems a little far-fetched. 'We didn't sign this guy so we have enough contracts to sign this guy...'

Sounds made up.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I'm unfamiliar with the contractual details, what does buying out the contract do to help us outside of freeing up a slot?

Absolutely nothing.

No matter if we buy him out this year or next, we're stuck with a minimum $5.5MM cap hit for 2 more seasons before any meaningful relief.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Nothing much. We save $444.5K per year for 2 years, but even an Eriksson level scrub costs $700k-$1m and a slot. So more than Eriksson, though you could use that slot on someone like Strum, of course you could sack Granlund or demote Eriksson or Schaller and get that cap space back and not use a contract slot on an AHL callup.

SEASONBASE SALARYINITIAL CAP HITACTUAL COSTSAVINGSFINAL CAP HIT
2019-20$1,000,000$6,000,000$555,556$444,444$5,555,556
2020-21$1,000,000$6,000,000$555,556$444,444$5,555,556
2021-22$3,000,000$6,000,000$555,556$2,444,444$3,555,556
2022-23$0$0$555,556-$555,556$555,556
2023-24$0$0$555,556-$555,556$555,556
2024-25$0$0$555,556-$555,556$555,556
TOTAL$5,000,000$18,000,000$3,333,333$1,666,667$16,333,333
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Puck Ingrate

Aug 18, 2011
MSP / YVR
If I'm Nico Sturm, a 6'3 faceoff ace checking line center looking for a spot on an NHL team right out of college, what is drawing me to a team that currently employs Jay Beagle, Brandon Sutter, Tim Schaller, Adam Gaudette and Brendan Gaunce?

... probably Jay Beagle, Brandon Sutter, Tim Schaller, Adam Gaudette and Brendan Gaunce? You can add Markus Granlund to that list.

If you're a talented young center with potential, that's not exactly a depth chart full of superstars to beat out. Schaller and Gaunce are irrelevant, Sutter can't stay healthy, Beagle hasn't been great, and Gaudette's far from a lock at this point. You'd be hard-pressed to find an NHL team with worse bottom-six depth.

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
... probably Jay Beagle, Brandon Sutter, Tim Schaller, Adam Gaudette and Brendan Gaunce?

If you're a talented young center with potential, that's not exactly a depth chart full of superstars to beat out. Schaller and Gaunce are irrelevant, Sutter can't stay healthy, Beagle hasn't exactly been great, and Gaudette's far from a lock at this point.

You'd be hard-pressed to find an NHL team with worse bottom-six depth.
but if you are a marginal player that projects as a 4th liner, wouldn't you want to go straight to a team that has a huge hole?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
... probably Jay Beagle, Brandon Sutter, Tim Schaller, Adam Gaudette and Brendan Gaunce?

If you're a talented young center with potential, that's not exactly a depth chart full of superstars to beat out.
I'm not a talented young center. I'm an undrafted soon-to-be 24 year old center with no professional experience. The only thing I have going for me is that I'm technically NHL ready.

Competition for these guys isn't attractive.

Puck Ingrate

Aug 18, 2011
MSP / YVR
I'm not a talented young center. I'm an undrafted soon-to-be 24 year old center with no professional experience. The only thing I have going for me is that I'm technically NHL ready.

Competition for these guys isn't attractive.

but if you are a marginal player that projects as a 4th liner, wouldn't you want to go straight to a team that has a huge hole?

There are very few teams with worse / more uncertain bottom-six forward depth than the Canucks. If you look around the rest of the league, only Arizona, Ottawa, Detroit, New Jersey and Edmonton are real competitors for that crown.

If I'm Nico Sturm, I look at the Canucks and see a forward group that has five to six locks at best (one of whom's now out for the season), a whole bunch of other question marks and no surefire talent coming from the farm team. To me, it's not surprising that he'd consider signing here.

Last edited:

LetsGoTech

Mar 13, 2017
Around 1:50 here you'll see what he's done a lot this year, he does it once again to create a goal at 2:09 now the team they are playing is awful but I'm just giving you a taste offensively, he's limited but he knows his strengths and is intelligent with how he uses those to hide his weaknesses. He keeps so many plays alive and when he's not creating transition opportunities he values possession, there is upside offensively, I'd say above average hands, way below average shot but he's not afraid to create plays as he needs to for his current team, he possesses great balance and his first step is impressive which help him dominate the college game. Physically there's always to room to improve but he's dominating other young men in a very heavy league, he has a great work ethic in the weight room. His progression has been rapid, from Austin in the NAHL for a year to one year in Tri-City of the USHL then coming in as a freshman in a secondary role then took a huge offensive jump as a sophomore and has rolled that over, he works tremendously hard and is a great person which NHL organizations will love too during their interviews.

Where he prides himself is his 200 foot game and that's why he's getting so many looks. I wish there were actual highlights where they show him on the backcheck or causing turnovers on the forecheck, at the college level he owns all 3 zones. Last season I think he led the NCAAs in face-off percentage and was impressive in that regard this season as well, he's one of the best penalty killers in college hockey. Always on the correct side of the opposing skater and has great hockey IQ to read the play a step ahead, there's going to be an adjustment to the pace of play at the NHL level and thinking the game that fast but I think that will come to him pretty quickly and hopefully his offensive game continues to grow. I'll toss in a few other highlights of him that can paint .1% of the picture for you.

4:15 about
1:45-2:15
58-1:12
2019 NCAA Hockey Quinnipiac @ Clarkson 2 1 2019 - 1:11:45

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
There are very few teams with worse / more uncertain bottom-six forward depth than the Canucks. If you look around the rest of the league, only Arizona, Ottawa, Detroit, New Jersey and Edmonton are real competitors for that crown.

If I'm Nico Sturm, I look at the Canucks and see a forward group that has five to six locks at best (one of whom's now out for the season), a whole bunch of other question marks and no surefire talent coming from the farm team. To me, it's not surprising that he'd consider signing here.

Yep. And if I'm Nico Sturm I'll tell every team that is after me that I can play wing and see which one is ready to slot me into the lineup.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Around 1:50 here you'll see what he's done a lot this year, he does it once again to create a goal at 2:09 now the team they are playing is awful but I'm just giving you a taste offensively, he's limited but he knows his strengths and is intelligent with how he uses those to hide his weaknesses. He keeps so many plays alive and when he's not creating transition opportunities he values possession, there is upside offensively, I'd say above average hands, way below average shot but he's not afraid to create plays as he needs to for his current team, he possesses great balance and his first step is impressive which help him dominate the college game. Physically there's always to room to improve but he's dominating other young men in a very heavy league, he has a great work ethic in the weight room. His progression has been rapid, from Austin in the NAHL for a year to one year in Tri-City of the USHL then coming in as a freshman in a secondary role then took a huge offensive jump as a sophomore and has rolled that over, he works tremendously hard and is a great person which NHL organizations will love too during their interviews.

Where he prides himself is his 200 foot game and that's why he's getting so many looks. I wish there were actual highlights where they show him on the backcheck or causing turnovers on the forecheck, at the college level he owns all 3 zones. Last season I think he led the NCAAs in face-off percentage and was impressive in that regard this season as well, he's one of the best penalty killers in college hockey. Always on the correct side of the opposing skater and has great hockey IQ to read the play a step ahead, there's going to be an adjustment to the pace of play at the NHL level and thinking the game that fast but I think that will come to him pretty quickly and hopefully his offensive game continues to grow. I'll toss in a few other highlights of him that can paint .1% of the picture for you.

4:15 about
1:45-2:15
58-1:12
2019 NCAA Hockey Quinnipiac @ Clarkson 2 1 2019 - 1:11:45
Good stuff. Thanks.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
... probably Jay Beagle, Brandon Sutter, Tim Schaller, Adam Gaudette and Brendan Gaunce? You can add Markus Granlund to that list.

If you're a talented young center with potential, that's not exactly a depth chart full of superstars to beat out. Schaller and Gaunce are irrelevant, Sutter can't stay healthy, Beagle hasn't been great, and Gaudette's far from a lock at this point. You'd be hard-pressed to find an NHL team with worse bottom-six depth.

You could probably make the same statement in regards to our top 6 depth as well.We have one elite player (EP40),a high end center (Bo) and one high end winger (BB).
This means that middling guys who would be bottom sixers on most other teams (Leivo,Pearson,Roussel) are needed to fill in the vacant spots in the top 6 which leaves room in the bottom 6 for a young and cheap guy to earn a spot.

Next season,I could see Gaudette becoming a top 6 fixture on the wing or Sutter being traded and Gaudette taking his spot and Schaller,Granlund,and Gaunce as 13/14 forwards or AHL depth.That really only leaves Beagle as his competition for the 4C spot and given that Beagle is older and getting more injury prone,there's likely a spot to be had even if Sturm has to start off playing wing and platoon at C as needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Puck Ingrate

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

It's not just about the quality of the players though you also have to look at the contract status. Jay Beagle may not be a very good player, but if the GM gave him a 4 year $12M contract and you're on a 2-way ELC, you have to be more than marginally better than Beagle. And on the Canucks pretty much the entire bottom 6 plus press box players is made up of Jay Beagle's.

I don't know much about the guy but you usually can't expect too much of these types of signings and I'd have to think he has a lot of confidence in himself and/or just really likes the city if he signs with Vancouver.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Nico Sturm's Clarkson beat Yale on the weekend to advance to the ECAC final tournament (at least I think that's how it works). Clarkson will play again this Friday.

So, the wait continues.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
And ... Clarkson beat Rathbone's Harvard last night, so it's onward for Sturm (who I think was voted best defensive forward in the ECAC, or something like that).

Sturm had two assists in Clarkson's 5-2 victory.

I'm thinking that not offering Brassard a contract (despite his obvious limitations) and the delay in getting Lockwood signed means that the Canucks are still hoping to ink another free agent, whether Sturm or someone else.

Clarkson plays Cornell tonight.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Why worry about whether or not Loui will agree to it? If he doesn't and refuses to report, terminate his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad