GDT: Canucks host Jets Feb 21- 7pm PST/10pm EST/Feb 22 4am CET/7am GST/11am HKT/2pm AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It Pettersson finishes his 3rd season with significantly worse ppg and gpg stats than in his 1st and 2nd seasons those contract discussions are going to be very interesting. Not quite the scenario he or is agent is hoping for.
Would that scenario, as it’s shaping up right now, lead to abridge deal, where the dollars in the final year are a lot more than the previous, so the AAV might be lower, but Petey could earn an improved QO. Kind of like Boeser? Or is that not the case with the new contract, and the QO is based on the AAV, and no longer the last year?

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Would that scenario, as it’s shaping up right now, lead to abridge deal, where the dollars in the final year are a lot more than the previous, so the AAV might be lower, but Petey could earn an improved QO. Kind of like Boeser? Or is that not the case with the new contract, and the QO is based on the AAV, and no longer the last year?

I was for bridging Pettersson before because it'd have cost way too much to sign him long-term but I think with him slumping it'd be the best chance to sign him to a long-term steal of a deal.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I was for bridging Pettersson before because it'd have cost way too much to sign him long-term but I think with him slumping it'd be the best chance to sign him to a long-term steal of a deal.
8 - 9 x max term? Fair?

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008

Good questions. The only thing I know is I am not confident with Benning being the one in charge of negotiating the deal.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Pettersson has been burning money by the day with his performance this season. What will it take for him to bounce back? Sack the coach? get miller the hell of his line? I need to see vintage Petey
Yep, although nobody really wants to talk about it, the Canucks swan dive this season and Pettersson' uneven performance is going to make it a lot easier to re-sign him in the off-season. Same with Hughes, although he's still wracking up the points.

Could be the 'silver lining' in an otherwise crushingly disappointing season.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
8 - 9 x max term? Fair?

Fair I think.

However I believe Pettersson is eligible to sign offersheets this offseason. A team could offersheet him up to $10.9 million and only lose 2 firsts, 1 2nd, and 1 3rd round pick to the Canucks in compensation. There is probably at least one GM in the league who would be willing to do that to get a player like Pettersson.

I'm not sure if Pettersson is the type of player who would try to play hardball, but his agent might be.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Fair I think.

However I believe Pettersson is eligible to sign offersheets this offseason. A team could offersheet him up to $10.9 million and only lose 2 firsts, 1 2nd, and 1 3rd round pick to the Canucks in compensation. There is probably at least one GM in the league who would be willing to do that to get a player like Pettersson.

I'm not sure if Pettersson is the type of player who would try to play hardball, but his agent might be.
Imo any number over 9 would be too much for Petey. If he gets an offer sheet (and signs it) and the compensation is what you point out I hope our GM would figure if that team was going to be bottom ten or not. If bottom ten then back to back top ten picks would need to be considered, no?

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Imo any number over 9 would be too much for Petey. If he gets an offer sheet (and signs it) and the compensation is what you point out I hope our GM would figure if that team was going to be bottom ten or not. If bottom ten then back to back top ten picks would need to be considered, no?

I haven't looked into which teams could potentially clear capspace to make such an offer: probably with a stagnant cap there aren't many where it would be feasible. Maybe it won't be a concern for Pettersson's contract. But there is so much parity in the league that if a team did add a #1 centre (assuming Pettersson played like one) it's hard to be confident that they would stay in the bottom 10.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I haven't looked into which teams could potentially clear capspace to make such an offer: probably with a stagnant cap there aren't many where it would be feasible. Maybe it won't be a concern for Pettersson's contract. But there is so much parity in the league that if a team did add a #1 centre (assuming Pettersson played like one) it's hard to be confident that they would stay in the bottom 10.
Good point. Almost have to match.

Reactions: larmex99

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Screen_Shot_2021-02-21_at_3.57.47_PM.png

Who's ready to see more Miller High IQ plays?

Reactions: The Poacher

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Me 2 years ago: "Yikes that team is screwed. They lost depth in Byfuglien, Trouba, Chariot, Armia, Tanev and Myers."

Just goes to show what a proactive GM can do.

Reactions: vanuck and geebaan

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Good point. Almost have to match.

If I was the GM I would go over the team's entire plan with a player like Pettersson looking to sign a big contract, and explain precisely why him taking a little less money would help the team win the Stanley Cup in a few years. I really expect most players would prefer to win a cup making $9 million a year instead of playing on a mediocre team making $10.9 million a year.

I believe that's what Gillis did with the Sedins, and ended up getting them for a hometown discount in 2009.

Problem is Benning has such a history of paying shit players big bucks that no sensible player would trust him to make good use of extra capspace.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I think they’re just gonna take it one shift at a time and make sure they’re hard on the forecheck. They’ll also want to make sure they take care of the puck and get to the dirty areas.
Did I miss anything?
They got a good team over, you have to give them credit Jerr they played a good low event game

Additionally, NO Star Trak references this time Jerr Bear

Reactions: The Vasili Jerry

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
When is the last time our bottom 6 scored? I literally get choked just looking at the line up lol

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I think they’re just gonna take it one shift at a time and make sure they’re hard on the forecheck. They’ll also want to make sure they take care of the puck and get to the dirty areas.
Did I miss anything?

Yah. Keep the shifts short and make simple plays. Get back to basics and be tough to play against by being hard on pucks.

Reactions: Ginger Papa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad