Canucks in Spengler Cup

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Koltov was probably our next highest skilled player after Naslund when he got drafted. If he stayed another year he would probably made full time...
While I don't think it was the sole or major reason why Koltsov decided to give up on a NHL career; I can't help but think that Smyl's ill-fated "training" as a coach for the Moose had something do with with Koltsov's decision.

Loved Smyl as a player for the Canucks; gave it all for the team his entire playing career. But as a coach? bleh (granted, even the great Gretzky didn't turn out to be a good coach - so he's got company there).

May 31, 2006
While I don't think it was the sole or major reason why Koltsov decided to give up on a NHL career; I can't help but think that Smyl's ill-fated "training" as a coach for the Moose had something do with with Koltsov's decision.

I believe Randy Carlyle was coach when Koltsov left.

May 29, 2009
watched the first training camp koltsov participated in with the 'nucks - he was in terrible shape, we called him puffer cause he was always bent over breathing hard. he has amazing stickhandling tho.

KidCanuck*

Schneider is backing up right now on tsn, he made sure to fill his thermos and he is grabbing some bench :dumbo:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
From what I recall, Koltsov felt he was entitled to a spot on the Canucks' roster and was upset that he had to pay his dues in the AHL first.

I recall it a little differently, actually - I seem to remember him initially leaving due to his mother's health. I think people thought it was a short-term thing at first, but we all know how that played out.

KidCanuck*

Ref-1-637x415.jpg

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Yeah his hand/wrist got stepped on in during a game and he was never the same. It wasn't just his shot that suffered, it was also the way he played. He started to shy away from the dirty area's after that.

If I'm not mistaken, it's actually somewhat remarkable that he has even managed to play pro hockey after that. They initially didn't think he'd regain proper use of his hand.

KidCanuck*

The guy who does the color commentary makes me want to punch stuff. Now I know what Jason Botchford would sound like if he was a color commentator.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Fribourg is playing canada today/tommorow?

Does that mean cory is going to go against canada?

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
How has Schneider been playing? I haven't been able to watch the games. A bit worrisome if he isn't able rise to another level during a tournament.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
i wonder what luongo123's angle was with that post?

haha. calm down. I'm in love with schneider.

I saw someone say he played baaaad in the spengler cup main thread so I was just wondering how he played. I know he killed it in the playoffs for us. in the game he played before this one he had like 15 saves and gave up a few goals.

Also, it's luongo321, not luongo123.

KidCanuck*

Any goalie can look bad with these terrible teams in front of them. Garbage teams, garbage coaches with garbage systems, garbage refs, and garbage announcers. Painful to watch but slightly better muted.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Schneider didn't play the best, but if that was a Canucks team in front of him some of those goals may not have even developed.

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
Didn't watch the game but just took a look at the rosters, there is a substantial difference in quality.

Team Canada has Matt Duchene, John Tavares, Tyler Seguin, Jason Spezza, Patrice Bergeron, Sam Gagner, Ryan Smyth, Cam Barker, Jason Demers, and other lesser names.

Compared to Fribourg; Patric Hornqvist, Maxime Talbot, David Desharnais, Bruno Gervais, and Cory Schneider.

Just look at the disparity in talent level, :amazed: no wonder Schneider was lit up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad