Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Habs 2-1 (SO) (Gaudette)

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
8f5f18b8-4c7c-45f7-86f1-8f707b302663-gif.404748

That's just adding injury to . . . injury . . .

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
The numbers, the points are so encouraging and illusionary.

Looking forward it seems the Canucks are on the cusp of making the payoffs, only a mere 4 points behind the Canadiens.
But that 4 points, 2 wins comes with a "but"
It is that they have 4 games in hand, which they will still have no matter these next two games.

Not only does the team need to win at an absurd rate, they have to have unprecedented string of health to key defensive players for the rest of the season.

Benning reluctance to even bother to investigate possible trades until the other GM' s tell him his players aren't worth much because the team is in the bottom third of the league and the fairy tale of 3 weeks to make a trade assure this team's demise.

Scary part, next year will be worse because of Benning's management over the last 7 years, the cap and those clause contracts will haunt the team next year as well.

Montreal played with the Canucks the first go round, this time the hope is play against, as versus a rival team.

But Montreal is Montreal and seem to have their shit together

Montreal by 3

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
I'm unclear as to what either Michaelis or Hawryluk have done to stay in the lineup over MacEwen.

The answer, MS, is nothing.

Like I'm at the point now that any hockey related decision this organization makes is dumb, wrong, and based from flawed logic.

Why isn't MacEwan playing more after playing well on the 4th line and even driving play?

Why is DiPietro still on the taxi squad and not playing in the A?

Why did it take months to send Rathbone down for some experience?

Why does Juolevi get benched after playing decent enough and scoring his first goal?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What hurts about these AHL decisions is that they should have been made before the AHL started back up with the 2 week quaratine period required to cross the border. Either keep the AHL club in Canada, which wasn't going to happen since they decided to share Utica with the Blues. But, couldn't the Canucks have worked out something with the Flames/Oilers for them to combine AHL rosters to create 2 teams since they each would have 5 players on the Taxi?

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
I feel like we'll do better than we did in our previous games against them. Whether that's enough for a win or not remains to be seen. But I think we'll be much more competitive.

Someone watch Toffoli whenever he's out there...
I have this same feeling. We have been playing well and ìf we're going to do anything to salvage this season...it begins tonight.

Keeping tofu off the scoresheet is step 1 imho :nod:

Reactions: Ginger Papa

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The answer, MS, is nothing.

Like I'm at the point now that any hockey related decision this organization makes is dumb, wrong, and based from flawed logic.

Why isn't MacEwan playing more after playing well on the 4th line and even driving play?

Why is DiPietro still on the taxi squad and not playing in the A?

Why did it take months to send Rathbone down for some experience?

Why does Juolevi get benched after playing decent enough and scoring his first goal?

Some of these are management and some are the coaching staff. But it all just reeks of incompetence.

I feel for MacEwen. He's played really well this year at both ends of the rink but can't get back into the lineup. Meanwhile a guy like Michaelis looks like a middling AHLer who has no idea what to do defensively at the pro level and is getting a run of games. And of course Roussel is welded into the lineup.

And the Juolevi-Benn situation is just a joke.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Their C without Petey are Horvat, Miller, Gaudette, Beagle, Sutter. So, they have enough C dressed that these spares, they don't need to worry about ensuring that there is a C. Just how Green coaches.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Some of these are management and some are the coaching staff. But it all just reeks of incompetence.

I feel for MacEwen. He's played really well this year at both ends of the rink but can't get back into the lineup. Meanwhile a guy like Michaelis looks like a middling AHLer who has no idea what to do defensively at the pro level and is getting a run of games. And of course Roussel is welded into the lineup.

And the Juolevi-Benn situation is just a joke.

Certainly. I was just highlighting how the entire organization's pro development is ass, from bottom to top.

Sucks Mac can't play when he's shown he can. You would think that home team developed prospects like that would get the most rope.. but NOPE, some random UFA signing is in over him.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
We've spent almost 5 years developing MacEwen to the point where he looks like a competent NHLer ready for more minutes, and instead are scratching him to dress a guy like Michaelis who is older than MacEwen and looks hopeless out there. It hurts my head.
I hear ya.
But that's the MO of this current management. They simply can't recognize what works for them! Players like MacEwen or Baertschi and even a UFA like Toffoli...nope.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It's nice we get to see Miller at centre again. Hope he drives play and takes over like he did last game with Boeser.

What will it take to get Roussel out of the lineup? Absolutely useless.

I thought Roussel has looked better and had more jump lately, but I don't see what he brings as older player who isn't going to be back when you have the opportunity to see what someone younger can bring in a regular role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad