Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Habs 2-1 (SO) (Gaudette)

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Dammit MS you triggered me having to go to cap friendly and look up just how badly this management team has f*ucked things up.

8 UFAs....9 including Spooner off the books.

17 RFAs that a decision has to be made.

25 players Benning needs to negotiate with or not negotiate with.

Not going to derail this thread as all this information belongs in the management Thread but sh*t....we better get it going tonight as time is definitely running out with this current management.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I'm unclear as to what either Michaelis or Hawryluk have done to stay in the lineup over MacEwen.
I've really liked what I've seen from Michaelis. He's mobile and smart positionally. I could see him being a long term, cheap solution to the bottom 6 based on the small sample size thus far.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
The numbers, the points are so encouraging and illusionary.

Looking forward it seems the Canucks are on the cusp of making the payoffs, only a mere 4 points behind the Canadiens.
But that 4 points, 2 wins comes with a "but"
It is that they have 4 games in hand, which they will still have no matter these next two games.

Not only does the team need to win at an absurd rate, they have to have unprecedented string of health to key defensive players for the rest of the season.

Benning reluctance to even bother to investigate possible trades until the other GM' s tell him his players aren't worth much because the team is in the bottom third of the league and the fairy tale of 3 weeks to make a trade assure this team's demise.

Scary part, next year will be worse because of Benning's management over the last 7 years, the cap and those clause contracts will haunt the team next year as well.

Montreal played with the Canucks the first go round, this time the hope is play against, as versus a rival team.

But Montreal is Montreal and seem to have their shit together

Montreal by 3
That's why you play a game at a time.

On Mar 1st,
We were:
10 pts back of Edm(1 gm in hand)
9 pts back of Wpg (4 gms)
5 back of Mon (4 gms)
4 back of Cgy (2 gms)

5 days later:
6 pts back of Edm (2 gms in hand)
7 pts back of Wpg (3 gms)
4 pts back of Mon (4 gms)
tied with Cgy (3 gms)

This is a day by day/week by week chip away process....
We got to chip away winning 3 outta 5 gms... and we'll make it interesting at the end.
As a bonus - hope Toronto gets smoking hot... as well as Ottawa to continue to play 500 like they have been recently

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
I've really liked what I've seen from Michaelis. He's mobile and smart positionally. I could see him being a long term, cheap solution to the bottom 6 based on the small sample size thus far.
You must be seeing something that I'm not seeing. I don't want to write a guy off after only a couple of games (though that's all it took with Chatfield) but he doesn't look like NHL material right now. At this point, I'd rather have Roussel in the line up to get punched, kill penalties and skate around, at least until the Canucks are REALLY out of the playoffs.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
You must be seeing something that I'm not seeing. I don't want to write a guy off after only a couple of games (though that's all it took with Chatfield) but he doesn't look like NHL material right now. At this point, I'd rather have Roussel in the line up to get punched, kill penalties and skate around, at least until the Canucks are REALLY out of the playoffs.
I like his speed and I see some pretty good hockey sense from him. He also looks coachable. I earnestly think that he is a part of why the bottom 6 has looked more stout defensively lately. It's really early, but I like what I'm seeing thus far.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
I like his speed and I see some pretty good hockey sense from him. He also looks coachable. I earnestly think that he is a part of why the bottom 6 has looked more stout defensively lately. It's really early, but I like what I'm seeing thus far.
That may certainly be true (hopefully) but he's probably better off getting game action in Utica where he can develop those skills.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

You're seeing something different from me because I think his skating looks below-average and his positional sense and coverage defensively has been horrific (and directly led to 2 goals in his first two games).

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015

Yeah he looks like Marcus Granlund to me.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Prepare for a lengthy read. The keys to the game:

1) Keep Toffoli off the score sheet

Do all those and they easily win.

My goals tonight.

1. Win the game
2. Don't let Toffoli score god damnit
3. Höglander multi point game (who needs Toffoli)

Also

Do we have an HFboards Canucks discord?

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
You're seeing something different from me because I think his skating looks below-average and his positional sense and coverage defensively has been horrific (and directly led to 2 goals in his first two games).

This, when Motte comes back this guy should sit...

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
What happens to the "second mouse gets the cheese" concept, lol.
The great thing about that invention is it also has a built in alarm to let you know that it worked. Just cock the trap again and you have 5 more "mouse pellets" ready to go.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I don’t mind benn, he’s been very decent for his role.
It’s hamonic I don’t like, we need to develop juolevi
He's been as advertised since returning from injury.

I think some have his first few games cemented in their brains and I wouldn't blame em... But he's been part of the positive results lately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad