Rumor: Canucks Interested in Nico Sturm (C, Clarkson)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
According to Patrick Johnston:

Patrick Johnston‏Verified account @risingaction
FollowFollow @risingaction

Side point: Canucks were also in on Max Veronneau, who ended up signing with Ottawa. If they'd have signed him, would have put Canucks at 49 contracts. You're allowed 50. They harbour dreams of signing Nico Sturm, so needed to hold a spot for him. Helps explain Lockwood delay.​

The story emphasizes yet again that it's a mistake to take on contracts without thinking things through carefully.

It's not looking good for Matt Brassard.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Beyond Lockwood and maybe 1 more college Ufa I don’t think spots will be an issue.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
can't the canucks sign guys now but effective july 1st? lots of spots will open then.
College ufas want to sign now and burn a year off the elc by playing now. We would be in a severe disadvantage in trying to convince college UFAs to sign with us. If I remember correctly, I believe that free agents signed after trade deadline can play now but just can't be available for the playoffs.

I've don't think you can sign guys now and have it effective july 1st. These college ufas have to sign ELCs which means the contract can slide provided they are young enough.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
College ufas want to sign now and burn a year off the elc by playing now. We would be in a severe disadvantage in trying to convince college UFAs to sign with us. If I remember correctly, I believe that free agents signed after trade deadline can play now but just can't be available for the playoffs.

I've don't think you can sign guys now and have it effective july 1st. These college ufas have to sign ELCs which means the contract can slide provided they are young enough.
Most of these college free agents are older anyways. So, it's 2 year deal for the majority of them. Only cause Teves is 24 does he get a 1 year deal. So, they will get a chance to see what anyone they sign will do in the AHL next season. If they don't develop, you cut bait or work out a new deal.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Anyone with any thoughts on Sturm? (I realize I was the one who headed the conversation in the direction of contracts etc.)

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC
Pronman has him at #2 on his list of CHL, College, and Europe free agents:

"2. Nico Sturm, C, Clarkson-ECAC
May 3, 1995 | 6-foot-3 | 207 pounds
Sturm is a player who could project to the NHL as a fourth-line center due to the fact he’s 6-foot-3, skates well for a big man and has decent offensive tools. He’s by no means a playmaker, but he moves the puck well and has decent hands in tight. Sturm competes hard, gets to the net consistently and can kill penalties. He’s been one of the best players in the ECAC this season and I could see a quick transition in how he plays to the pro level."

Pronman: Ranking the top free agents from the CHL, college...

Reactions: CanuckCity

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Pronman has him at #2 on his list of CHL, College, and Europe free agents:

"2. Nico Sturm, C, Clarkson-ECAC
May 3, 1995 | 6-foot-3 | 207 pounds
Sturm is a player who could project to the NHL as a fourth-line center due to the fact he’s 6-foot-3, skates well for a big man and has decent offensive tools. He’s by no means a playmaker, but he moves the puck well and has decent hands in tight. Sturm competes hard, gets to the net consistently and can kill penalties. He’s been one of the best players in the ECAC this season and I could see a quick transition in how he plays to the pro level."

Pronman: Ranking the top free agents from the CHL, college...

So, the next Gaunce? Beagle? Sutter?

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Hopefully he has a better stint here than Marco did.

Hmm let's see, play with the best German born player in NHL history or play for the team whose fans shat all over your dad when he was playing injured. Tough call...

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Hmm let's see, play with the best German born player in NHL history or play for the team whose fans shat all over your dad when he was playing injured. Tough call...

If there's a German he should ask its ehrhoff and he played here just fine. Marco barely played here at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad