Rumor: Canucks Interested in Nico Sturm (C, Clarkson)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Brad Richardson had 3 goal all of last year. He would be a great guy to have in the locker room as well. No I don’t know Gaudette personally but I do know a lot. My profile pic is me and Sam Reinhart and another bud that plays D1. I, myself have played D1 college as well, so i do understand the value of having someone like Beags on the team.

And Beagle also has 3 goals...at 3 times the price. I'm not even disputing that there is value to leadership/character. I'm asking, how much value does it have? Is it worth paying a guy 3 times what he's worth and tacking extra years onto his contract? I wouldn't say so.

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
Gaunce isn’t the only example you can use as a comparable. There are almost always a fair amount of decent 4th line centres that are signed for cheap in free agency. Anything over $1.5 mill is overpayment by virtue of what the rest of the market sees.
Again that’s what other have been saying on this board. Should’ve used Gaunce instead. I’m not a huge fan of the contract myself but that’s what it took to land Beagle because he is a winner and knows what it take to win. Also just came off of a championship run. Always one of the better face off centres. Especially when our team does make the playoffs hopefully within the next few years. The younger guys will look to Beags.

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
Just because other teams' GMs are doing stupid things doesn't mean Jim gets a pass for doing it too. That goes double for a team that should be rebuilding and trying to avoid bad contracts that just get worse and worse as you run into the competitive phase. The Canucks are going to have $9m tied up in geriatric declining Eriksson and Beagle when they are trying to compete again, it was incredible obvious the whole time and yet they still went out and signed those daft contracts.
I don’t agree with Eriksson signing but I don’t mind the Beagle signing. He offers more than what the fans and media sees within that locker room.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Again that’s what other have been saying on this board. Should’ve used Gaunce instead. I’m not a huge fan of the contract myself but that’s what it took to land Beagle because he is a winner and knows what it take to win. Also just came off of a championship run. Always one of the better face off centres. Especially when our team does make the playoffs hopefully within the next few years. The younger guys will look to Beags.

If that's what it takes...then you just don't sign him. He's bringing value to the team much lower than his pay grade. It's not worth it. And if he was so integral to a championship calibre team...why did the Caps just let him go?

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Brad Richardson won a cup and is much better at ice hockey, but yeah locker room right.

Jay Beagle the winner has our team at 25th in the league this year, wow!

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
And Beagle also has 3 goals...at 3 times the price. I'm not even disputing that there is value to leadership/character. I'm asking, how much value does it have? Is it worth paying a guy 3 times what he's worth and tacking extra years onto his contract? I wouldn't say so.
A lot, ideally it should of been a 3 year deal but the 4th obviously one of the main reason why we landed him. Personally I believe if we make the playoffs within the time frame of his contract, his signing is a success. He can really show our younger players what playoff hockey is about. Other than Bo’s first year, none of our young players have playoff experience.

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
If that's what it takes...then you just don't sign him. He's bringing value to the team much lower than his pay grade. It's not worth it. And if he was so integral to a championship calibre team...why did the Caps just let him go?
They wanted to sign him but they had to pay Carlson. Trotz really pushed for him to get him to Long Island. Coming from a Coach who just won the Cup shows how much Beags is valued

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Total beast? Bo himself said he’s glad Beagle is coming back so he doesn’t have to take as many D face offs. Beagle brings a lot more, experience and younger guys can learn from Beags. If you’ve played any level College or higher you would understand. I remember my freshmen year, senior players really helped me in a lot of ways especially ones that have been there for longer.

You're really grasping at straws now.

I love how you just keep shifting your argument. Face it, your "Beagle is important so Petey can have zone starts" is nonsense.

Reactions: timw33

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

This reasoning isn't great. Otherwise we should have pursued Andrew Desjardins or Bickell since they won a Cup in 2015. The train of thought that X player on Cup team = valuable is ridiculous and an untenable position to argue.

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
You're really grasping at straws now.

I love how you just keep shifting your argument. Face it, your "Beagle is important so Petey can have zone starts" is nonsense.
Like I stated before, you often see Beagle out there taking face offs for Gaudette and even Pettersson line. Do you not watch the games?

member 290103

Brad Richardson won a cup and is much better at ice hockey, but yeah locker room right.

Jay Beagle the winner has our team at 25th in the league this year, wow!

Beagle has been a terrible signing. No two ways about it.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Just because other teams' GMs are doing stupid things doesn't mean Jim gets a pass for doing it too. That goes double for a team that should be rebuilding and trying to avoid bad contracts that just get worse and worse as you run into the competitive phase. The Canucks are going to have $9m tied up in geriatric declining Eriksson and Beagle when they are trying to compete again, it was incredible obvious the whole time and yet they still went out and signed those daft contracts.
Looks like the Canucks might buy out Eriksson after July 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad